Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can you get a decent 500 quid non-BSO bike these days?
  • Premier Icon bob_summers

My nephew wants to start riding MTB, budget of 500, I wouldn’t really consider anything other than 2nd hand personally for that but I’m too much of a snob. 29″ general trail bike.
    Before I discount anything new at that price, what are the bottom end Vituses like with ST fork and Altus?

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Also look at Decathlon and Go Outdoors…. However stick is likely to be low/gone.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Maybe Carrera at Halfords, not sure if Voodoo go that low.

But reports seem to suggest every bike below £1000 has been sold in lockdown. Give it a few months for them to hit eBay?

Premier Icon bob_summers

Decathlon a good shout but they have a gap in the range, between 200eur bikes and 800, but stock seems ok here.

Premier Icon docrobster
    Free Member

Calibre cutter £379 if he takes a small.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16006234/calibre-cutter-mountain-bike-16006234

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I’d go used at the price point tbh. Have a trawl through Pinkbike and place a wanted ad on here.

Premier Icon jeffl

All of the above mentioned brands are good for a budget bike. As others have said though bikes are selling like wildfire at the moment so stock may be an issue.

Second hand would have got you more bike but again prices seem to be inflated at the moment due to demand outstripping supply.

Like someone said above, likely to be lots of second hand bargains about in a few months time.

Premier Icon kimbers

On one have frames cheap

+ Some spare parts bin specials…

Premier Icon b33k34

Picked up a Bobcat Trail 5 (RS fork, Deore 1×9, Shimano discs) for just over £500 last year (on offer) but you’ll be lucky to find any bargains right now and you start getting. a lot of compromises on components below that level. We were looking at the Vitus until it went out of stock.

Premier Icon richardk
    Free Member

Orbea MX50 if you can find stock?

Premier Icon dovebiker

Almost all sub-£1000 bikes are sold out with distributors in the UK, maybe you’ll find a shop with something in XS or 2XL.

Premier Icon faz882
    Free Member

Vitus Nucleus is really well regarded, as is the Voodoo Bizango, though the latter would be over budget, though depending on location could save 10% with a cycling membership.

But as the others have said – stock is nigh on impossible to find right now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.