Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Can someone recommend me a new chain set please. (gnarmac content)
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Looking to replace my CX chainset on my Arkose. Would like something a little bling. Was thinking Middleburn but not sure which one to get, I’m currently running full ultgra. Anything else out there I should look at.

Thanks 🙂

teadrinker
    Free Member

Sunday morning bump anyone

bish

Sugino maybe?
    http://www.alexscycle.com/cranks/road-1-2-3-4-5-6/sugino-ox901d-compact-plus-11spd.html
    Gives you the option of going smaller than 34 tooth inner.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve not said why you want to upgrade, but performance or light weight per £ is poor in chainsets.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As you’re running Ultegra, the only step up is Dura Ace, because nobody makes better chain sets than Shimano. Middleburn would be a step down.

somafunk

Middleburn R02 x-type touring for me on the tripster, allows me to fit 28/38 chainrings, I’ve ran Middleburn cranks on all my bikes for 20yrs+ without any issues – lifetime warranty as well but i’ve never had to use it.

The gearing suits my needs, along with the praxis 11-40 cassette so a low gear of 19″ and a high gear of 95″.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

because nobody makes better chain sets than Shimano.

Middleburn definitely used to…

aP
    Free Member

The current Chorus Ultra Torque 4 bolt chainsets are very nice. And super easy to install and maintain.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yuo should get Ultegra to match. But the new Campag stuff looks awesome, or you could get a Cannondale chainset which look about the best.

lunge

I’m with PeterPoddy on this, Shimano make brilliant chainsets, pick the price you want and buy that would be my advise.

firestarter
    Free Member

I prefer middleburn . So much so i waited an extra month for my bike to be built due to a delay at middleburn rather than take a shimano

simondbarnes

I actually agree with PeterPoddy. I think the world will end now 🙂

teadrinker
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses, I actually already have an Ultegra on it, but I had an off the other day and the chain came off the outer and scratched the arm, no other damage, just decided it now looks untidy and I clearly need a replacement.

I know everyone has different opinions but the middleburn really does float my boat. May look at heading down that route 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The middleburn set is square taper I think – which could be considered a good thing.

bigrich

these days, at the wattage most people turn out, crank choice is just down to aesthetics.

unless they are FSA. which are shite.

m1kea
    Free Member

I asked a similar question last month

Nice as the Middleburns look, the pricing really doesn’t do it for me

dirtyrider
    Free Member

these days, at the wattage most people turn out, crank choice is just down to aesthetics.

what? 😆

come on elaborate here

bigrich

what?

come on elaborate here

they’re so stiff most people can’t flex them

amedias
    Free Member

I had an off the other day and the chain came off the outer and scratched the arm, no other damage, just decided it now looks untidy and I clearly need a replacement.

Got to be one of the weakest justifications for an upgrade ever! 😀

Based on the above I would say buy whatever you like the look of best, performance is much of a muchness* at decent level and it looks like your priorities lean more towards aesthetics, have you considered buy another pair of unscratched Ultegra?

*Although personally I think you can’t beat Shimano for shifting performance, there are stiffer (who cares), and lighter options out there but Shimano rings really are very slick.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

DAMN those tyres look fast.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Rene Herse

Good choice of ring sizes, and for use with square taper bb.

tang
    Free Member

Rotor are worth a look. But I do like middleburn ro2 and shimano!

somafunk

The middleburn set is square taper I think – which could be considered a good thing.

The R02 takes a standard external BB (24mm axle), I have the middleburn BB fitted and I drilled a small hole in the BB shell for water/condensation to escape from.

DAMN those tyres look fast.

They are fast on the road (and off road) and a doddle to set up tubeless, they upped my average speed on the road from 6mph to the heady heights of 7.6 mph 😀 , doesn’t sound like much difference (nor an average speed to be impressed with) but when your spinal cord is as fked as mine and your legs are capable of only a meagre amount of watts i’ll take any improvement no matter how small.

Compass Barlow Pass tyres

jameso

Shimano make brilliant chainsets

They do but I’m not keen on the new offset bolt pattern and ring/crank integrated design. Works brilliantly though.
    I got a Middleburn 48-34 suare taper set up for light CX/road stuff and use a 40-28 XT on a more distance / load carrying set up. A Middleburn with the Incy spider and 28-42 could be perfect. The spider swaps and adaptability of Middleburn appeal more than the admittedly slicker performance of Shimano and the new R02 clinches it. Who needs slicker than average shifts between 2 rings, 1 of which I’m on 75% of the time?

teadrinker
    Free Member

Well i decided that i don’t need one its just a want but looking at the middleburn its proving hard to resist. I will no doubt post a gearing set up later.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Can someone recommend me a new chain set please. (gnarmac content)’ is closed to new replies.