Viewing 37 posts - 121 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • Can we have a whats the new scandal like to ride thread?
  • Premier Icon paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m building mine up now and reckon large would be borderline for my height but I’ve long ape arms and I’ll whack a sun 40mm stem on a riser bar as per my full suss.

I have a C456 so I expect a more compliant frame and 29” wheels and tyres should be more comfortable- or that I ever got too battered on the C456.

Premier Icon isitafox
    Free Member

How do people think it would ride on a set of Exotic rigid forks?
    Says they’re corrected for up to a 130 fork on a 29er.

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

Running selcof rigid fork on mine. Rides great bit choppy over rough stuff as expected but upper body workout guaranteed 😉

Premier Icon snotrag

What’s the biggest fork anyone is running?

I’ve got a nice light Reba, low rise bars, skinny mavci wheels etc on my build which is great given I use it as a second/XC/local rides only type bike.

I need to do a bearing change on my Hightower which means stripping it – I’m tempted to put all the ‘good stuff’ onto my Scandal, which would be a Fox 36, 4 pot brakes, 30mm wide dt wheels and big tyres etc and run it as my only mtb over winter.

Premier Icon scaredypants

Fox34 29er 140mm

That works fine but yr 36 may be quite a bit longer

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

What’s the biggest fork anyone is running?

Mine’s got the RS 35 at 130mm that came with it, but measured up my X-Fusion McQueen is the same axle-to-crown at 140mm.

Premier Icon mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Medium….

What length seat post are folks using?
    Thinking of a Brand X dropper…

Premier Icon snotrag

Im 5ft10 and run a 125mm dropper, I could fit a 150 when riding clips but when on flats its just a little too tall at full extension.

I’ve got short legs/long body mind!

Measure and check carefully is my advice, although it means a bit of faff and delay, I’d wait till you get your frame (and maybe try a spare regular seatpost) to make your measurements before ordering a dropper.

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

I’m running 150mm dropper on medium. I’m leggy

Free Member

I’d ordered a 170mm, but, once I’d got the seatpost it came with at the right height I changed my order to a 200mm.

Large.

Premier Icon mikertroid
    Free Member

Cheers folks-will have a measure with an old dropper. 👌🏼

Premier Icon cloggy

Planet X selling scratched frames via ebay. Just got one.

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

Planet X selling scratched frames via ebay. Just got one.

£250 for a damaged frame. Makes my early order of £150 look an absolute steal.

Premier Icon paulneenan76
    Free Member

£150 was obscene and £250 is still a snip depending on just how paint chipped they are?

Premier Icon akira

I got one of the earlier batches of slightly damaged frames. One small chip on the head tube and that was it, obviously the bargainous of this was cancelled out by the forks and wheels I had to buy but ho hum.

Free Member

Well, nothing is ever as cheap as we plan when building a new bike up. I was gonna swap bars n stem from one frame to the other and then decided I must have 35mm clamp, saw a bargain set of RaceFace bars and then I’ve had to buy a stem too – I validated this by telling myself the coloured bars on the old frame won’t match the Orange Scandal frame.

Oh and the green composite pedals will probably need to be black and the new Peaty Tubeless Valves would be ideal at £25 rather than use the old ones which are fine but probably gunky 😂

Free Member

Couple of threads on oval chainrings and I’m now wondering if the 32t oval I’m about to swap onto the Scandal build will fit? Anyone got one and done this?

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

I’m running 32t normal ring. Apparently 34t oval works

Premier Icon cloggy

Mine had the ally showing about the size of a match head. Kept quiet about the frames until I had a delivery note…

Free Member

Thanks Plus-one. Sounds like I’ll be more then fine with a 32t oval then. That’s £40 saved.

Premier Icon snotrag

32t oval on mine, on a 4 bolt deore crank. Plenty of clearance.

Free Member

Cheers Snotrag

Free Member

Anyone else measured up the fork travel?
    Mine’s measured at and giving 140mm.

Only noticed as I have a spare set of X-Fusion McQueen’s and thought I’d measure up as they’re 140mm and I wondered about their suitability as they weigh loads less (1.95kg rather then 2.35kg) and when I looked at the A-C they measured the same. Then I measured the travel…

I haven’t opened them up to check the air shaft though.

Free Member

On what fork? RockShox 35?

Premier Icon cloggy

Anyone know what the correct rear axle is? Big Dog one doesn’t thread in.

Premier Icon cloggy

Ok done my research, know why, just have to find one….

Free Member

On what fork? RockShox 35?

Sorry, yes. The one that came on the full bike (shown as 130mm).

Free Member

Sorry. Never worked out how to quote after all these years.

But. 140mm doesn’t seem to steep a leap so if it’s weight saving you’re after and it all fits then I’m sure you’ll get away with it. Though I’m equally sure someone will be along to say it throws the geo out too much 😉

Premier Icon cloggy

I’d be more concerned that the frame has been tested to 140

Free Member

I’d be more concerned that the frame has been tested to 140

They delivered it with 140mm travel forks, so it’s ‘implied’ – and I’m only 80kg.

Free Member

For those like @Snotrag that have a 32t chainring, oval or not, did you use any drive-side spacers on the bottom bracket? I’ve got one spacer in there and wonder if that’ll cause chain line issues?

Ta.

Free Member

Going with one spacer drive side and see how I get on.

Premier Icon liam99
    Free Member

Mine arrived yesterday, got it at the £999 offer and also got the 10% off thanks to @damascus – cheers!
    First impressions are that the saddle is terrible, and the gear indexing is a mile out, and the brakes are pretty feeble, hopefully they bed in.
    Looks lovely though!

Premier Icon mikertroid
    Free Member

Mine arrived earlier, built up this evening.

One of the the stem front bolt threads stripped at about 3Nm 😔; thankfully I had an old Thompson X4 stem which went straight on, the bolts from the On-One stem were nicer than the 2.5mm Thompson ones, so I’ve used those 😎

Otherwise, its looking great in black. Tubeless conversion tomorrow morning and a tyre swap; I’ll put a dropper on next month.

Think it’s going to be a fab bike; fits well. I’m 176cm and I bought a Medium. I wouldn’t want a large.

Can’t wait to ride it!

Free Member

What dropper are you going for Mikertroid? I have BrandX on the other bike after years of annoyingly faulty Reverbs but was thinking I may try something different as I couldn’t see any BrandX deals.

Premier Icon mikertroid
    Free Member

@P76

Probs a B-x again. I’ve got an old 125mm one I’m going to put in to check how much more room I have and see if a 150mm will go in.

In the meantime, I’ll whack on a QR collar from my spares box.

Premier Icon steamtb

@liam99 definitely swap that saddle out! The brakes are excellent when bedded in, I’ve used mine on some pretty long downhill tracks with no issues (I’m 72 kg). Luck of the draw with indexing, mine was perfect.

I am really getting on with the Scandal now. Yesterday, I managed some very steep climbs that have always been near impossible before and jumping / drop offs are feeling a lot smoother than they did initially; all very relaxed and comfortable. My WTB tyres suit this time of year perfectly too, never a drama with grip. 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 121 through 157 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.