• This topic has 79 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Can you actually buy an Atherton bike?
  • dudeofdoom

Nice idea but from the images I’ve seen they look pretty minging. I’m sure there is a market for bikes that cost a fortune but look like several pieces of scaffolding stuck together but personally I’d rather have something that looks like it was designed this century.

Harsh but Mike Burrows was using sand cast aluminum component lugs and aluminium pipe in the 80’s an latterly carbon pipe on his windcheetah Which I think was actually superb engineering way ahead of its time.

Trimix
    Free Member

I would be interested in the Trail bike they are doing. Unless I buy a flat in Morzine I can’t justify a proper DH bike.

LAT

I’d buy one if I had any money or a need for a new bike. And I like the way they look. How much is a Santa Cruz frame in the uk? Last time I bought one it was £999. It was a while back.

im not a vet, but I am a stay at home dad which is a bit like dealing with a sick and injured animal. Though I must admit to being a master of nothing. Do I still get a free bike? Can I choose which one?

tomhoward

How much is a Santa Cruz frame in the uk? Last time I bought one it was £999. It was a while back.

Triple that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Another thing, and I’m not trying to be a doom-monger here, but say you did spend £3k or whatever on one of these frames… will they still be around to honour the warranty in future?

sillyoldman

Only if they continue to trade. Given Robot’s history and Atherton’s bizarre approach to retail now, I have my doubts sadly.

robo89
    Free Member

Has anybody heard about prices yet, given that a 160 robot bikes frame was about £4 grand, what do we think the price of a DH frame is gonna be and what would be too much, any thoughts or guesses.
    I’d love to know how much Piers Linney has spent so far on production, R&D, one racing season, travel, riders salaries plus mechanics, physio’s etc. How much of his 85 million has he allocated to this venture, surely he’s got his fingers in many other pies.

tomhoward

but say you did spend £3k or whatever on one of these frames…

Plenty of people, me included, bought into Deviate who had neither the well known backer behind them, nor the World Cup racer kudos/marketing draw. They were £5.5k+ or £3.3k for a frame and drivetrain, minimum. They are still around, and expanding. I just hope folk haven’t been worried/put off by Shyster Bicycle Company, of Worthing.

Assuming the first 20 or so of the 50 frames will be for team riders/Piers (one of each model per rider?) and mag tests, that’s still a fair chunk of money into the business, so I really wouldn’t be fretting just yet.

andylc
    Free Member

Interesting that Deviate have ditched the Pinion gears on their latest bike.

tomhoward

Not really. Different tools for different jobs. Pinions are great for winch and plummet riding, less so for more undulating trail riding.

mattvanders
    Free Member

My understanding is that they have to be selling within 12 months of first use of racing (thinking about Santa Cruz when they started using 29er wheeled bikes, others just adapted theirs rather than a whole bike).

chakaping
    Free Member

Deviate have identified the things that were blocking them making more sales (gearbox, small wheels, price) and have addressed it, good for them.

What’s likely to block sales for Atherton Bikes? The look and the cost? Will they be so easy to adjust?

Blackflag
    Free Member

I’ve never been an early adopter of anything so the idea of sinking that much money into something that’s not been peer tested and reviewed by many before me makes me feel ill. Plus the custom geometry thing means an even greater chance of ruining the bike.

But I’m clearly not their target market!

Trimix
    Free Member

If you know what geometery suits you and want something to your spec, then the bike is going to do just that. There are riders who fit that demographic.

There are probably a lot of riders who can just ride whatever they get and wont feel/know the difference. A lot of us just ride our bikes and probably wouldnt know what the seat/head angle is, let alone things like trail or fork offset. Most riders will tell you that thier new bike is the best thing they have ridden 🙂

I reckon if they made a bike with the same geometery as other respected manufacturers then they would ride fine and sell just like any other boutique brand with a pro rider backing it.

Speeder

I love the look of them personally but then I’ve got a braised steel full sus with straight tubes for comparison. I’m certainly no lover of unnecessarily swoopy carbon frames and I love the tech that went into the ROBOTs.

I’m surprised they haven’t just function tested the old ROBOTs and rebranded them for the trail/enduro crowd. iirc they were well regarded and as others have said the DW Link platform is well proven and popular. Obviously a new DH bike would need to be a ground up build with all the testing that requires so that would take a while longer but I’m surprised the bikes they effectively already had are taking so long.

On the ROBOT insolvency. I hadn’t heard that rumour and while I’d not be surprised given how labour intensive they obviously are, how many staff needed paying and the retail price I assumed they were a going concern that got absorbed by the Atherton thing. Is that not the case?

If I win the lottery I’ll be up for an ultra tech carbon/printed ti modern geometry IH Sunday update. ;o)

P-Jay
    Free Member

They’re not for me, for a couple of reasons.

I’m not much of an Atherton fan, I don’t mind them, but they’re a bit PR Polished and Professional for me so the brand won’t make me want one anymore more than I wanted a Robot Bike, I didn’t.

The looks don’t work for me.

I think they’re over-priced (if £3k a frame is right) I seem to recall Robot used to say that 3d printed ends and generic carbon tubes would make frame building cheaper in the long run, these seem expensive.

Someone like me shouldn’t be allowed to choose their own geometry.

andylc
    Free Member

I agree to me they look like a cheap design that is pretending to be expensive. Straight carbon tubes and 3D printed lugs don’t seem to be cutting edge as far as I (not even vaguely an expert) can see.
    If I’m gonna spend load I love a good swoopy curvy Carbon frame, me…
    Also she won downhill World Cup races on one…she could probably beat everyone on a Raleigh Grifter on a good day…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you know what geometery suits you and want something to your spec, then the bike is going to do just that. There are riders who fit that demographic.

Let’s be honest, the target demographic isn’t fast privateers looking for the best bike they can lay their mits on to give them the marginal gains that get results on their CV and a lucrative move onto a factory team from where in years to come they can retire and tell MBUK that their favorite bike ever was that Robot. It’s dentists (or Vets, accountants, or whoever else it is these days that we use as stereotype for the middle classes).

Speeder

Someone like me shouldn’t be allowed to choose their own geometry.

I’m sure they’d quite happily recommend some for your height/weight/riding style that you wouldn’t be able to tell was “custom” from the first ride. There’s only so much you can adjust and I doubt they’d let you do anything daft with it as if it turns out to be a dog, it reflects on them.

THIS was a bit of an experiment and I’m sure I read in subsequent writing the Paul Aston thought he’d taken it a bit too far.*

* But I can’t find it.

mehr
    Free Member

FirstFifty

£3.4k frame only and build options at £5.5 and £7kk for the Enduro
    £3.7k frame only and build options of £6 and £8k for the Downhill

plus-one

Prices comparable with most high end manufacturers. Look very normal which I like 🙂

Good luck to them

Trimix
    Free Member

Oooh, looks interesting.

Trimix
    Free Member

Mid-life crisis (no. 3) DH bike…………………..ooooh, so tempting.

benpinnick

I’d love to know how much Piers Linney has spent so far on production, R&D, one racing season, travel, riders salaries plus mechanics, physio’s etc. How much of his 85 million has he allocated to this venture, surely he’s got his fingers in many other pies.

You know what they say; The best way to make a million in the bike industry is to start with 2.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well, if I had that sort of money Id spend it on a racing team and not bother about the cost. You can’t take it with you.

When your in your adult nappy in the old peoples home, all you will have left is memories.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Those prices appear to exclude tax….?

mehr
    Free Member

Those prices appear to exclude tax….?

They do?

Not sure about either of them, I was slightly interested in the DH but the geo is pure race machine

simondbarnes

I was slightly interested in the DH but the geo is pure race machine

Surely racing is the only reason someone would buy a DH bike?

tomhoward

I was slightly interested in the DH but the geo is pure race machine

Could you not tweak it to dial it back a bit?

Northwind

simondbarnes

Subscriber

Surely racing is the only reason someone would buy a DH bike?

Nah, I raced all my previous ones (well, except my ellsworth, it was awful) but the current one’s just an uplift/fun times big bike. Takes some wear and tear off the main bike and let me build it a little less tough.

simondbarnes

Nah, I raced all my previous ones (well, except my ellsworth, it was awful) but the current one’s just an uplift/fun times big bike. Takes some wear and tear off the main bike and let me build it a little less tough.

Fair enough 🙂

dirkpitt74

I like the look of the Enduro – frame only and do a Shimano build.

tetrode
    Free Member

Prices comparable with most high end manufacturers. Look very normal

The fact that that much money for a bike is now considered ‘normal’ just goes to show how ridiculous prices are now.

endomick
    Free Member

It’s all a bit too quiet on the Atherton front, they haven’t posted anything on their youtube channels for ages, the bike media don’t seem to have anything to report and their pr team must be in hibernation. I’ve lost interest.

walleater

They seem to be the opposite of Sick Bicycles. Releasing products but not telling anyone. I guess that PDF is from a newsletter because their website hasn’t been updated in over six months.

Trimix
    Free Member

I like the fact that there is not much PR. When the bikes are ready people will buy them. When the races start they will race. It’s their team, they dont need to be in your face on Social Media to keep a profile. Refreshing.

tomhoward

What makes me laugh is all the comments on IG

‘Publish details’
    ‘DM us to discuss’
    ‘How much are they?’
    ‘DM us to discuss’
    ‘Why can’t I buy one?’
    ‘DM us to discuss’
    ‘When will they be on the website so I can buy?’
    ‘DM us to discuss’
    ‘OMG I can’t buy one’

(On the first 50) ‘These are selling well’
    ‘How can they be, I can’t buy one!!11!!’

I guess they want to avoid all the negative comments from people who were never going to buy one anyway, especially over a degree or mm here or there and the price. Plus means they are only dealing with folk who have more than a ‘just looking’ interest. Then maybe look at what was popular to then produce a more standard offering for folk who don’t know what they want from a fully custom frame.

plus-one

The fact that that much money for a bike is now considered ‘normal’ just goes to show how ridiculous prices are now.

It’s called inflation

Trimix
    Free Member

Thats a good business plan. Customers can be a right pain in the backside, especially with Social Media giving idiots a voice they dont deserve. Sell to a select few you have chosen safe in the knowledge they know what they want.

paton
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Can you actually buy an Atherton bike?’ is closed to new replies.