Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Can someone lend Euan a rifle ?
  • cranberry
    Free Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tony-blair-calls-for-ground-forces-to-fight-a-proper-war-against-isis-a7044766.html

I’m sure that his belief in himself another ground war in the middle east means that this time he will put his own son into danger before anyone else’s. I can loan Euan Blair a Land Rover, but does someone have a spare rifle to loan him ? It doesn’t need to be an excellent rifle, just about good enough/fairly reliable will do.

sobriety
    Free Member

It doesn’t need to be an excellent rifle, just about good enough/fairly reliable will do.

So not an SA-80 then.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Somebody needs to get him Aliens.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I saw this and thought Blair had sent his offspring to Sandhurst, any man/woman prepared to send other peoples children to war should be prepared to send their own in at the front.

ninfan
    Free Member

“If you want to defeat these people, you’re going to have to go and wage a proper ground war against them,”

Is he wrong?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is he wrong?

If you canearn all the lessons of history (Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam etc.)
    Then work out who you are fighting
    Then work out how to bring peace and stability to the region
    Who should be your allies
    What the objectives are
    How you are going to achieve them
    Plus a lot more then put the option of troops on the ground on the table.

Northwind

We don’t need to send ground forces- I remember Mr Cameron explaining about how as soon as we sent in the RAF, 70000 syrian fighters would rise up and deal with ISIS. That probably happened pretty quickly.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I find your constant defence of Blair quite touching ninfan. And it says so much about both of you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Statement of the obvious really, ground war needed. In Syria this is happening with a combination of Iraqi, Kurdish, Syrian and Russian forces. Libya is rather more disjointed at preseng but an effective ground war will come.

I find your constant defence of Blair quite touching ninfan. And it says so much about both of you.

Blair is stating the obvious. To say so is “defending” him how ?

cranberry
    Free Member

If you want to defeat these people, you’re going to have to go

Is he wrong?

No, he isn’t wrong- he is clearly stating that he won’t be the one doing the going or fighting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Blair is stating the obvious

And massively over simplifying the situation. What is the end game here?
    What is “victory”
    How do you stop a ground war from becoming a massive recruitment poster?
    How much of the region are you willing to invade to accomplish the unstated aims?

ninfan
    Free Member

Yeah, but is he wrong?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

To say so is “defending” him how ?

I think you’ll find that like you ninfan is constantly defending Blair from criticism.

Two dyed-in-the-wool rightwing Tories defending a “Labour” politician who is otherwise almost universally criticized.

If someone had never heard of Tony Blair that fact alone would tell them pretty much all they would need to know.

ninfan
    Free Member

Lots of ad-hom and sophistry over the aims and objectives above… but nobody actually disagreeing with him!

Strange that 😉

Still, like I said last week, now that Thatcher is dead, the left need somebody to blame for everything.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No he’s a great guy who knows how to bring peace to the Middle East. There’ll be a report coming out in a few weeks that will make precisely that point.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Still, like I said last week, now that Thatcher is dead, the left need somebody to blame for everything.

Yes of course, no one blames Thatcher now that she’s dead 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but nobody actually disagreeing with him!

I disagree.
    A ground war will not kill off isis, same as it didn’t really work in Afghanistan and the taliban.
    If anything it will plunge those involved further into difficulties and probably be extremely bad for the civilians there. However doing nothing is also a bad solution.

Guess it’s actually a really complicated situation that might otherwise have a solution. It certainly doesn’t have one that won’t involve a lot of pain.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ernie why don’t you try and discuss the issue not what I or anyone else thinks of it ? Right off to start a Chilcot thread

jambalaya
    Free Member

A ground war will not kill off isis, same as it didn’t really work in Afghanistan and the taliban.

Sooner or later the “locals” have to take responsibility for rhe situation. IS growth was largely due to incompetance of Iraqi military, that and outright cowardice.

zippykona

Am I too late to call Tory Blair an absolute **** **** of the highest order?

cranberry
    Free Member

It is never too late, but you will find yourself at the end of a long queue.

jimbobo
    Free Member

Ground war wouldn’t work. Isis picked up where taliban out down. Armies can fight armies, but ideologies are a bit more tricky. I don’t have a solution, but I’m pretty sure war isn’t the answer.

Del

Blair’s looking for vindication. It’s like your mate who’s started using coke, asking why you’re not doing it too.
    He’s wrong. Again.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

Ernie why don’t you try and discuss the issue not what I or anyone else thinks of it ?

Well it’s a “forum” so discussing what other people think is to be expected.

But yeah ok, to get back to the issue…….no I don’t have a rifle to lend to Euan.

twistedpencil

I can lend him a nerf gun, but he ain’t having my son fight for his ego.

imnotverygood

Does the panel think that Tony was always like this, and hid it very well, or did the corruption of power drive him a bit mad?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Can someone lend Euan a rifle ?’ is closed to new replies.