Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Can we have an RIP thread without the BS please?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ll ask if I can have the rest of the day off.

I get the feeling you’re absolutely fine about it. Your eagerness to get it off your chest here shows you’re dealing with it very well.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Are you not going to offer me a hug?

You know I’d do the same for you.

Stoner
    Free Member

‘excessive empathy’

never said “excessive” ernie. I said “ostensibly”.
    If you’re going to be so picky on quotes watch out for falling glass.

“Did you hear about the shootings in Norway?” I replied, “Yes, awful isn’t it, I can’t begin to imagine how they must all feel today”

DD, miles off beam there. There’s a massive distinction between showing empathy as part of a conversion and broadcasting trite Hallmark-card nothings to a forum of strangers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

We could grieve all day about each and every futile death but that would take up too much time and our lives would be filled with sorrow.. so why not take these opportunities to share a little manageable grief together..?

Ant that’s particularly silly. You rank other people’s tragedies in order to give an outlet for your own emotions? Publicly grieving a stranger’s loss is somehow supposed to improve your own emotional health? ridiculous.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yep. People want to display their sorrow on a public forum and then get upset when people exercise their right to say things that might argue against them. 🙄

This is surely a place for debate and discussion and threads which are no more than a condolence book are boring sterile and pointless. If you want to mourn someone without the risk of people questioning your assumptions do it privately.

For the record I was sad but unsurprised that AW died. A real talent wasted, but she had choices and responsibility for her own decisions. The Norwegian kids are a tragedy, but somehow touch me less because we knew them less. Wrong perhaps. The grief some people expressed when Jade Goody (the “people’s chav”) died I found particularly nauseating.

joao3v16
    Free Member

i’m finding myself agreeing with Stoner, in principle …

druidh
    Free Member

Jade Goody is dead?

yunki
    Free Member

ridiculous.

err.. I know you are you said you are but what am I..?

I’m not exactly sure how else best to respond to any of the stuff you’re posting.. 😕

I’m not particularly precious about death.. and I don’t imagine myself starting RIP threads..

but getting all supercilious over another’s decision to do so..?

bizarre

Stoner
    Free Member

How about explaining why you dont use the death of an alzheimic nonogenarian as a springboard to “share a little manageable grief together..?”

Or does it have to be mass murder to count? Or maybe just a famous person will cut it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

people exercise their right

Tut. Have you not read the recent posts from the Mods? You have no rights here.

People want to display their sorrow on a public forum and then get upset

Actually, there was two sevenths of bugger all “sorrow” shown on the thread in question…equally, if someone wants to disagree with the macho posturing (borrowed from tags) – then surely you have no problem with that either?

yunki
    Free Member

How about explaining

you really don’t see..? the keyword is popular.. a popular celeb.. hence the shared emotion..

DrJ

How about explaining why you dont use the death of an alzheimic nonogenarian as a springboard to “to share a little manageable grief together..?”

If there was one who’d touched our lives in some way, and that we all knew, I can imagine that that might fill the bill.

AW’s music was not that important to me – I downloaded Back To Black and listened to it a few times, like a few tracks – but when David Bowie kicks off (don’t laugh) I can imagine feeling a bit melancholy, as I listened to his music pretty much non-stop as a teenager, and it will remind me of the passing of time … 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

and that we all knew

but we “knew” AW? I doubt it.

I can imagine feeling a bit melancholy, as I listened to his music pretty much non-stop as a teenager, and it will remind me of the passing of time

As will I. But would you feel the need to weep into your keyboard as you type out your post so we can all know how you feel about a stranger’s death.

Acch. going round and round now. Im off out. Didnt mean to insult anyone individually – hope I haven’t. But I still think a little more sincerity instead of popular vacuousness that’s adds nothing but personal validation wouldn’t go amiss sometimes.

DrJ

but we “knew” AW? I doubt it.

“knew about”, let’s say, or “knew of”

As will I. But would you feel the need to weep into your keyboard as you type out your post so we can all know how you feel about a stranger’s death.

I certainly hope not!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

But would you feel the need to weep into your keyboard as you type out your post so we can all know how you feel about a stranger’s death.

There you go again – pretending that punters on here have shown excessive grief with regards to Amy Winehouse’s death. And yet you have been unable to provide a single example to back up this claim, let alone many. I haven’t seen any posts which left me thinking that the poster had been ‘weeping into their keyboard’.

I guess you must feel that if you keep repeating something which is patently untrue, then eventually it must become “true”.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

ernie – Kit’s OP read a bit like that to me. It was also inviting the discussion that has ensued IMO.

To write ill of the dead is disgraceful, if you ask me, but to debate the motives behind starting RIP threads… a completely different thing.

mefty
    Free Member

I would have posted earlier but my keyboard short circuited.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Can we have an RIP thread without the BS please?’ is closed to new replies.