Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can the 2nd gen Ford Galaxy do this….?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

I miss my van 🙁

Not looking like I’ll get another one for some years. Thinking about alternatives, and was wondering the following:

-is there enough room in the back of a 2nd gen Galaxy with the rearmost 2 seats folded down for 2 adult mountain bikes*, fully upright, front wheels removed?

I still need to carry 4/5 people from time to time, so was hoping that the second row of seats could stay upright for passenger use while doing this.

Failing that, I wonder if an MTB would go in to the same area sideways with the front wheel off? (I can obviously slacken the stem and rotate the bars through 90 degrees, in line with the top tube)

thanks all….

*2018 Whyte T-130 in a medium frame.

smokey_jo

Don’t know about a galaxy but in an smax you could get 2 bikes upright with 2 of the 2nd row of seats up and one seat in the 3rd row up with front wheels off and bars rotated

joshvegas
    Free Member

Thats quite a big ask!

mattbee

We have to fold the back seats and one of the second row to get 2 bikes in upright  with front wheels off. You could leave one of the rear seats up and still get 5 people in though.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No chance.

In my SMax so same length boot as the Galaxy (Galaxy may be a few mm longer but essentially the same in terms of usable space)…all the rear seats folded. so only two front seats…could squeeze them closer together and deploy one of the middle seats.

To get 2 MTB’s in the back with the middle seats up you’re looking at both wheels off either laid flat or propped upright width-ways.

matt_outandabout

I used to fold one side seat of middle row. Both bikes then went in together, front wheels off and saddles down.
    The galaxy boot is I think 12cm longer and significantly higher than smax.

geex
    Free Member

MK3 can.

Easily.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you’re on about the gen 2 Galaxy from 2006 to 2014 (the gen 1 being that effort that was shared between the VW Sharran and the Seat Alhambra) then it and the SMax (SMax was introduced at this stage) were both based on the Mondeo estate chassis/floor pan and essentially the same car, but for the taller headroom in the rear of the Galaxy as the 6th and 7th seat were designed for adults to sit in so their knees were not up by their ears as they were in the SMax were the roofline tapers down a bit from the middle seats (headroom for the middle seats was the same in both cars). But in terms of length the Galaxy exterior dimensions is only about 52mm longer than the SMax (4,820mm vs 4,768mm), so interior dimensions was essentially the same in terms of length and width. Obviously the volume was greater in the Galaxy but it was all additional volume due to the higher rear roofline, so not really usable additional volume, other than for additional headroom for occupants of the 6th and 7th seats. To use all three of the middle row of seats you’d have had to remove rear wheels and put the frames in at an angle or something like that.

They might have grown the Galaxy in later generations, I don’t know, but certainly back when I was comparing the two models in 2009, they were essentially the same apart from the differences mentioned above, so not going to be a huge help in terms of fitting MTB’s in there.

Looking at the photo of the bikes in my SMax above (two long travel 29ers, medium frames), you could have squeezed the two bikes closer side by side and utilised one of the three middle seats, but you’d struggle to have squeezed them any closer enough to liberate the middle seat and fit in two adults in the back. However thinking about it, if you squeezed the bikes in closer together you might have been able to utilise one of the middle seats and one of the third row seats. Never tried it so can’t confirm and not sure where you’d put the rest of the gear like wheels and boxes.

joshvegas
    Free Member

MK3 can.

Easily.

you’re saying you can get 5 people in and two bikes with back wheels still on in the boot?

I can do 2-2-1 in my touran with 2 bikes, its made slightly easier by my in built bike rack but the rear passenger needs to watch their eys on the handlebars 😀

mattbee

Not in a 2nd gen. Unless they are tiny bikes. Can’t believe the Mk3 is that much bigger either

Ours is a 64 plate and I’d not get any of our various bikes in there in a combinauof 2 with all of the 2nd row seats up and back wheels in.

As I said before if you put one seat of each row down you’d get them in with 5 available seats but little luggage space. Or fold both rear seats down and get 4 people and a fair bit of space in the boot despite the bikes

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks all- appreciated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can the 2nd gen Ford Galaxy do this….?’ is closed to new replies.