Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Can you get plantar fasciitis from riding bike
  • lichtenberg
    Free Member

Plantar fasciitis sounds nasty if you dont know what plantar fasciit i know runner can often get it but is it a big deal in the biker world? Im just starting biking used to be a runner so just wondering..if need to be carefull or not…

Thanks

crikey
    Free Member

I think that proper stiff sole shoes would help to prevent it being an issue, but I don’t have much experience of it. I did have it for a while when I ran, but have never had a problem while cycling.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

I suffer from this, I find biking has no effect on it at all.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i get it and don’t run 😀

proper stiff shoes – nah

for me any hard impact on my heels sets it off, even walking around the house bare foot

stretching your legs helps, and getting properly made insoles for your shoes to reduce the hard impacts on your heels

and more stretching 😆

feisty
    Free Member

I had this after my heavy winter duvet was pulling my feet forward/down in bed, was very painful (as mentioned riding was the only thing that didn’t aggravate it.

I did lots of stretching on the bottom stair and at work got a foot rest so I was spending all day in a gentle stretched position.

All sorted now 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

I got it after a 1900 mile ride down the west coast of the states, work paid for a few physio sessions and all better now. Bloody painfull though.

AngusWells

Yes, you can get it from cycling. A lot of cycling shoes don’t provide much support for the arches (a particular problem if you are flat footed) which is then combined with a stiff sole that doesn’t encourage any flex in the plantar fascia itself. At least that’s what I’ve been told; genuine medical knowledge, nil.

mrmoofo

I suffer from it – if anything biking loosens the whole thing up. I am trying to get out on the bike every other day just to keep my schillies, and heels more mobile

GolfChick
    Free Member

My OH started road biking to work and wore some road shoes that he said didnt support him well enough and has suffered ever since with this revolting injury! Its been well over a year and its only just the last month or so that he hasnt complained of agonising foot pain everyday.

JCL
    Free Member

Yes, you can get it from cycling. A lot of cycling shoes don’t provide much support for the arches (a particular problem if you are flat footed) which is then combined with a stiff sole that doesn’t encourage any flex in the plantar fascia itself. At least that’s what I’ve been told; genuine medical knowledge, nil.

Using shoes with arch support and hardly ever being barefooted is causing a legacy of problems which is then being compounded by the orthopaedic industry selling people insoles they don’t need. Strengthen your feet, don’t use insoles! They’ll only make your feet weaker.

lichtenberg
    Free Member

according too this plantar fasciitis can cause heel spurs ouch!

Pigface
    Free Member

Golf chick, get him to a physio, it can be sorted out, I was unable to walk more than 100m without it hurting real bad. Now with some physio and some exercises at home all gone away.

DickBarton

Policeman’s Heel – it is very painful but clears up after a couple of days of ‘rest’…doubt it would happen from cycling…

ezrida
    Free Member

I had plantar fasciitis from running. I used to ride my bike whenever I took rest from running. I had no problems with my feet after riding my bike. You can find more

carlphillips
    Free Member

Using shoes with arch support and hardly ever being barefooted is causing a legacy of problems which is then being compounded by the orthopaedic industry selling people insoles they don’t need. Strengthen your feet, don’t use insoles! They’ll only make your feet weaker.

genuinely interested to see your evidence behind this statement.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don’t think there is any Carl.
    But in balance I don’t recollect seeing evidence that ‘support insoles’ do anything either.
    It’s largely where you start your philosophical view of a problem.

“The body is weak and needs support”
    or
    “The body is weak, so needs strengthening”

To a large extent the evidence supporting either is inherently subjective based on whichever philosophy you buy into most.

carlphillips
    Free Member

sometimes not a case of weak/strong though.

to pick one example

If you have a medially deviated subtalar joint axis, then it ‘could’ lead you to ‘over’ pronate (some pronation being entirely normal) and in some cases overpronation can elongate the points between the insertion/origin of the pf and therefore strain the plantar fascia leading to small microtrauma (generally around the heel) and hence the inflammatory condition pf arises, AFAIK no amount of ‘foot strengthening excercises’ on the foot’s internal musculature is going to sort that out, and correction of the subtalar joint axis path with an orthotic to bring the foot into a more rectus position can bring relief from this problem (and other associated alignment issues).
    orthotic therapy has its place, for jcl’s info the days of whacking a massive lump under the arch are over, most orthotics now correct alignment issues by altering the path of the stj axis from wedging under the heel.

grum
    Free Member

Using 29ers and hardly ever using 26ers is causing a legacy of problems which is then being compounded by the bike industry selling people 29ers they don’t need. Strengthen your skills, don’t use 29ers! They’ll only make your technique weaker.

FTFY. 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

sometimes not a case of weak/strong though.

I agree absolutely! Which is why I said it’s a philosophical thing.

To think everything can be fixed with support is daft.
    To think everything can be fixed by strengthening is daft.
    To not realise that people tend approach problem solving using a personal underlying philosophy is daft.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Can you get plantar fasciitis from riding bike’ is closed to new replies.