Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Can you help? Edinburgh charity bike park vs NIMBYS
  • doom_mountain

Signed, sounds like a great idea.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to spending an hour two at the pumptrack whilst my son is at the Commie Pool. Maybe a regular STW meet up, safety in numbers and all that.

ehrob

Signed. You appear to have done a very good job to get this far, well done.

I agree that no matter how difficult the minority of local residents are, you have to try and keep them onside. They aren’t going anywhere and you’re going to need to somehow co-exist. I wonder if they’ll be receptive to community events or anything of that ilk once you’re up and running?

Good luck.

opusone
    Free Member

Signed and liked.

If you need volunteer labour I’ll be moving to Edinburgh in July and would be happy to help out.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

We’re having a volunteer tree planting day on Saturday if anyone wants to come get involved?
    Details of the FB page:
    https://m.facebook.com/skelfedinburgh/

The petition is about showing that they’ve not got the only side to the argument, and getting people to know about the project and get invested into it.

Going to up the PR game tomorrow – contacting lots of cycling news sites, pro cyclists etc – just needed to get something concrete and positive to give to them.

Thanks for all the support, we’re way out ahead now!

chickenman

This reminds me of bouldering on the stone embankment in Dumbiedykes back in the ’80s. The residents used to throw bottles at us, hurl abuse suggesting we were setting their kids bad examples whilst the little darlings in question used to ask us if it were cocaine we were applying to our fingers… 😀
    Have signed btw.

Phil_H

Signed.
    Best of luck. The NIMBYS in my neck of the woods have just managed to torpedo the building of a new school.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We were supposed to be going away but if I’m about I’d be up for helping. I can even bring my own spade. I read somewhere about the things the NIMBYS would like there, might be worth trying to accommodate some of those. I think they said something about allotments so maybe suggest building some raised beds? Going out of your way to accommodate them even a little bit might swing some of their support your way.

fatmax

Great idea – good for you!
    Multiple benefits from doing this – NIMBY ****ts do my nut in.
    Good luck with it.

TheFlyingOx

The NIMBYS in my neck of the woods have just managed to torpedo the building of a new school.

St Andrews? A bit more info needed I think. It’s not as if folk hate the idea of children having a decent school. It’s that due legal process was circumvented during the planning process and resulted in a less-than-suitable site being chosen.

Phil_H

Yes St Andrews. That’s what they managed to convince the judge, but it’s nimby that’s behind it.
    One of the objectors even described the pipelands plans as “evil”

aracer
    Free Member

The NIMBYs seem keen on trees, you should invite them.

hebridean
    Free Member

Signed and best of luck. Your plans look fantastic and its something I would use when in Edinburgh. Can’t understand the NIMBY’s either or attitude. Surely you are improving the area for all! I might have missed reference to this but have you been in touch with Developing Mountain Biking in Scotland and SNH. They should be able to help. SNH have Greenspace initiatives and have supported development of mountain bike facilities. Apologies if you are ahead of me on that one.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips – will definitely get on to those guys, the more support and even awareness we can raise the better.

The park is going to be great – we’ve got Claudio Calouri (the guy who does the Red Bull DH videos)’s company Velosolutions building the pump track and ArchiTrail doing the MTB trails.
    Noone seems interested in the 10ft gap jump I suggested though…. health and safety or some rubbish 😉

Here’s the Facebook event for our volunteer tree planitng day if anyone wants to come along (or even share it on their own Facebook?): https://www.facebook.com/events/1245429282137263/

Ooft, the support petition is up over 1300 now!

Was just about to contact STW Towers about it, but see they’re ahead of the game! http://singletrackworld.com/2016/03/charity-behind-mini-glentress-hit-back-at-opposing-petition/

kcal

Signed. If its the space I imagine, then any effort targeting it will be worthwhile. Can’t imagine that the current residents or neighbours want it as it is!

BikePawl
    Free Member

Signed, I was speaking to the head teacher at Royal mile PS about a year ago and he was really keen on the project.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It amazes me…what would the NIMBYs rather have, local yoof either sat at home in front of a Playstation, hanging around on the streets or being encouraged to get outside and do something worthwhile?

Signed.

gordimhor

signed and shared.

BoardinBob

Having some “debate” on the anti page on facebook. They’re a pretty special lot.

maxlite
    Free Member

Signed and shared, also on local mtb group page

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Having some “debate” on the anti page on facebook.

Good luck with that. I was doing the same last week and they deleted all the comments, shame as they weren’t doing themselves any favours and they’ve blocked me from making any more comments.

ski78

Signed and shared. Superb idea and fantastic that your doing this.
    I’d be down on Saturday but will be racing in Glentress, I’ll keep an eye on the FB page for others.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Good luck with that. I was doing the same last week and they deleted all the comments, shame as they weren’t doing themselves any favours and they’ve blocked me from making any more comments.

Was that the one where they accused all skaters and bmx of being drug abusers?

Idiots. Signed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Signed. Good luck.

v8ninety

Signed. Bloody nimbys. How did the local news article go? Fair handed? (Not on FB so limited as to info)

v8ninety

Any update on this?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

All is good. Had lots of volunteers help us clear brambles and plant fruit trees today.

Track will be built in summer

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Date for the diary

The guys are having another session on the 24th. They’re really pleased with response to the petition and would love it if a few of those people could make it along to lend a hand. It’ll be a good chance to see what they’ve done so far and maybe have a little input into what you’d like to see. Given the number of bricks and coping stones we dug up I reckon we could make a mtbing equivalent of Paris-Roubaix.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Can you help? Edinburgh charity bike park vs NIMBYS’ is closed to new replies.