• This topic has 79 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Can you actually buy an Atherton bike?
  • dogbone

After last night’s break-in looks like I’m in the market for a new bike. Quite like the sound of the 130mm travel one but can’t seem to find any details on how / where to buy their bikes.

All still in development?

sam_underhill

I thought they were going to be releasing stuff late summer. I wonder if the abundance of surgery has pushed things back a bit?!

Trimix
    Free Member

I actually tried the other day, not found anything for sale via their website. Probably either still in development or ramping up capability to actually sell and fulfill demand.

It’s one thing to make a few prototypes, quite another to manufacture loads to order.

tomhoward

I thought I’d heard spring next year was when stuff would be available, but can’t find where I heard (read?) it.

Drop them an email, contact details are on the website.

ampthill

I seem to remember that they said that they wouldn’t sell anything until they had confidence that they could meet demand and expectations.

Given that they are doing something for the first time I think they are correct to be patient. Although I shudder to think what they’ve spent with no income this year. Or do you think Endura covered the cost of competition last year?

Re surgery. I don’t think Rachel wss planning on being nippy on her pins to actually assemble the bikes.

Presumably the delay is getting the people doing the lugs to make sure what they send is of consistent strength and shape. Then they’ll be making sure that they can glue it all together reliably. Plus headaches over the web interface allowing people to spec’ their own geometry online. The software will have to be able check that you’ll still have room for a wheel, that the swing arm won’t hit anything, the head angle doesn’t mean that the forces ripping off the head tube aren’t more than the bike can handle. Plus the huge question “will you build a bike you know will be a total dog just because some one says it’s what they want”

Oh add presumably FOX and SRAM won’t supply stuff until they’re sure you’ll get it right

chiefgrooveguru

They’ve done it all before as Robotbike, unless they’re changing processes to cut costs, so I suspect any delays are due to nailing down geometry and kinematics – which is hard to do when Rachel and Gee are injured!

mehr
    Free Member

According to their Instagram it looks like the DH Bike is starting to be sold (50 bikes)

honourablegeorge

So it is. And they say the trail bike is ready too, inviting people to dm/email them to buy.

stevextc
    Free Member

I seem to remember that they said that they wouldn’t sell anything until they had confidence that they could meet demand and expectations.

Given the brakes take 6mo on back order not sure how that works?
    (Did notice that team riders are not all using the dirtissimo though)

Twodogs

They’ve done it all before as Robotbike

this…but maybe they’re struggling to find a supplier willing to 3d print the lugs, given that Robotbikes were declared insolvent

chrismac

They should be on sale as it’s a uci requirement to race

philjunior
    Free Member

“will you build a bike you know will be a total dog just because some one says it’s what they want”

I sort of very much hope so, it’s the whole point of the process surely (kinda)? You get the bike you want, regardless of what someone else thinks of the geo. It might be rubbish, but it might be what you expect, and might be amazing. I’m sure they’ve said they plan to do a “normal geo please” option.

razorrazoo

Looks like price on application. If you don’t think you can afford it then you probably can’t. Disappointing lack of info on the bikes really.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Athertons, Rachel is by far my favourite in the woman’s field and Gee easily in my top 5.
    But I’m not very optimistic about the bike brand endeavour.

Let me quote myself from my post at the controversial cycling opinions thread:

“An year passed since the big “next big thing” announcement and nothing happened.

Either:
    – they announced the bikes way too early into development
    – they faced unexpected issues
    – the Bikepark thing was much more work than anticipated
    – turns out there’s not much interest in the product

They keep saying “we are still fine tuning the geometry or kinematics or whatever”, but often when you fine tune a product too much you end up tuning it specifically for yourself. It’s not rocket science (unless they are into problems).

Maybe Gee’s sub standard season (for what he’s capable) also didn’t help. On WC footage I recal him on a seemingly quite nervous and unstable bike, compared to both the competition and what I remember from his Trek”

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Either:
    – they announced the bikes way too early into development
    – they faced unexpected issues
    – the Bikepark thing was much more work than anticipated
    – turns out there’s not much interest in the product

Good example of a false dichotomy there – well done. Or it could be that this was the plan all along – I don’t recall there ever being a specific date when bikes were going to be available.

JP

zezaskar
    Free Member

That’s true as well, I agree.

chrismac

I heard from a friend in the industry that the problem was finding someone willing to pay thier price to replace trek. To be fair it’s only Rachel who is at the top of the field anymore and there is lots of competition to get a big buck sponsor

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The bikes are hoaching looking tbh, mibbe the Athertons don’t want their name to them after all…

jonesyboy

They could do with tweaking the rocker link, maybe just paint the damn thing.

I’d like to see a 29er 130/150 trail bike from them.

Also agree that it would be good to see the geometry of the standard dh bike, spec list and prices. If they don’t move on it soon all the marketing impetus will be long dead

Trimix
    Free Member

Gee did win the Hardline on his bike, so to me it seems to be a very good DH bike.

endomick
    Free Member

I hate to even suggest it, but will there be a big enough demand for these marmite frames, I remember the price of robotbikes frames being over £4000, I shudder to think what a custom geometry dh frame with world champ pedigree will cost and I can’t see full builds being competitively priced given the low and slow production numbers, those trickstuff 900 euro brakes and fox X2 & 49ers.
    Paying their own salaries plus Mille and Charlie’s must already have taken a big chunk out of the dragon’s wallet.
    Rachel maybe quite close to retiring and Gee’s world cup finishes are usually way down the list, La bresse and hardline being the rare glimpse of previous form, so who’s gonna keep that brand in the spotlight and on the world cup podium in a year or two.

dudeofdoom

but maybe they’re struggling to find a supplier willing to 3d print the lugs, given that Robotbikes were declared insolvent

I don’t think Robot printed em expect Renishaw did,they also make the printer.

I have a vague idea the printers around £500k if anyone fancy’s ago 🙂

robo89
    Free Member

You’re right Trimix the Trek session 9.9 is a very good DH bike, as is Bernard Kerr’s Pivot. 😁

chakaping
    Free Member

If I were the Athertons I’d think about Pivot-ing and teaming up with an aluminium frame manufacturer to make bikes normal people can afford.

There’s still space in the market for more reasonably priced, progressive geometry bikes sold direct and they could have a permanent demo/showroom setup at their bike park.

LAT

Chakaping’s idea does seem a sensible one and the way I’d have thought people in the Atherton’s position would go.

Supplying a privateer bike with a bike with a WC pedigree sounds like an easier way to make a living than selling WC bikes to privateers.

ampthill

Do you think Endura paid enough to run all the world cups and give then a salary for the year? I hope the bikes work out. Part of that hoping that something positive has been going on behind the scenes. Like demand seemed high so they waited off until they could meet it. Perhaps they want to replicate the whole thing in the US as well

LAT

I’m not being a downer on the venture. I’m sure they know what they are doing and I hope they succeed. I am just surprised that they are going so high-end.

are they still offering custom frames?

tomhoward

Paying their own salaries plus Mille and Charlie’s must already have taken a big chunk out of the dragon’s wallet.

That wallet has $100 million in it, according to google. I bet they’re not even out of the schrapnel compartment yet.

grtdkad

don’t think Robot printed em expect Renishaw did

…and sadly Renishaws have announced redundancies in the last few days.

Renishaw announces fresh redundancies after profits nosedive

sam_underhill

Frame only prices are basically the same as a santacruz frame. So there must be plenty of people happy to pay that much.
    Personally, I really like the manufacturing process and being on my 3rd dw link bike, I definitely like how they tend to ride. If I could find the readies and the trail bike isn’t just an out and out enduro race bike, I’d definitely buy one.
    Looks like it’s just taken a bit longer to get to market, with a product they are really happy with, than anticipated.

andylc
    Free Member

Nice idea but from the images I’ve seen they look pretty minging. I’m sure there is a market for bikes that cost a fortune but look like several pieces of scaffolding stuck together but personally I’d rather have something that looks like it was designed this century.

brant
    Free Member

I’ve always seen the big problem with DH bikes is that almost everyone who wants one thinks they should be sponsored and get it for free.

russyh
    Free Member

Having seen one of the trail/enduro bikes in the flesh at a recent group ride in FOD ridden by Charlie.  I can confirm it looks lovely in the flesh.

jonesyboy

@brant it’s these bloody entitled millennials again 😉

brant
    Free Member

I was thinking more about Master And Vets!

jonesyboy

The rot goes back a long way then 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Frame only prices are basically the same as a santacruz frame. So there must be plenty of people happy to pay that much.

Santa Cruz have a huge dealer network, easy access to spares, fantastic warranty, proven design, high residuals for future sell on, and have a great race pedigree. Oh, and they look good.

So aye, just like Robot. 🤣

mactheknife

I’ll go against the grain here, I think they look amazing. A very simple design. Would I buy one?? Possibly but I would need a lot more Info on repairs, warranties etc. I’ve had a couple of DW bikes and the suspension has always been ace.

julians
    Free Member

I like them, I could see me owning one at some point, if they prove to be reliable and a good ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Can you actually buy an Atherton bike?’ is closed to new replies.