Can someone please explain to me why chavs and neds….

Home Forum Chat Forum Can someone please explain to me why chavs and neds….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Can someone please explain to me why chavs and neds….
  • kevj

Place a plastic carrier bag around the seat of their Apollo BSO?

I’ve seen this a few times now, and it’s always an angry tracksuit, riding on the footpath, beside the road.

I haven’t been able to spot if it’s the same brand bag, but they all tie it off on the seatpost.

Stops them infecting an inanimate object.

hexhamstu

Stops the saddle becoming saturated with rain water as they leave their bikes outside.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

It’s because that’s what you want to believe.

richpips

I thought it was just people called Kev who did that?

brakes

why chavs and neds….

always unhook the rear v-brake cable

piemonster

Can I be the first to be offended on behalf of chavs and neds

mudshark

Ya wheels goin’ round.

uselesshippy

Keep the seat dry.
    And brakes, it’s so the massively buckled wheel, will still spin.
    Just be thankful that they’re not in a car.

kevj

[Quote]Drac – Moderator
    It’s because that’s what you want to believe.[/quote]

Definitely more of an observation.

Richpips; I doff my hat in your general direction.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Oi, there’s a wheel following you.
    The inevitable shout if I pass a certain block of flats on our road.
    E.V.E.R.Y. T.I.M.E. ๐Ÿ™„

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Definitely more of an observation.

Your spotting the ones you want to though it’s how it works a great mind trick.

kevj

Not sure about that one Drac, I tend to check out most bikes I see. I then obviously rank both the bike and the rider in true STW style.

Tonight, for example, the ‘offender’ nearly drove into the side of my car as he crossed the road (path to path). As I glanced at his tracky, I noticed the plastic bag on the seat.

It all adds up to the same. Every time.

No helmet too. But that’s another thread.

Duggan

They’re often surprisingly good at wheelies though

brakes

what’s your point Drac?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

We notice what we want to notice it’s the same as when people say something like “It’s alway BMW drivers who hog the middle lane” next time you spot s BMW driver in a middle lane your brain will trigger that thought and you’ll think “Oh yeah so it is”. Works the same it’s subjective observation is that Chavs alway ride with a carrier bag on their saddle.

It’s used by illusionists to perform certain tricks I can’t recall the proper term.

kevj

I disagree here (and to be fair, I intended this to be a bit tongue in cheek). Once the bike is half decent, the rider tends to wear a helmet, sometimes bike specific clothing, and never, ever have I seen a decent bike with a plastic bag on the seat.

Care to provide a pick of your bike seat Drac? ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I know it was tongue in cheek but it is how it works, wish I could remember the proper term.

It has no bags on it but I don’t always where bike clothing and not always a helmet. Maybe it’s not half decent anymore.

johnners

Observation bias?

kevj

Drac, I didn’t for one moment have you down as a chav. My observations are not limited to stereotypical norms though.

I’m a strong believer that males in particular, tend to ‘dress up’ for the occasion. Take storm trooper downhillers or someone who wants to start running, who then buy all the gear.

I like to ride in a tee shirt in the summer, sometimes in jeans.

Yesterday, I saw a lad on a spesh camber wearing q full face mask fleece hat. It was 10deg at the time.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Cheers Johnners it triggered the answer on Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer-expectancy_effect

Yeah there are those who for some reason dress to the stereotype but again we notice them more as it’s what were expecting to see.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Surely everybody puts a bag on their saddle when they leave the bike out

What you’re noticing is those who forgot to put a bag on, got their 200 quid brooks well-soaked and had to cover it up to stop their rapha shellsuit getting stained

kevj

Yeah there are those who for some reason dress to the stereotype but again we notice them more as it’s what were expecting to see.

Ok, then there is one lad I see most mornings (sorry if you are on here), who rides a BSO on the North rd out of Darlington. He properly gives it some. Wearing (and I kid you not) a orange hi viz vest and a full face helmet. Hardly any stereotype.

Go to the Lakes. 99% of bikers out for the day wear bike kit. The ones who don’t stand out more. Your suggestion that I am blind to things I don’t think I will see is slightly flawed.

kevj

Ok, then there is one lad I see most mornings (sorry if you are on here), who rides a BSO on the North rd out of Darlington. He properly gives it some. Wearing (and I kid you not) a orange hi viz vest and a full face helmet. Hardly any stereotype. I noticed him because he didn’t wear standard mtb issue baggies etc.

Go to the Lakes. 99% of bikers out for the day wear bike kit. Do the ones who don’t stand out more? Yes. Your suggestion that I am blind to things I don’t think I will see is slightly flawed.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Go to the Lakes. 99% of bikers out for the day wear bike kit. The ones who don’t stand out more. Your suggestion that I am blind to things I don’t think I will see is slightly flawed.

No it’s just not all for the time for everything but then again you notice the ones who don’t wear bike kit more.

Just like some people don’t meet a stereotype.

Duggan

confirmation bias, i think it’s called

i.e if you buy a new pair of jeans and think you look a bit stupid in them but wear them anyway. Then, if you hear someone laughing as they walk past you, you immediately think ‘it’s the jeans’ ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Not this has ever happened to me though

kevj

Drac, I had to edit my post as my phone is poo. Edit makes more sense hopefully ^

cbmotorsport

Duggan – Member

Misspent youth and all that. They’re also great at smoking Mayfair and selling knock off Reebok Classics.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Thanks Duggan that seems more like it or am I just believing that as it’s what I want to believe.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Drac, I had to edit my post as my phone is poo. Edit makes more sense hopefully

Yup it does it show you not noticing those that don’t ride with ‘wearing bike gear’ of course it could be that the Lakes is very popular with more serious bikes so there’s loads of them.

kevj

Drac, let’s revisit your first post;

It’s because that’s what you want to believe.

What is ‘it’ that I want to believe? I have tried to explain that I notice both ends of the spectrum and all modes inbetween.

Not really sure what your point is now.

Like I said earlier, this was meant to be a bit of fun.

piemonster

What is ‘it’ that I want to believe? I have tried to explain that I notice both ends of the spectrum and all modes inbetween.

Not really sure what your point is now.

What seems to have happened here is that Drac wants to believe that you want to believe whatever he believes you already believe. What you actually believe us irrelevant. Duh!

yunki

I live on a council estate..
    I spotted two stereotypical chavs wandering past our bit earlier today and they were so out of place that it took me by surprise.. I instantly checked my bikes and watched the two kids to see what they were up to..
    They walked on, straight through our bit heading to the posher houses through the cut..

A closer look revealed their look was carefully tailored chav chic, with good quality trainers and clothes.. I imagine that placcy bags on their bike saddles would have been a step too far though.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

lol Piemonster.

My point is what I said it was, we sometimes only notice what our perception and beliefs tell us.

And yes I know it was tongue in cheek.

kevj

To be fair, I only notice Toyota Yaris drivers who drive in the left hand lane of motorways (we only have two lanes up here in the grim north) as they generally drive at 56 mph despite no cars in the slow lane (I fully embellish the stereotype I am portraying here).

But, I do take mild offence to my refined level of bike snobbery.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

2 Lanes you must be on the faux North up here we have 1 lane on the major roads.

But, I do take mild offence to my refined level of bike snobbery.

Understandable.

djglover

The lady on my old street had this, she was no chav. Bike was a bit of a BSO though and she had also adapted some plastic milk bottles into motorcycle style hand protectors, which I thought were quite innovative

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

Duggan – Member

Yep your spot on there.

I work in sunny Toxteth and the swarms of trackie wearing lads who can pull 200 meter wheelies while puffing on a joint/posting a pic of their judy showing her clam is staggering.
    Some are one full on BSO’s but a fair few are astride some fairly obvious stolen kit.

Drac the stuff going on in Alnwick isn’t quite the same as Moss Side, Toxteth, Rusholme, Cantril Farm etc

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Drac the stuff going on in Alnwick isn’t quite the same as Moss Side, Toxteth, Rusholme, Cantril Farm etc

Hey someone looked at me funny the other day it’s getting tough out on those streets.

kevj

2 Lanes you must be on the faux North up here we have 1 lane on the major roads.

I travel to Aberdeen regularly with work and my preferred route to Edinburgh is the A697. Net slower driving speed, but overall a far more pleasant journey.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Can someone please explain to me why chavs and neds….’ is closed to new replies.