Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Can you cook?
  • crazy-legs

If you can cook a good spag bol you’re halfway there. Make sure it simmers for a couple of hours though, anyone that cooks a bolognese sauce in 30mins can’t be trusted.

During lockdown, this Aussie comedian turned his hand to cookery. Caution – it’s very sweary but it is funny. Have a watch of some of the other stuff he cooks as well. All pretty simple stuff and very no nonsense!

leffeboy

Does it get easier?

Absolutely.  It also helps to make the same thing again and again (every Fri is pizza for us) as you start to understand what is important, what isn’t and also how to adjust and fix things as you go.  It’s fun and eating nice food is such a pleasure.  I sort of understand the attraction of Huel but that’s not really a life that I want

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve been fairly competent since I was a schoolkid and my mum made sure I knew the basics. At university other student houses were living on beans on toast while I was doing roasts, risottos, soups for mine. I’d get mocked for making quiches until they were tasted. Once you understand how different things are cooked and have a repertoire of a few basics (a stew or casserole, a stir-fry etc) then it’s pretty intuitive to mke it up as you go. I’m definitely not cheffy, more homely, and very rarely use chefs’ cookbooks (generally worthless), but will refer to classics like Gastronomy of Italy or The Cookery Year if I want learn a technique or how long something takes etc.

bentandbroken

As an alternative to the simple slow cooker recipe, search for “tray bake”.

Usually some veg chopping/slicing, then mix with oil/herbs, cook for a bit and stick the protein on the top. Sometimes marinade in advance (easy) or baste (spread over the top during cooking so also easy) towards the end of cooking.

This was the latest one I did

Chicken tray bake

IdleJon

@bentandbroken How was it? 45 minutes is quite a long time to bake rosemary for, and would normally release a bitter taste. I accidentally did this with some roast potatoes a short while ago and the bitterness made the potatoes inedible. I’m guessing that the honey may disguise it.

fasthaggis

I can cook very well,do ironing and keep a clean house.
    I also like pets,hang gliding and cosy nights in.
    PO box 6592-338 for more photos details

convert

I find it completely flummoxing that anyone can’t cook at least well enough to be able to pull together a few raw ingredients and generate calories palatable enough to stay down and feed others without too many complaints. It’s a basic skill fundamental to being a functioning human. I can’t tell you when I learnt to cook – I don’t think I ever did – it was just a drip feed of watching other people doing when I was young, then doing a bit, then doing it all. You get to the point where you just know – quantities, cooking methods and times, what works with what. I’ll look in a cook book every few months maybe to look for inspiration or if doing something where exact ratios might be needed for it to set or whatever; but other than that it’s just a freestyle – what’s in or needs using up, what’s cheap or in season, what we fancy.

I wouldn’t call myself a cook, as in I don’t get off on all that bollox on masterchef – I’m no food snob. But feeding myself and others a balanced and attractive diet is just a fundamental – like breathing or keeping yourself clean.

Those people who are actively having to ‘learn’ in adulthood…..anyone brave enough to try and explain how that came about? Were you from a traditional house growing up, where your mum dealt with all the domestic stuff and you were neither expected or encouraged to get involved? Were you a little bit spoilt maybe? Is this mainly a ‘men of a certain age’ problem? Or was your youth a bit dysfunctional and there were no role models doing actual cooking at home (I taught a young lad once who at the age of 11 had never eaten a meal from a plate or at a table in a home that had no cutlery). How did you get through your young adult years?

crazy-legs

Those people who are actively having to ‘learn’ in adulthood…..anyone brave enough to try and explain how that came about?

I’m no Gordon Ramsey but I was astonished at the unbelievably low level of cooking ability of some people when I went to uni.

One of my housemates had literally never cooked anything for himself at all ever. Not even a boiled egg. He wasn’t thick at all, he just came from a house where his Mum did all of that. Put a plate of food on the table, he ate it, the plate miraculously disappeared off to be cleaned and put away ready for it to next appear laden with food.

He lived on cheese sandwiches and some truly vile “Pasta ‘n’ Sauce” stuff out of a packet – pour some grit out of a packet into a pan, add water, heat for 3 minutes.

He never did any washing up either the lazy bastard. Once we gathered up all his piles of used plates and crockery and cutlery and dumped it all on his bed.

tjagain

I don’t get it either

Mum is a staunch feminist and just taught me for as far back I can remember.  To me its a basic life skill

tjagain

*sends fasthaggis a message*

scud
    Free Member

Yep but then my first job was, and i paid my way through uni as a chef..although nowhere fancy

I think the aim is to start with recipes and then overtime you learn to adapt them more to your taste, or what you have in cupboards.

You can then build up a bank of recipes and meals for certain occasions, every day family favourites, special meals for anniversaries, meals for when friends are over etc..

One thing that has really enhanced cooking for me, despite it being something i’ve alway enjoyed (when its not a job) is growing fruit and veg, huge satisfaction when you look down and you’ve grown half the veg on your plate.

finephilly
    Free Member

Yea, I went to public school (everything done for you) from 11-18 and my mum is an amazing cook, so I still struggle in my mid-40’s to make anything that I could offer to others. I can keep myself healthy enough but probably only able to cook 4 or 5 different meals.

I could have learnt, just never needed to. Also, I find recipes confusing and intimidating so just make stuff up or watch other people and copy them. Plus I live on my own so it’s not like I need to impress anyone. But I would like to be better at it!

bentandbroken

@IdleJon it was starting to catch in a few places, but to be honest our ‘new’ oven cooks everything a bit fast, so I tend to check things at about 90% of the cooking time and frequently take things out early.

TBH I was going to post a tray bake recipe based on Cod/bake fillets, but that’s a bit more ‘cook until it’s ready’ which takes some of the simplicity away from the tray bake concept.

leffeboy

Those people who are actively having to ‘learn’ in adulthood…..anyone brave enough to try and explain how that came about?

When I was at school the boys did woodwork and the girls did ‘home economics’ which did actually involve real cooking from real ingredients.  I’ve read a few time now that home economics these days involves a lot of how to deal with ready prepared foods rather than cooking from scratch from things you grew in your own garden.  I’m always wondering if that is deliberate in someone somewhere trying to create a society of ‘worker bees’ who also consume from other workers and this is their idea of a society.  However hanlon’s razor pretty much always applies and I think they teach that because it is needed rather than anything Machiavellian

edit: got to say that I do love the ‘Nat’s what I reckon’ cooking videos.  I’m not sure it is a good way to learn any technique but the attitude and spirit is spot on

olddog

Yes I can cook. Me and Mrs OD share the cooking. Do a lot of one pot veggie food. But can also bake cakes and pies etc but rarely do.

convert

p.s. – rereading the above, it comes across a bit arsey. Well done anyone who is getting around to learning to cook in adulthood – you won’t regret it. And once you know, you just know…..like riding a bike.

the-muffin-man

When I was at school the boys did woodwork and the girls did ‘home economics’ which did actually involve real cooking from real ingredients.

How far are you going back? In the early 80s both boys and girls did everything – woodwork, metalwork, cooking and needlework. I could take my own jeans in at 13! 🙂

leffeboy

How far are you going back? In the 80s both boys and girls did everything

Oh at least a decade before that, and I’m the one that does the sewing in my house but that’s because I get to use machines.  Our 60s sewing machine is a mechanical marvel but there is a whole other thread there

I should also add that I’m super glad we learned woodwork and metalwork at school.  I’m not sure where else i would have learned it and I’ve found it so useful ever since.

CountZero

I can, but fairly straightforward basic stuff, as I’m just not interested in the process of cooking. And as there’s just me, spending several hours preparing for half an hour eating, it’s just not worth it.

binners

One of my housemates had literally never cooked anything for himself at all ever. Not even a boiled egg.

Yip. I lived with a lad in the first year at uni who was exactly the same. He would look at the cooker as if it was a thermonuclear device that could be detonated at any moment. Mind you, he was the same with a washing machine. It was all a strange new world to him

I remember the first time he went shopping and he came back with the contents of a trolley dash that you couldn’t actually put a meal together with. Just mountains of completely random stuff as he’d never actually cooked a meal in his entire life

His mum had basically infantilised him through doing absolutely everything for him until the moment he left home.

pondo

I don’t often “cook” (as opposed to throwing some stuff together to pour down my gullet) but I quite enjoy it whdn the mood takes me. I tend to have a go for anniversaries or Mrs Pondo’s birthday or just when she’s down or whatever – found a simple teriyaki salmon recipe which is lush, can do ok mussels, can do a passable Wagamamas chilli squid. We like seafood. 🙂

lovewookie

I can sew, do DIY stuff and cook, sortof.

cooking is a weird one. always enjoyed home-ec at school and was good at it. I can follow a recipe well and am unsure how others can’t. However, I lack artistry and, like a textbook autistic, can make the same thing perfectly time and time again, but can’t vary it, and coudn’t describe what fiddling about with ingredients will do to the taste of things.

Thankfully my wife has ADHD and is a culinary wizard, by comparison. I just switch things down that are about to burn/boil over and tidy around her so she has enough pans to use (and she uses them, all), and keep tabs on what she is doing if she gets distracted by squirrels.

we’re a disfunctional, but effective team.

binners

I’ve just knocked off for the day so I’m off to kitchen to put the radio on, crack a beer open and cook a fish pie 😀

DrT
    Free Member

I really enjoy cooking, I find the whole process quite therapeutic. House is full of recipe/cookery books and can I can sometimes be found reading recipe books as bedtime reading looking for inspiration. I cook a huge variety of things and also enjoy experimenting (it doesn’t always go well). Mushroom kofta curry tonight, it was lush 🙂

fasthaggis

I can sew, do DIY stuff and cook, sortof.

forwards lovewookie’s contact details to TJ 😉🙃🤣

matt_outandabout

Yes, you can find me on OnlyFlans…

Well played.

Yes I can. I can’t say I’m a great cook, but I do enjoy some time spent rustling up meal.

We’ve also insisted that our kids leave home able to cook 5 proper meals without need for a recipe book or much processed. This seems to be highly unusual, and both the lads who are at college / Uni report that they are very popular and have both given cookery lessons to house mates.

MrOvershoot

I guess I was lucky my mum amongst other things was a HE teacher, so by the time I was 12 I could cook a full 3 course meal and have kept evolving at it ever since (she used to say it was lovely watching her son cook). My late wife was a very good cook but once her MS took over she said I was a much more inventive cook than she ever was 🙂

Now I’m in a new relationship my girlfriend has managed to bring up 2 daughters without them going hungry but was never really allowed into the the kitchen by her own mother & the fact she struggled with the settings on her oven the other night sort of shocked me!

I love cooking for others though so that works fine in our relationship, & she’s a really appreciative audience 😀

fazzini

Yes I can cook. I love cooking. Probably explains the waistline, or the cooking being an excuse to sup wine is 😂. I learned from my mum, spent time as a pub manager, catering manager, chef (by way of having to), hotel manager. All food related. It can be hugely frustrating and hugely rewarding in equal measure. YMMV

richmars

I pleased to say that, no, I can’t cook. I think the time spent preparing and cooking food is a massive waste of time.

Weren’t we promised (like flying cars) a single pill per day to get rid of having to cook and eat?

I’m happy with beans on toast, or just toast.

Sorry.

leffeboy

Weren’t we promised (like flying cars) a single pill per day to get rid of having to cook and eat?

I think that Huel is what sir is looking for.  It’s not for me but i believe from here that it is ok

Beans on toast rocks though along with lots of other simple things like scrambled eggs

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Fortunately the wife and I are both pretty handy in the kitchen. I’m a bit handier if I do say so myself.

She’s better at the staples where I’m a bit more adventurous. I seem to do well with Asian dishes and cook for the flavour (read loads of butter), whereas she cooks healthier.

She works with people who don’t have many life skills and I didn’t realise how fortunate I was for paying attention in home economics class and having my mum get us involved in the kitchen when we were kids.

It does take practice though, when I left home I was quite proud to cook a meal of fray bentos, can of tatties and a can of peas!

Watching masterchef over the years has helped with technique and flavours. YouTube is also an excellent resource!
    I don’t recommend celebrity masterchef though… Some boy was boiling coleslaw last time I watched it! 😂

vlad_the_invader

I can, but fairly straightforward basic stuff, as I’m just not interested in the process of cooking. And as there’s just me, spending several hours preparing for half an hour eating, it’s just not worth it.

You just described me, though there isn’t “just me” so the missus does most of the the cooking (she likes it and is more fussy).
    Frankly, I’ll eat anything as long as it fills my stomach and provides the needed nutrition. Meals rarely take longer than 10 minutes for me to devour so it never seems like a worthwhile use of time faffing around in the kitchen. I guess that makes me some sort of heathen.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes I enjoy cooking BUT I also massively overcook volumes so I get a stack of leftovers in the freezer to use up later. Soup, chilli, curry, stews in particular. Mostly make it up as I go along depending what ingredients I have, once you know the basics it’s easy enough and I’m not a fussy eater. I also do a bunch of easy quick things like kippers or a stir-fry when I want a light meal.

Just had a baked potato with chilli brisket that was in the freezer (an idea someone posted here a while back – a big improvement over mince). 10 mins to prepare, tasty and healthy.

Love a roast too – easy once you’ve got the hang of it and you usually get a load of leftovers and soup out of it too.

binners

I guess that makes me some sort of heathen.

I’ve got a mate who’s attitude to food is that it’s the fuel his body needs to keep him alive. He takes no pleasure in eating, never mind cooking. His diet is absolutely terrible

I always just put this down to him being from Glasgow 😂

slowoldman

@Elshalimo. My hero there.

And as there’s just me, spending several hours preparing for half an hour eating, it’s just not worth it.

Are you preparing a banquet. I had a stir fry for tea tonight, about 1.5 hours to prep cook eat and wash up.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yeah i can cook fairly well.
    I got quite into it during lockdown and really enjoy it now.
    I do 90% of the cooking in our house – my wife doesn’t enjoy ‘cooking’ but she is a pretty damn good baker.. so we’ve got most bases covered.

@matt_cooks_and_rides on the ‘gram.

jeffl

Yeah I’m pretty good if I do say so myself. Can knock up most things. Practice makes perfect and things that you think are difficult or take loads of time, soon become second nature. But like manuals or bunny hops on a bike

Don’t like cooking from a recipe the first time as it seems really stilted but after the first time I know what I’m doing and tweak it thereafter.

Timings are a good point. Used to hate doing roasts because of it but pretty easy. Meat then roast potatoes take the longest, then your boiled veg only take about 15 minutes at the end. Easy peasy.

I’m also in the Keith Floyd school of cooking and find a beer or wine helps if you’re stressed out about a particular recipe.

Only time I got properly cheesed off was making a chocolate mouse which just didn’t work when we had guests over for a big dinner, even though it worked fine when I trialed it.

myti
    Free Member

Anyone, no matter how bad a cook can make soup

Lol my mum makes terrible soup! It’s such a shame as she grows lot’s of lovely veg on her allotment then just piles in a random bunch of veg, doesn’t pay any attention to seasoning, stock or herbs and waits for it to cook down into a mush. I avoid it when offered now after being presented with a bowl of what is more like baby food than soup. She’s mostly not a good cook and I used to get things like boil in a bag beef with gravy as a child so I started learning to cook in my early teens. Ready Steady Cook with Ainsley Harriet got me started and then on to Jamie Oliver. A good friend who I lived with in my 20’s went to catering college and taught me some things especially how to do a good roast and gravy and then it’s gradually become a passion over the last 20 years. Now I find I don’t get too many dinner invites as people are intimidated 🤣

So yes it takes time like decades I’d say to become a really good cook but also requires that you have a deep passion for it because it is time consuming if you want to get more elaborate and have a large repartee.

jonnyboi

Started cooking by necessity when I got my own place, circa 28 years ago. Found I enjoyed and went from there. I do 95-100% of the cooking in our house, mostly from scratch and reckon I cook to a very high standard. Obviously not chef level as I can’t cook at the pace/volume they do but I can pull together some seriously cheffy dishes using all the techniques.

Bunnyhop

OP – A good cook book is the Mary Berry ‘Cook the perfect Step by step’. She shows with photos how to prepare and cook a dish, along with the ingredients, how long it takes to cook etc. Plenty of tips alongside the recipes.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.