• This topic has 51 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by timc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Can you claim from the council
  • project
    Free Member

If you fall on ice or snow they havent cleared,or done badly,surely under Health and Safety regulations you have the right to a safe workplace,eg drivers and postmen etc, who use the roads and streets for work activities.

iDave
    Free Member

you can if you're a bit tragic

grumm
    Free Member

shut up

sc-xc

lost for words.

project
    Free Member

Teachers are quoteing H and S so why cant the public who pay their wages.

nicedays
    Free Member

The advice was not go out? Unless you have to, and to take care in the adverse weather conditions.

project
    Free Member

But posties,paramedics,district nurses and me have to go out as do delivery drivers,doctors,and lots more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

LEA 's are quoting H & S because people sue them when their kids fall over on snow and on wet floors …..go figure 🙄

You would need to prove negligence and they would probably argue you could have assessed the risk better and worn appropriate PPE such as crampons or just crawled over the danger.

iDave
    Free Member

Teaschers are quoteing H and S so why cant the public who pay their wages.

they can if they can spell 'teachers', 'quoting' and 'can't'

this is a very poor quality troll – who do I sue?

ski
    Free Member

Chatting to a friend who works in A&E & the number of fracture due to the snow and ice she has had to deal with over the last week.

If you could, I think it would bancrupt our council!

MrNutt
    Free Member

TinMan
    Free Member

The fault, if there is any, would be with your employer if they made you go out in hazardous conditions? Did you have the correct training and equipment provided?

IGMC

thomthumb
    Free Member

what do you do?

plumber
    Free Member

snow – act of god – no claim

If cleared then potential claim senario depending on circumstances

sc-xc

traffic warden

saladdodger
    Free Member

mtfu

metalheart
    Free Member

On as long as you lodged your risk assessment and method statement prior to setting out. Otherwise the HSE can sue you for failing to perform your legal duty to ensure that you don't endanger yourself or others. H&S is everybodies responsibility…
    :mrgreen:

tthew

+1 tinman.

Your employer has to provide a safe system of work, a statutory requirement. Every work task has to have a suitable and sufficient risk assessment, and associated method statement drawn up by a person compenent to provide these. This would take into account the working environment, (i.e. ice on pavements) and detail measures to control the risk from avoidance of the work, (best) to minimum standards of PPE (minimum).

So when people claim that they are skiving not going to work due to health and safety fears, it is bount to be because their employer has evaluated the risks and deemed that stopping at home is the best cause of action. So you can now go sleding instead.

iDave
    Free Member

Your employer has to provide a safe system of work, a statutory requirement. Every work task has to have a suitable and sufficient risk assessment, and associated method statement drawn up by a person compenent to provide these. This would take into account the working environment, (i.e. ice on pavements) and detail measures to control the risk from avoidance of the work, (best) to minimum standards of PPE (minimum).

fab

grumm
    Free Member

Is your real name allah or mahamed of similar?

Nice bit of racism there.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Someones going to be in trouble ❗

thomthumb
    Free Member

Is your real name allah or mahamed of similar?

eh?

Gary_C

No wonder the council tax increases every year.. 🙄

project
    Free Member

Surely the council have a duty of care,to the public.

starseven
    Free Member

Bigotry actually. They not a race just an ideology like the Nazi's.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"If cleared then potential claim senario depending on circumstances "

Total b00l0x. See the other thread.

If atheists (I'm aware many of you are) avoid liability by claiming an act of God, aren't they being hypocrites? 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

They not a race just an ideology like the Nazi's.

takes one to know one!

iDave
    Free Member

surely the public who fall over, whoever they are, have a duty of care to themselves and should stop being a load of helpless ****. maybe the council should send workers out to walk in front waving flags and pointing out hazards?

grumm
    Free Member

Bigotry actually. They not a race just an ideology like the Nazi's.

Oh well that's ok then. Who are 'they' btw?

starseven
    Free Member

Whats that supposed to mean you half wit?

Junkyard
    Free Member

starseven a stupid and offensive slur suggesting only Muslims make claims and dont work shame on you

sc-xc

starseven is a stupid and offensive slur suggesting only Muslims make claims and dont work shame on you twatt

HTH

Suggsey
    Free Member

I cant beieve that starseven is even trying to justify his ignorance, even if you dont like a particular race/religion/sex/etc etc there may be better times and places to make your point, not in the middle of a unrelated thread.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as a bigot is defined as

A person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.
    The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing devotion.

A pointless appeal to rationality

sc-xc

I work for a very large Met. And you are talking shit.

PaulMc
    Free Member

Apart from TinMan and tthew everything else said above is complete tosh. Yes you can try to claim from the local council, but not under H&S law as highways are expressly excluded from the definition of a 'workplace'.

The Government changed the law in 2003 to place a legal duty on highway authorities to try to keep highways clear of snow and ice and they have to take reasonable steps to do so.

As a defendant lawyer I would argue on behalf of the authority that in these exceptional conditions they are doing all they reasonably can in prioritising the main roads. Your lawyer would argue that by now they should have worked their way down the list to the more minor roads and pavements. The fact that the Government has now instructed highway authorities to cut gritting by 25% adds an interesting complication.

The warning to people not to travel carries no legal weight but again I would argue that you should have stayed indoors/worn better footwear/taken more care.

Any claims in current circumstances are likely to be difficult but no doubt there will be some as there have already been some very serious injuries.

In an employment situation your employer has a duty to risk assess and to take appropriate steps to reduce the risk, including to provide suitable PPE.

markd
    Free Member

Starseven – Utter nonsense. It scares me that people like you come out with this crap.

ski
    Free Member

pulls up a chair………..

Beer anyone?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you utter imbecile are you suggesting all the money goes on Muslims- get some evidence you utter fool
    Second only to Pakistan we have more here than Iran ,Iraq,Indonesia, Afghanistan -quick tell the US of A they will invade us soon to stop the spread of terrorism. More than actual Muslim countires are you sure about that , Egypt,Jordan, Nigeria, Turkey
    I apologoise with my description of a bigot above I totally misunderestimated your stupidity.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Muslims have no interest in our community and as such no hesitation in making claims from our councils, they have a single minded following of a medieval superstition which supersedes any political or communal boundaries.

do you truly believe all muslims are this radical?

the majority of muslims believe in allah a bit and maybe go to mosque at the weekend, some are more dedicated and pray to mecca a few times a day, a tiny minority are full of hatred for those different to themselves.

just like some other religions. and some athiests – as demonstrated by yourself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Can you claim from the council’ is closed to new replies.