Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Can we have a ports and airports thread for the summer?
  • bubs

It could be useful to post experiences i.e. Dover, give it an extra 8hrs… Gatwick, extra 2hrs for security (if your flight still exists)?

dazh

Went through Dover last Saturday. Took 2.5 hours (lucky considering the news this weekend!) to get through the port. Missed our scheduled ferry but was put on the next one with no questions asked. About to go through Calais in a couple of hours so will report back on delays France side if any.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Flew Edinburgh to potiers a week ago.

No queue at all at security

Half hour delay on flight

Landed at potiers and got fast tracked out of the sun direct to passport control line sue to infant.

Fully expect Mondays return leg to be a pig

aP
    Free Member

Anyone got recent experience of the likely processing time to get the ferry from Portsmouth?

ahsat

Manchester queue to check into Emirates in mid July took nearly 2 hours. Security was super quick.

Return 10 days later, I was on the train within 40 mins of landing (with an full A380 worth of people) including picking up checked luggage.

dazh

No queues at Calais. Drove straight into the port so whatever is going on at Dover isn’t affecting the French side

csb

so whatever is going on at Dover isn’t affecting the French side

They don’t need to check who is leaving France and UK immigration daren’t check who is coming in?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did the tunnel on late Thursday night/early hours of Sunday. Maybe 45 minute delay to train but nothing serious. Calais end was easy as always. Mighty relieved we’d done tunnel when I read about Dover on Friday morning.

dazh

They don’t need to check who is leaving France and UK immigration daren’t check who is coming in?

Nope, passport checked twice, first by the French, then by the British.

Dickyboy

You’ll need to make sure your passport is stamped both in & out of eu too, otherwise you’ll be in trouble next trip 🤔

chrismac

Spent the whole of last night in the traffic jam that was the m20 to get on the tunnel. Joined the traffic jam/ queue in day light checked in in daylight. E caught a train 10 hours late. It was awful. Crawling in 1st gear for 7 hours

matt_outandabout

Plymouth two weeks ago: it too 10 mins to clear booking and security, in and out of the port.
    Glasgow and Southampton airport for UK flight: took a few mins to clear security. Bag drop and collection was slower – maybe 15 mins queue.

noshki

Flew from Heathrow Terminal 5 on Thursday, supposed to be at 1600 but was delayed by about 50minutes. Took an hour to get through the security queue. All seemed to be running quite smoothly. At Pisa airport had my passport stamped for the first time when visiting a European country. Didn’t really seem to take much longer than normal ie pre Brexit enforced checks.

MoreCashThanDash

Daughters orchestra got through Dover today – set off half an hour earlier than original plan, which ad involved getting to Dover at 2pm for a 4pm ferry.

They caught the correct ferry which was running 15 minutes late.

Pleasantly gobsmacked given the news and travel reports.

oldtennisshoes

Flew LGW (South terminal) to EDI last Saturday as a connecting flights.
    The terminal was mobbed – few places to sit down, all concessions rammed etc.
    Security was busy but moving – little drama. Sat on the plane for 1h our before pushing back though. On the whole, it was better than I was expecting.
    Just considering a trip starting at MAN in October, and I’m not convinced I can bring myself to do it. Truly hateful airport.

csb

Nope, passport checked twice, first by the French, then by the British

Ah, so the real test is when all those stuck today try to get back in. But they won’t all be leaving at the same time. Can’t be long till Uk adopts a staggered regional school holiday system.

matt_outandabout

Can’t be long till Uk adopts a staggered regional school holiday system.

We do.
    Scotland and NI already do different dates, and Scotland is slowly moving to all October holidays being a fortnight.

BoardinBob

Left Glasgow at 5:30am this morning heading for the tunnel.

Got to within 1.5 miles of the tunnel before we hit the traffic. Moved slowly and we got checked in within about 50 minutes. That was around 5pm.

No idea where these Twitter posts are coming from about people who’ve been on the motorway for 8 hours and haven’t moved

For example

csb

Can’t be long till Uk adopts a staggered regional school holiday system.

We do.
    Scotland and NI already do different dates, and Scotland is slowly moving to all October holidays being a fortnight.

So just the other 90% of the Uk population to go…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

So just the other 90% of the Uk population to go…..

Nah your ok. The system works fine as it is….;)

csb

Nah your ok. The system works fine as it is….;)

Indeed, our week in Scotland once their schools have gone back is absolute bliss.

MoreCashThanDash

Scotland is slowly moving to all October holidays being a fortnight.

The breakaway Republic of Nottingham City dies the same.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Indeed, our week in Scotland once their schools have gone back is absolute bliss.

That’s an interesting take….because Scottish school holidays are staggered.

DickBarton

Only by a week though, so unlikely to have an impact on the many that insist on trying to leave the country on the same weekend as all the others…

cheers_drive

I dropped my wife a kids off at Stansted this morning. It was grim, the queue for RyanAir was the whole length of the terminal and back again BEFORE it started the usual snake to the desks. No one directing people where to queue, the only announcement was not to queue before 3 hours before your flight. Unsurprisingly most people where as it was taking over 2 hours to clear check in and security.
    I’ve had a message to say that their 6.30 flight has now been delayed to 2pm due to operational issues.

belgianwaffle1

Went through Dover today and it was fine, I think they have fixed the issues.

bubs

Gatwick, North Terminal this afternoon was the fastest and smoothest I can remember. Of course, our plane hasn’t arrived yet but at least we are airside.

ads678

TBF the school holidays in England start at different times as well. My Nieces and Nephew in Leicester finished school two weeks earlier than my kids in Leeds.

We like the fact that Leeds always has the same 2 weeks in April for easter so we can often get away when other schools are either still open or have already gone back.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well bags dropped and airside at pottiers…..

French regional airports ….making west Africa and FSU state airports look good.

About 40 seats to share. No food , no water , no room.

No information on the flight either. But thanks to flightradar we know it was an hour 15 late leaving Edinburgh.

If we get home before midnight tonight I’ll be surprised. Even more so if we get our bags.

hot_fiat

French regional airports ….making west Africa and FSU state airports look good

Their non-LGV railways are equally appauling. I always got the impression that Chambrey might be typical of their other regional aiports (all aprt from Nice which is gorgeous).

Any one used Hull Rotterdam this week?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Dropped off at LBA Thursday gone for an early flight, take a “seat” and wait to be called to security no point joining the (huge) queue was the advice at check-in.

By all accounts people were arriving at 5am regardless of flight time because of the queues, so they were trying to deal with most of the day’s worth of security at 6am, so there are huge queues. “wouldn’t be a queue if people couldn’t check in until 2 or 3 hours before their flight like they used to” was the grumble from airport staff.

It’s panic buying big roll all over again.

I’m currently looking forward to BA losing my bike in a fortnight’s time when I transfer at LHR

jam-bo

No idea where these Twitter posts are coming from about people who’ve been on the motorway for 8 hours and haven’t moved

obviously all a remoaner conspiracy. sunlit uplands ahoy!!

Plymouth two weeks ago: it too 10 mins to clear booking and security, in and out of the port.

one ferry a day, sometimes not even that…

ElShalimo

Does anyone know if the Dunkirk ferries are affected by the current problems?

All I hear about is the Dover-Calais route and EuroTunnel

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well despite a firmly crap use experiance at both airports….

We were only an hour late( pretty good for Ryanair on a good day) and all bags received even if we couldn’t actually move them/car seat /pram and toddler between us…….

Passport control was smooth and fast as was baggage collection.

nicko74

Dropped off at LBA Thursday gone for an early flight, take a “seat” and wait to be called to security no point joining the (huge) queue was the advice at check-in.

By all accounts people were arriving at 5am regardless of flight time because of the queues, so they were trying to deal with most of the day’s worth of security at 6am, so there are huge queues. “wouldn’t be a queue if people couldn’t check in until 2 or 3 hours before their flight like they used to” was the grumble from airport staff.

LBA has a glut of flights up until about 8am, then rather fewer until the evening rush. So my assumption has always been that from opening til about 730 would be rammed, but 8am-5pmish it’d be a bit quieter. The other week I went through at 5pm and I honestly thought security must be closed, it was so quiet!

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Just flew back from Geneva they have people before the check in queue. If you are trying to check in too early they tell you to go away!

dove1

Flew Bristol Airport to Menorca last Saturday. 6.20am flight. Arrived at the airport at about 3.45am and queued for about 40 minutes to check in then another 10 minutes to get through security.
    That all went smoothly but once through security it was rammed. Every food outlet and bar had massive queues and there were very few seats free.
    There were about 20 flights leaving between 6.00am and 7.00am so I don’t know if that was the only reason why so many passengers were there or whether passengers for later flights were arriving extra early just in case of massive waits.

scuttler

LBA always a doddle late in the afternoon.

Ambrose

Family flew in from Geneva last Saturday. Very crowded and very delayed at the Geneva end, no problems at LHR. Return flight was yesterday, no problems.
    I took my daughter in law to Bristol Airport to fly to Geneva this afternoon. 30 min delay on the 18:30 flight but no huge hassles.

stumpyjon

Manchester Airport, terminal 1, never seen it so quiet, 30 mins from car to depature lounge. 10 people in front of us at security. Now got several excess hours to kill, just waiting for breakfast.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.