Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Can you fit a mountain bike into the boot of a VW Golf?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Almost time to change the car and thinking about a Golf. current model

In an old shape Mondeo at the moment and it fits in the boot, wheels off of course.

Don’t want a new Mondeo so its a Golf or a Passat really.

boxelder

Wheels and saddle off – easy.

didmatt
    Free Member

I can get two Meduim Specialized full sus bikes in the back of my Pug 306 (3door). Just a case of taking the front wheel of them both and folding the seats down.

mrmo
    Free Member

The golf i got for a work trip had a tiny boot, drop the rear seats and the bike went in, but with the seats up, no chance.

will
    Free Member

I can get 3 full sus bikes in a corsa + 2 people. So easy in a golf!

boxelder

Yeah, sorry, was assuming at least one seat dropped.

crazy-legs

I’ve had 2 bikes and 2 lots of weekend riding/camping kit in the back of a Micra, I therefore assume that it’ll fit in a Golf with room to spare.
    Of course these days I can’t be arsed with all that malarky of taking muddy bikes to bits in a cold car park, estate cars all the way. 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Two bikes will go into the back of a Seat Leon (same size of car). Fold the seats forward but leave the seat backs in position, remove wheels and slot it all in, seats down and bikes top to tail. The wheels wedge everything in place so nothing rattles. Cover the seat backs with an old sheet and hoover the accumulated dried mud out occasionally – perfect!

Leave the boot free for other kit.

TheGingerOne

I have a Mk4 Golf and have to put some / all of the seats down to get any of my bikes in. You can get by without taking out the rear wheel, but is easier to remove both. The MK5 cannot be much bigger, so would also need to be dropped at least the 1/3 of the split folding.
    I doubt the boot is wide enough to fit a mtb width ways and not long (or is it deep) enough the other way round

I’ve not thought about doing it as in the previous post – might try that next time.

Stu_N

Assuming you mean with seats up so the bike is completely concealed?

I’ve got a Passat estate and can just squeeze my Soul into the back with wheels off and seatpost out. On my Rush I have to either whip the mech off or loosen the stem so the bars can rotate a bit to get it in. I’ve tried it every which way and that’s how it has to be.

Passat estate was much bigger than Golf estate so I reckon no chance of getting a bike in a Golf boot without serious dismantling.

Obviously seats down is a different story – 4 bikes, 2 1/2 weeks kit and a several of cases of wine in there, easy!

Pickers

Had a Seat Altea (bit like a tallish Leon). Fold one side rear seat, could get 3 bikes in upright, wheels off with 3 people in. Wheels fit in boot behind other seat.
    Do they still do Golf Plus? Probably do the same in that.

colande
    Free Member

i could fit my bike into the boot of my fiat punto mk1,
    without folding the seats down! 🙂

I got 3 full suss bikes, 1 spare wheel, 3 suitcases / big bags, 1 tent, toolbox, enough gear for 3 people for 2 weeks, spare tyres, food, 1 passenger and 6 cases of wine in the back of my golf with the seats down.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends how long your frame is or how wide your bars are.

I could fit 2 dmr trailstars (excluding 2 wheels) in the boot of my Almera saloon. This was because they had 24inch wide bars, were quite short and didnt have a rear mech.

Tried to get my Dialled Alpine in and it wont go so I have to fold a seat down to allow the bars to fit.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

“I got 3 full suss bikes, 1 spare wheel, 3 suitcases / big bags, 1 tent, toolbox, enough gear for 3 people for 2 weeks, spare tyres, food, 1 passenger and 6 cases of wine in the back of my golf with the seats down. “

[*]

What did the third person do for transport?

What did the third person do for transport?

Plane to Geneva for 2nd week when first person flew back.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

I’ve got an old mark 3 Golf, and I can get the family (wife & two kids) plus my bike (Cotic Soul) plus luggage in. The bars have to be turned, wheels off and seat post removed to do this and it is a bit of a faff, but for the occasional holiday its fine. Otherwise with two-thirds of the back seat folded I can get two bikes (with wheels off) and three passengers in no problems.

hicksville
    Free Member

yes with the seats down, all the golfs het larger with age so mk 6 is the biggest yet.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i can get my 20″ bike with wheels off into a clios boot..infact it sits on the back seats with the wheels off and it saves me taking the seats down at all…so u should easily fit one into a golf.

jonb
    Free Member

With the seats up probably not, but with the seats down you’ll have no trouble. Probably try combinations to get more bikes and people in. I know I’ve done trips with three people and three bikes comfortably.

I know the seats don’t fold flat which is a bit annoying.

kaskazi
    Free Member

No probs – if I can get an FSR XC in the boot of my Smart Fortwo with the wheels off (my epic is 2 inches too long, or that would be in too, no kidding!), no-one has any excuse with a golf!
    My mate’s got a VW Golf and I’d go with one of those if I were choosing.

sq225917
    Free Member

I can get two bikes into the back of a Daewoo matiz.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Bought a new MK V Golf 4 months ago. With the back seats folded I can get my Blur in without having to take the rear wheel off. Once its in tons of room for the other wheel, kit etc. As someone else said, if you are going for the just launched MK VI the boot will be even bigger

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Can you fit a mountain bike into the boot of a VW Golf?’ is closed to new replies.