Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Can you compost dog crap?
  • wors

well?

wwaswas

It’s biodegradable so you can but I wouldn’t use the results in the veg patch.

Maybe one of those digester things that you bury in the ground?

qwerty
    Free Member

NooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssS

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Does composting destroy Toxocara ?

I reckon that composting dog shit at home in a domestic environment wouldn’t be very healthy.

organic355
    Free Member

what about dead squirrel?

My cat caught one the other day and was tossing it round the garden. Didnt fancy her eating it so I stuck it in the compost bin.

wwaswas

These are ok, for most meats etc.

‘normal’ composters aren’t supposed to have cooked foods, meat and poo put in them iirc.

http://www.edenproject.com/shop/Composter-digester.aspx

xcgb
    Free Member

I wee on my compost really helps break it down. My wise old neighbour used to pee in a bucket to save it for the garden,he used to bring round veg in the same bucket though!

poo is a step too far though cant see it making good compost

molgrips
    Free Member

You can’t see poo making good compost? Better tell all those farmers putting manure on their fields then.

I imagine it’d stink a fair bit, but I reckon it’d break down to its component minerals and nutrients pretty quickly. Where do you think it goes when it’s been left on the grass?

warton
    Free Member

It’s a big no for a normal compost heap. dogs eat meat, sometimes raw, cows and horses don’t, their poo carries all sorts of nasty stuff.

but, you can get special worm composters that do the trick, but you can’t mix the poo and other stuff, as the worms that like poo won’t like veg peelings etc.

why would you want to though, it’l stink to high heaven…

Del

i read somewhere you’re not supposed to put the poo of meat eaters in compost.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Where do you think it goes when it’s been left on the grass?

You mean someone takes it home to compost ?

woody2000

Would you compost your own poop? Dog poo won’t be much different to ours, it’d be a no for me. Poop from grazers is basically only fermented grass, with none of the nasties that carnivores have in their guts

xcgb
    Free Member

POOP TO AVOID COMPOSTING:

Because domestic house pets (like dogs and cats) are carnivorous by nature, their poop should NOT be added to a compost pile. Human poop also (even if someone is a vegetarian!) should never be added to a compost bin or pile. Both dogs and cats have organisms in their stomachs and can also have diseases in their poop that are harmful to the composting process and plant life, and ultimately humans. These diseases can get into the plants you eat, and should not be digested. Human poop can carry pathogens, diseases and organisms that can be extremely harmful.

wwaswas

Digesters are ok with poo;

What can go in

Fish
    Red meat & poultry
    All bones
    Bread
    Fruit including peelings
    Vegetables including peelings
    Dairy produce
    Cooked food scraps
    Crushed egg shells
    Tea bags
    Animal excrement

grahamg
    Free Member

You gots to just leave it to the flies. It’s the only natural way.

Northwind

Dog poo carries nasties and also attracts vermin, I wouldn’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

Would you compost your own poop?

I would if I had a composting toilet.

warton
    Free Member

Northwind, i read that as “Dog poo carries nasties, and also attracts women” 🙂

mrhoppy

Yes you can, whether you should will depend on what you do with your compost and what you are composting in. You can get green cones that work as small scale anaerobic digesters but I’ve yet to find one that works consistently well that wasn’t operated by the manufacturer.

Macavity
    Free Member

Recycle Reuse Reduce

http://www.dogpoopdiet.com/why-dogs-eat-poop/

or you could sell it to other dog owners.

cloudnine
    Free Member

footflaps

As we only get fortnightly bin collections, I put the cat poo in which ever bin is going next, so one week its with rubbish, the next it’s in with the compost.

xcgb
    Free Member

Cloudnine Proper LOL!

dazzlingboy

😆 @ cloudnine!

konagirl
    Free Member

Footflaps, I would point out that your doorstep green bin collection takes all food waste including raw meat. So I don’t believe it will be composted unless they treat it for all the nasties that will harbour. But they also say they don’t take cat or dog waste so you should be putting it with the rubbish, sorry! As I understand it, the soil improver they sell is made from the recycling centre green waste, which doesn’t include any food waste. Though of course I could be wrong.

footflaps

so you should be putting it with the rubbish

I know, I just don’t really care.

konagirl
    Free Member

lol. Fair enough.

alanf
    Free Member

What happens if my stupid cat does a POOP in my veg patch and buries it?
    Will I die if i eat the resultant veggies?

konagirl
    Free Member

Has nobody mentioned cat AIDS yet? 😉

(Serious answer, as long as you peel and cook your veg then it shouldn’t be a problem, but raw veg that comes into contact with cat poo has the potential to make you poorly, particularly if you are vulnerable to infection or pregnant (!)… I can’t imagine the occurance is very high but I guess you could call it a risk.)

yunki
    Free Member

the obvious solution..

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Can you compost dog crap?’ is closed to new replies.