Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Can we have a “Trail-side repair kit that you won’t leave home without” Thread?
  • nickc

I feel like my trail side repair kit falls into; big day out stuff that’s evolved over time and sits happily in my day pack, and I don’t want to break that up but if I’m just going out for a quick couple of hours escape locally, I’ve ended up with a mish-mash of spare links and an old pump and a few crappy bits that I’m pretty sure could be improved on, and let’s be honest  the world ‘o’ tools threads are almost as much fun as new bike threads…So, what have you got? Lets see multi tools with everything, flash low volume craft hand made stuff from sheds in North Vancouver, to pimp OTT Euro weight weenie do-it-all…all the way through to rolls of carefully curated survival equipment tried and tested over years…

grahamt1980

Multi tool, leatherman, cable ties, gear cable, duck tape and a spare inner tube and pump.
    That’s about it

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Unless it’s a big ride when I’ll take a pack, my everyday kit is: Pump/CO2 inflator, tubeless repair kit, multitool inc. chain breaker, quick link, gear cable, cable ties, tyre lever. Crammed into the smallest possible frame bag.

Pyro

Pump (Lezyne micro floor drive) and shock pump in rucksack or CO2 and a smaller pump in fanny pack, plus a little dry bag containing:
    Multitool (Crank Bros F15)
    Cheap pretend Leatherman thing, just for blade and pliers.
    Tubeless fork and a couple of anchovies.
    Split links, instant patches, tube, tyre boot.
    Tyre levers

That’s about it.

submarined
    Free Member

Inner tube, levers, glueless patches, EDC with fiver and spare links, all on bike. Zip ties, phone and Dynaplug in pocket.

simondbarnes

Just a pump, tyre lever and tube on the road. I add a tubeless repair kit with the mtb.

el_boufador

Inner tube and tyre levers in a micro saddle bag.

Micro pump on bottle bosses

In my small bumbag:
    Puncture repair kit including tubeless anchovies. Some zip ties in there too.
    Topeak hexus multi tool
    Very small multi tool with knife and pliers
    A small mints tin with a length of gorilla tape around it. In there, some spare single speed links, quick links for other 11/12 speed bikes. Some spare spoke nipples. A couple of paracetamol.

For longer rides I may add to this another tube, shock pump, spare gear inner cable.

That’s it.

oldnpastit

Phone.
    Garmin.
    Possibly a banana.

Northwind

Topeak Hexus 2 multitool, tubeless repair kit and either a pump or some co2. I carry moreif I’m taking a pack but that stuff’s saved enough rides to make me consider it essential

100psi
    Free Member

Unless it’s a big ride when I’ll take a pack, my everyday kit is: Pump/CO2 inflator, tubeless repair kit, multitool inc. chain breaker, quick link, gear cable, cable ties, tyre lever.

This is what I take along with spare tube, a small roll of insulation tape, 2 x disposable latex gloves, money and some id.

lunge

Pump with tape wrapped around it
    Tube
    Mini-tool
    Tyre lever
    Spare mech hanger
    Cable tie

kerley
    Free Member

I take one item – a mini pump that goes in my jersey pocket.
    That is all I take and all I have ever needed for those times when the tubeless tyre doesn’t seal quick enough and too much air is lost so needs a top up.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m isolating & bored so pulled apart my Dakine HotLaps2 bum bag, it stays the same for a 3hr ride of going for 3 days:

Blackburn Shorty pump or Leyzeyne Control Drive & 25g CO2 cannister
    Topeak Alien XT
    Whistle
    Pedros tyre lever
    Inner tube
    Weldtite Tubleless Repair Kit (also with: split link, valve core, cable ties, Park tire boot)
    Mobile phone.

There’s a bit of space left for food / layers.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Nothing on a 2hr ride, why would you ?

Learn to maintain your bike and ride with a bit of mechanical sympathy and you won’t need anything

martymac

Learn to maintain your bike and ride with a bit of mechanical sympathy and you “”probably”” won’t need anything

FTFY

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pump
    Tyre levers
    Spare tube
    Park glueless patches
    Spesh chain tool in top cap
    Birzman teeny tiny Allen key multi tool
    Victorinox Rambler

kerley
    Free Member

Learn to maintain your bike and ride with a bit of mechanical sympathy and you won’t need anything

Tend to agree apart from you must be very special to be able to avoid ever having a puncture.

chrismac

Tend to agree but also a small first aid kit

duckers
    Free Member

Both bikes have a small seat pack with
    Standard puncture kit
    Tubeless repair kit
    Chain tool + links
    Gear cable
    Allen keys
    Spare tube strapped to top tube
    Pump clipped to bottle cage
    Phone
    Cash + snacks on bigger rides

This means they’re always ready to go with minimum faff.

dannyh
    Free Member

Pump
    C02 and inflator
    Tubeless repair kit
    Swiss army knife (has come in very handy a few times)
    Crank bros C19 multitool
    Cheapo multitool thing with mini pliers
    Spare quick links
    Spare mech hanger
    Spare valve and core
    Tyre levers
    Cable ties
    Duct tape wrapped around pump
    Spare jockey wheel

Phew, sounds a lot, but it fits in a relatively small Camelbak.

One or two bits are probably overkill (jockey wheel) but I don’t like having to walk home, even from a local ride.

Edit: And a spare tube strapped to the frame.

Matt_SS_xc

Wolftooth encase in bars. = allenkeys, chaintool, tubeless repair (they live on the bike)
    Tube, pump, levers either in bumbag or top tube bag depending on my mood.

ayjaydoubleyou

One up EDC.
    Storage compartment contains brake pad pin, disc brake bolt, little cable ties and tubeless repair bacon strips.
    Pump on frame.
    (I’m anti-CO2 purely because I’m just so terrified I’ll mess it up and be left with nothing that I’d have to carry a pump too)

Longer rides (remember them) I’ll have a bag with tube, brake pads, possibly a shock pump. (Yes I have once had a mystery pressure loss on my forks, able to pump back up trail side).

Superficial
    Free Member

Probably the best thing I did recently was put all my tools on the bike. Now I never have to think about anything except water before I set off which is truly great. I’d love a SWAT box for neatness (but not enough to buy a Specialized or Trek).

My setup is: One up EDC with some tubeless anchovies pre-installed underneath and a cleat bolts, some patches.
    Frame strap with tyre levers x2, CO2x2 and a Tubolito spare tube.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

MTB:-
    Topeak Mountain Morph Pump
    Topeak Hexus Multitool
    Leatherman Supertool
    Tube (maybe 2 on a big day out)
    Tubeless repair kit (might replace with a Dynaplug doofer soon)
    Normal puncture repair kit (I guarantee that if I have to put a tube in, I’ll need it)
    Tyre levers
    Cable ties
    PVC & Gaffa tape wrapped round pump
    Basic first aid kit inc survival blanket
    Little tin of spare bits – inc mech hanger, spd cleat, asstd bolts, quicklink, brake pads, tyre boot, gear cable, jockey wheel.
    Quite often a shock pump.
    (some of the spare bits could be seen as overkill, but a) I’m not interested in walking home b)if its gets a riding mate out of the doodoo with minimal dicking around it’s worth it.)

Road:-
    Mini pump
    dynaplug racer and tyre levers taped together
    PVC & Gaffa tape wrapped round pump
    Tube
    Topeak Mini 18
    Quicklink (in the Mini 18 pouch)
    Glueless patches (in the Mini 18 pouch)

Gravel – very similar to Road, but a fatter pump, a bigger tube and a little tin of spares ala MTB

keefmac

small tool bottle containing:

stique tyre levers

quick links

co2 and inflator

chain tool

zip ties

latex gloves

multi tool

all my bikes have a bottle cage so it just goes in there. water carried in a bladder in backpack or hip bag. spare tube mounted on frames.

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

Gravel bike and SS share a saddle bag with

Hexus X mini tool,
    pair of tyre levers,
    pair co2 canisters and inflator,
    tubeless puncture kit,
    spare tube,
    quick links,
    flypaper puncture kit,
    strips of gaffer tape,
    cable ties,
    razor blade,
    wee length of single speed chain and
    two nurofen plus.

Mountain bike kit is pretty much the same but lives in a camelbak.

Pumps live on the bikes.

johnx2
    Free Member

for my local moor and around my phone and that’s it at this time of year. I’d rather just roll home or walk if I have to if anything needs sorting. Riding further then a light multitool with a chain breaker and quick links, pump and spare inner (not had to use since going tubeless), prob a light waterproof, a muff, a few plasters, possibly some malt loaf, water.

xbike then tool, quicklinks, inner, puncture repair kit in an underseat bag, water, pump, waterproof.

road, barely done in a year but pretty much as xbike but minipump in the bag, maybe a caffeine gell and ibuprofen if I’m going a distance. Drugs init.

I can see the point of a spare mech hanger, but What’s everyone doing with those shock pumps? Actually, not sure I want to know…

momo

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kJ1N5R]EDC[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

OneUp EDC pump (100cc) with EDC tool inside (with quick links) and a CO2 cartridge, couple of long strips of tape (sparkies and 1″ gorilla) wrapped around it. Mounted to bottle cage.
    Small saddle pack with Dynaplug racer, spare dynaplugs
    Tube
    Tyre boot (in the folded tube for protection)
    Cable ties folded around tube
    Old school puncture repair kit box containing instant patches and a small square of sand paper, tiny little folding pliers (£3 ebay specials!), valve core tool and a couple of spare cores, tyre lever, rotor bolts x2, folding knife for trimming tyre plugs, more small cable ties.

Big days when I’m more remote and carrying a pack I’ll have a second tube and a spare cable and a short length of chain and extra quick links

Tim
    Free Member

Pump (CO2 can’t add a few psi and is wasteful)

Bastardised Topeak alien removing all the unnecessary tools and stuffed in a ‘cool tool’ pouch.

Tube (I haven’t got a tubeless repair kit yet)

Phone

Quick link

I can strap this to the bike easily, but I’m probably going to dig out my camelbak for this year so I can take more water and a litter picker/folding spade on local trails / jacket on bigger rides.

intheborders
    Free Member

Nothing on a 2hr ride, why would you ?

Based on your other post, because you’ve a 5-6 mile push back on tarmac after your hanger separated on the Enduro descent?

mjsmke

Shorter rides:

In a small innertube bag in middle jersey pocket:
    Multitool
    Chain links
    Cable ties
    Tubeless repair
    Money

In another jersey pocket:
    Innertube.
    C02 pump.

Longer rides or if I need to carry layers or more water:
    Osprey backpack with the same as above but a normal pump instead of C02

tabletop2
    Free Member

It seems like basically everyone takes the same thing. You don’t need much to not spoil your day, aslong as you can tighten bolts, rejoin a chain and fix any puncture issues you are good. Anything else is a bonus

Some people risk a bit more and just have plugs and inflation or belt and braces with plugs, tubes, patches co2 and pump

BillOddie

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Hip Pack Ride</span>

Minipump

CO2

Tube

Park Patches

Tubeless repair kit

Topeak Mini 9 multitool

Gerber Dime (for tiny pliers and bottle opener)

Chain Tool

Quick Links

Tyre Levers

Cable ties

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Backpack ride (i.e. longer or if I have the kids with me and it’s not just the local woods)</span>

All of the above but with a bigger/better pump

Shock Pump

Spare mech hanger (if replaceable)

Plastic Crank preload tool (the little round shimano thing)

T30 wrench (for crank bolts as not on multitool)

Blue latex gloves

Small thing of chain lube

Brake pads

Spoke Key

Small First Aid Kit

Ibuprofen & Hayfever drugs

Half used mini roll of Gorilla Tape

Tyre boots

Couple of chainring bolts, rotor bolts, brake mount bolts, few chain links. (weighs very little in the grand scheme of things and can get you out of a pickle)

Rockshox Enduro Collar in case of dropper failure.

Set of cleats and the bits that they mount to inside the shoe (I have had a cleat bolt come out coming down the (last) descent of a Lakes ride in winter…

I have been known to carry a spare rear mech and spare spokes too but that was for “In the middle of nowhere rides” in BC/random bits of the Alps/Pyrenees with no mobile coverage and walking out would take hours and probably include an unplanned overnight kip out..

tjagain

the only things I will hardly ever leave the house with are a multitool, some chain links and either a tube and pump or a tubeless kit and pump depending on bike

For long days out i would add a puncture kit, some cable ties and an couple of nuts and bolts.

for tours add a second tube maybe, spare gear cables, seal kit for the brakes, spd cleat and bolts ( yes I did once lose one) maybe a spare brake hose and fittings

Northwind

tabletop2
    Free Member

It seems like basically everyone takes the same thing. You don’t need much to not spoil your day, aslong as you can tighten bolts, rejoin a chain and fix any puncture issues you are good. Anything else is a bonus

Some people risk a bit more and just have plugs and inflation or belt and braces with plugs, tubes, patches co2 and pump

Aye, agree. The difference is mostly where people draw that line of “most likely to go wrong” and “easiest to sort”, rather than really being in intent. And also how you feel about pushing/aborting, which I hate- At the end of the day I’d rather carry a tube and inflation of some sort and ride, than push- even on uplifts it makes sense to me, I’m there to ride.

And also I guess if you ride in groups and how well equipped your mates are. Racing a couple of EWS rounds made me realise that for a lot of the minimalist “I ride light, I don’t need water or tools” guys it actually means “I am confident I can blag it off another rider but that won’t stop me telling everyone how self sufficient I am”. I felt like a rolling feed station/repair shop.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Mini pump
    Tyre lever
    Puncture repair kit
    3/4/5mm hex keys (or multi tool)
    Spare tube (if planning to be out 3+ hours, but didn’t yesterday)

I’ve been quite lucky on my South Downs rides over the last four years, literally handful of punctures max, I’ve pierced far more tubes at home switching tyres and on commutes.

Tim
    Free Member

People carrying hangers always intrigue me. The chances of hitting your mech hard enough that the hanger breaks and the mech survives are pretty slim, so at that stage the hanger is pretty irrelevant.

el_boufador

People carrying hangers always intrigue me. The chances of hitting your mech hard enough that the hanger breaks and the mech survives are pretty slim, so at that stage the hanger is pretty irrelevant.

It’s happened to me. Had a hanger with me and it saved a big ride in the lakes I’d have been really pissed off to miss

Northwind

Tim
    Free Member

Depends on how well designed your hanger is tbh! They’re supposed to be sacrificial, if they’re not breaking away or bending away in the situation you describe then they’re not doing the job. That said, sometimes the hanger does its job and the mech still gets eaten by the wheel.

But of course, in my pack is a hanger for a bike I no longer own, and no hangers for bikes I do

Tim
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Can we have a “Trail-side repair kit that you won’t leave home without” Thread?’ is closed to new replies.