Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can you find out if a car has been scrapped?
  • Bullet

I know you can check if taxed/MOT’d via the DVLA website but can you find out if completely scrapped? Not written off in any way but made into baked bean tins.

b230ftw
    Free Member

If it’s been scrapped in recent years a Certificate of Destruction will have been issued by the authorised facility it has been taken to. However I don’t think there is a way of checking if one has been issued and if it was scrapped a while back then there probably won’t be any record of it. There would be no point in searching for the number plate on a COD as you can transfer it over before it’s scrapped and the COD uses the VIN number IIRC anyway.
    Do you have a registration number?
    If you do check the MOT and tax and if there is NO record it’s probably scrapped a long time ago, same can be assumed if it’s been many years since it was done.

Bullet

I have the reg – T644 HPP – it doesn’t show as SORN and nothing re: tax/MOT so it’s almost certainly gone. Just interested as have an emotional attachment to my old car and always dreamed of getting it back and restoring it when the lottery numbers come up!

duncancallum

When was it last on the road and is there any mot history

I’d guess its pie trays by now

aide

Tried the reg no on ‘vehicle smart’ app and it reckons the dvla has no record of that reg no, hate to say it but think it must be bean tins now.

reluctantjumper

Don’t give up just yet, although it depends on what car it is and how close to dying it was previously. One of my old cars, a Mini I had as my first car, disappeared off the DVLA registers for a few years saying the reg number didn’t exist but it popped back up after nearly a decade. Turned out it had been on a private plate so the details went to that number instead. Another one of my old cars showed as no tax or MOT for over 6 years before I saw it driving around, all restored and definitely alive. That was only a crappy Nova so hardly worth anything at the time but it turned out the old guy who owned it before me had an emotional attachment to it. He saw it for sale as a spares car a year after I traded it in and bought it then made it good again. I actually followed him into a car park to check it was the same car, definitely was as it had the exact welding pattern from where I had replaced the boot floor and even the drilled holes from where I’d mounted a false floor for my sub and amps (it was the era of Max Power, don’t judge!).

It’s surprising what cars get squirreled away to reappear years down the line, just look at what cars the Urbex lot find regularly. What car was it?

Bullet

It was an Impreza RB5. Had it from new in 1999 and did 235,000 miles in it. Sold it to my God son about 7 years ago. He then got married etc so needed cash and I believe it went to Swindon. Lost track after that.

reluctantjumper

Could be on a personal plate then, that would come back as no records found for the original plate. That’s what happened to my old Mini only to return out of the blue. Early Imprezas are getting collectible so someone could easily have bought it to modify it, especially as a high miler, hence the change of reg. Have you tried asking on Scooby.net or other car forums? There’s a guy over on Pistonheads who wanted to find his dad’s old Porsche 944 and is now in talks to buy it back so there is hope! Pistonheads Link.

Bullet

Could give the forums a try. The RB5 forum is members only and is £25 to join and since I’m not actually in a position to buy back in realty that seems a waste. It’s fun planning in my head what would be the ultimate Impreza restomod though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can you find out if a car has been scrapped?’ is closed to new replies.