Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Can we have an RIP thread without the BS please?
  • Kit
    Free Member

I’ve been personally very moved by the significant and senseless loss of life in the past week. I don’t feel there’s much I can do except offer my respects to those who have passed away before their time.

Please keep any disrespectful comments off this thread.

RIP Stepping Hill Hospital murder victims
    RIP Norwegian terror victims
    RIP Chinese rail crash victims
    RIP Amy Winehouse
    RIP Texas ice rink victims
    RIP East Africa famine victims

Feel free to add your condolences, if you wish.

piha
    Free Member

Kit plus 1

RIP Volga River Disaster
    RIP Bangladesh truck accident

Much sadness around at the moment…..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No you can’t have an RIP thread without the BS on STW. It is an absolute certainty that there will always be a small minority who lack the maturity, good manners, and respect, to avoid that happening.

Kit
    Free Member

*sigh* 🙁

Ernie, was your post really necessary or in the spirit of the thread? That’s a rhetorical question; please don’t answer it.

monksie
    Free Member

Technically, nobody’s been murdered at Step-in-ill-Step-out-dead although if that idiot security nazi gets in my way tomorrow as I pedal through the grounds of it again, inevitabley late for work, one of us might be 🙂
    Sorry, carry on.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oh sorry Kit, what were you expecting from this thread – a long list of multiple deaths which have occurred over the last week ? I don’t mind if you answer that question.

Kit
    Free Member

I was hoping that forum users would exercise some respect and self-regulation to remember the passing of so many lives without the antagonism that pervades other topics on STW.

DrJ

I was hoping that forum users would exercise some respect and self-regulation to remember the passing of so many lives without the antagonism that pervades other topics on STW.

Great idea. Let’s also have a special thread to offer congratulations to all the parents of new-born babies in the world this week, one to wish a quick recovery to everyone with a nasty head cold etc etc etc.

Good grief.

dogbert
    Free Member

It’s the internet, the device that allows people to paint a thin veneer over what they would never say in public compared to what they feel the need to say anonymously by hiding behind a username and fake persona.

Also this is the Singletrack forum is it not? Top Gear’s on tonight and the haters will be back out…….normal service will resume shortly

brakes
    Free Member

RIP Top Gear (2008)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Changed mind, not the place.

Stoner
    Free Member

Cant beat the opportunity for a bit of vicarious grief.

Perhaps we should read the names of the previous day’s dead each morning before starting “what tyre” threads. Its the only decent thing.

yossarian
    Free Member

Can we have an RIP thread without the BS please?

The simple answer is no. I echo your sentiments but this is not the platform for expressing them. It’s one thing to use the deaths of others as a tool for introversion, professing it on a largely anonymous forum is asking for trouble. This thread will degenerate into a debate about grief athletes which I suspect is the opposite if what you want. If I was you I’d ask the mods to pull this thread before the spiral gathers pace….

mattsccm
    Free Member

Agree with Yoss.
    And there is no way that the death of a junkie should be compared to some thing like Norway or Africa.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Over 1,000,000 people died world-wide last week. If you’re going to express your condolences for people you don’t know you should be thorough. You’d better get started if you’re going to keep on top of it.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Perhaps we should read the names of the previous day’s dead each morning before starting “what tyre” threads. Its the only decent thing.

Hear hear.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What’s the point in an RIP thread anyway? Forum threads are about discussion, that’s the point of their existance. If you’re moved by something or want to stop and think about it – do. It is a sad time (though I don’t think statistically any different to any other time) but that doesn’t mean a forum needs to be asked to consider it quietly while reading your post.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so would I but then I also frequent STW and realise the likely hood of this occuring is very slim.
    Not sure we need to morn every passing Stoner but I think the OP is more asking that people dont say they dont care that someone has died or call them a waste of skin for example..this is not the same thing.
    My work colleagues dad died last week I was utterly unaffected by this news personally but I did not say this to them when they told me and tell them about the great weekend I had riding.
    On here I dont like cars or watches or top gear but I dont go on these threads to explain why I dont rate them and pour scorn on those who do I just avoid reading them.
    I dont expect any of this to actually happen on here though but agree with the OP in general.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My work colleagues dad died last week I was utterly unaffected by this news personally but I did not say this to them when they told me and tell them about the great weekend I had riding.
    On here I dont like cars or watches or top gear but I dont go on these threads to explain why I dont rate them and pour scorn on those who do I just avoid reading them.

I suspect it’s because your work mate didn’t come in and gather everyone around and say “My Dad died” and then expect everyone to either ignore that info or make pleasantries. Normally when people are moved by sad things they keep it to themselves unless asked.

Bringing attention to the deaths of people you don’t even know and then expecting everyone to take note and sit solemnly is stupid, most people won’t care (not calously, just because they have no way of knowing them and no way of putting it in context) and have enough issues of their own to deal with.

It begs the question why you’d post it in the first place. Do you assume everyone has no natural empathy and needs attention bringing to it? Are you the guardian of careful quiet thought? Jesus, posting it here is like saying it in a pub. Do you honestly expect everyone to stop and think, or do you expect them to take another pint and laugh in your face?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I suspect if someone said their dad had died nobody would say the didn’t care. Saying someone you didn’t know died is something completely different.

Edukator
    Free Member

I find it quite refreshing that some STWers don’t feel bound by “never speak ill of the dead” and some go as far as “good riddance to bad rubbish”.

I found all of this week’s headline deaths sad but if Lance Armstrong or Tony Blair die before me I’m celebrating.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I found all of this week’s headline deaths sad but if Lance Armstrong or Tony Blair die before me I’m celebrating.

That is quite an odd hate list you have there.

crazy-legs

It’s not that particular thread, it’s a small but very vocal number of people who seem to spend 23hrs a day on the forum commenting on each and every bloody post, regardless of if they have anything useful to contribute.

Personally I couldn’t give a stuff about Amy but I just ignore the thread. Unfortunately, there are others who just have to stick their oar in, the same goes for loads of other threads. It’s basically just trolling and occasionally it drops into very poor taste.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Normally when people are moved by sad things they keep it to themselves unless asked.

Eh you sure about that”hiya how are you” Fine or crap my dad died which is more likely ? Hiya nice weekend? – Yes fine or no my dad died etc – you would not tell people if this happened?

I suspect if someone said their dad had died nobody would say the didn’t care. Saying someone you didn’t know died is something completely different.

I did not know their dad why would I – it is the same thing

That is quite an odd hate list you have there.

+1

Edukator
    Free Member

Really, 5thElephant? Would adding Clarkson make it less odd?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Personally I couldn’t give a stuff about Amy but I just ignore the thread. Unfortunately, there are others who just have to stick their oar in, the same goes for loads of other threads.

Same could be said about those who post the posts in the first place though, that’s the point of a forum. Some people post posts that I consider nonsensical, pointless or downright irritating. They have that right, and I have the right to reply to it (though generally dont). By posting your opinion here you’re inviting others opinions. There are people with lots of opinions (this is the real world, after all) so what else do you expect? You can’t pick and choose your audience online.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s the point in an RIP thread anyway?

Well it’s a pretty normal and standard procedure to inform others when someone fairly famous has died, or when someone known to them has died – no great mystery there imo.

However there will always be small minority of sad inadequates who see it as an opportunity to inform everyone just how little they care, or how much they disliked the person and how glad they are to hear of their death. What motivates these people is a mystery to me. Although I’m hugely satisfied by the fact that I don’t understand their train of thoughts.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Really, 5thElephant? Would adding Clarkson make it less odd?

Not really. Maybe a pattern will emerge when you publish the full list.

I did not know their dad why would I – it is the same thing

No, but they did. Feeling emotional about the death of your father is reasonable and expressing condolences to that person is equally reasonable – in person.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Eh you sure about that”hiya how are you” Fine or crap my dad died which is more likely ? Hiya nice weekend? – Yes fine or no my dad died etc – you would not tell people if this happened?

Not sure I understand that post at all, it doesn’t seem to form normal sentences, but I’ll have a stab…

Posting a thread isn’t the same dynamic, and apart from that someones dad is much more personal. Posting a thread is walking ito a room and saying something to everyone – you wouldn’t walk into work and say “my dad died, discuss”. That’s why “RIP these people” or “Amy winehouse dead” threads are essentially just sensationalist “look I’ve got news you should all look at” posts, that I dislike.

Well it’s a pretty normal and standard procedure to inform others when someone fairly famous has died, or when someone known to them has died – no great mystery there imo.

However there will always be small minority of sad inadequates who see it as an opportunity to inform everyone just how little they care, or how much they disliked the person and how glad they are to hear of their death. What motivates these people is a mystery to me. Although I’m hugely satisfied by the fact that I don’t understand their train of thoughts.

I don’t think it’s that normal to be honest. When I saw Winehouse had died I though “shame for her parents” and went on with my life – why the hell would I post it on singletrack? I didn’t even mention it to my nearest friend, and in fact found it really odd when I got a text from a friend telling me. I just don’t get why anyone would think it a good idea to post on a forum for discussion, I never do – drug addled person or not. I can understand those who post looking for support with a family member who died, but a famous person (that everyone will find out through the news anyway)? Why? And to then have a mini hissy fit when people say things they don’t like? Very odd.

Edukator
    Free Member

Oh dear. I’ve only started three threads on STW and one of them was in hommage to Mark Haines. Not one reply so either no-one felt concerned or everyone felt my black-humoured tribute to the respected CNBC anchor was fitting.

cbike
    Free Member

Can we not have any RIP threads at all. Others personal feelings about people they don’t know are not interesting to us.

If it was this would be singleobituaryworld.

BigJohn

Rest in Peace. One of the most fatuous comments in my opinion.

kudos100
    Free Member

It’s the internet, the device that allows people to paint a thin veneer over what they would never say in public compared to what they feel the need to say anonymously by hiding behind a username and fake persona.

sums up quite a few on here, I wonder why this forum attracts so many idiots?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Coffee king – I see your point about not doing RIP threads in general. However once they are mentioned it seems a bit off/unkind/heartless to enter the thread to call her an oxygen thief and a waste of skin as one poster did. I wont discuss /debate it anywhere but here so I have to accept you are correct in general – I did even contribute to it but will not in future threads like that.

hilldodger
    Free Member

RIP decency, common sense and respect – stw forum 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

RIP decency, common sense and respect

…hello fatuous, threadbare, “empathy”.

I agree with JY, there’s no need to go into a RIP thread and be nasty, but equally RIP threads are a gawking overindulgence to the terminally uninteresting. Go handwring and sob over someone you dont know in private if you feel the need. Doing it in the middle of the STW town square is just a self indulgence.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A bit harsh stoner – but I tend to agree. The ones that really annoy me is the death of an anonymous cyclist somewhere in the UK. At least we know who Amy Winehouse is.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but equally RIP threads are a gawking overindulgence to the terminally uninteresting

That’s an exercise in making a fatuous statement in itself. There are the world of completely uninteresting (to me, but not to all) threads day after day – but that’s the beauty of STW – someone will find something interesting – there’s no point whinging about it. Somebody quite famous and talented died – it’s obvious people are going to discuss their work and contribution to arts – this can be done without being maudlin you know. It’s not just STW where you’re going to find insensitivity. I guess you believe it’s all just beneath you and if you do, then just shut the arse up about it TBH or find a forum where everything that gets mentioned interests you and is to your taste.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

RIP – The squirrel I squished today.

Stoner
    Free Member

Somebody quite famous and talented died – it’s obvious people are going to discuss their work and contribution to arts

No problem with that bit.

Its the “rest in peace, she was a troubled soul” or “obviously my thoughts are with her family right now” fatuous witterbollocks that’s just a shout of “me, me , me! I can be more empathetic than you!”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Can we have an RIP thread without the BS please?’ is closed to new replies.