Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can you fit a rear rack to a Singular Gryphon?
  • simoncox

Hi I’m thinking of buying a second hand Singular Gryphon but need to know if its possible to fit a rear rack as it will be used amoungst other things for commuting?

Nipper99
    Free Member

there are no specific rack mounts.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought I’d read the newer ones did?

simoncox

This picture looks like somebody has but I’m not sure how?

Gryphon with rear rack

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can fit a rack to anything.

Tubus do a variety of fittings that work with their racks and you can get seat post clamps with rack mountings

cynic-al
    Free Member

How do those work at the drop out TJ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

How do those work at the drop out TJ?

Axle mount or seatstay mount – cos the are designed to fit with tubus racks it gives a strong mounting
    http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=33
    http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=60

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting, cheers. Any experience of them with weight on?

drofluf
    Free Member

P-clips are your friend in this case. Or a seat post mounted rack….

thomthumb
    Free Member

old man mountain racks – available from carradice in the UK – are probably the best bet if you want to load up. they do a rack which attaches to a special QR at the bottom & p-clips at the top. I wouldn’t use p clips for the bottom mount of a loaded rack.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OMM have some good solutions as well for sure

OCB
    Free Member

The thread has moved on anyway now, so this might be kinda irrelevant, but as far as I recall … Gryphons, prior to the current batch don’t have rack mountings (mine is from a/the generation before the current brood, and it doesn’t).

There is (or there was ~12 months ago) a eyelet’d, dark blue coloured Gryphon in SoCal from an earlier batch (so normally without mounts) – but this was work the owner had done by a local framebuilder, then had it resprayed, so you might have seen that one online back along too, muddying the waters?

thekingofsweden

Yes you can that’s my Gryphon with the rack.

Fairly straight forward i used a seat collar adaptor.

And a longer caliper bolt and ally spacer on the left and a clamp on the right hand side by the drop out.

But your doing it on your own call, Sam was happy for me to do it as I’m an engineer but he didn’t think most people would want to do it my way ?

paul4stones

The new ones have rack mounts I’m sure.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like it.

paul4stones

I agree. But then it does say “Disc brake friendly mounts for a rear rack” in the text and I seem to remember this being something new in the current model.

Sam

Yes – the new ones do have rack mounts.

Old ones can fit a rack as well, I recommend the axle mounting ones from OMM or Tubus with p-clips to steady the load up top. If it’s not a heavy load (<10kg) then p-clips at the bottom will be OK as well.

swavis

Yes the newer ones do as has been said above but I had to get the Dremel out to fit my topeak dx disc rack to it. Not a big problem though.
    Super happy with mine 😀

iPhone 4s Pics 044 by GavinBelton, on Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can you fit a rear rack to a Singular Gryphon?’ is closed to new replies.