Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Can rats (or mice) eat through expanding foam?
  • spacemonkey

Some of these little buggers are getting into our shed during the night and tucking into various things. I've found at least one "entrance" and am thinking about plugging it up with foam.

It's a brick building and so far they seem quite partial to a bit of brickwork if they sense some googdies on the other side.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    SM

coffeeking
    Free Member

Apparently, yes. Ours haven't managed to yet. The advice I got here last time was "if it happens again pack the gap with wire mesh/brillo pads and expand the foam into/around that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They can eat through that stuff like butter

mcmoonter
    Free Member

They luuurrrv Camelbak bite valves

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Foam is meat and drink to these boys – they can gnaw their way through lead sheet and cable sheathes so a wee bit of foam wont hold them back

>It's a brick building<

Err – use mortar?

spacemonkey

Err – use mortar?

Err, they eat through that too, hence trying to find something different.

pack the gap with wire mesh/brillo pads and expand the foam into/around that.

Excellent – hadn't thought of that. We've got loads of wire fencing so I'll roll some up and plug it with foam.

Cheers

flamejob
    Free Member

I was idly standing at our server in the office and a triangular piece of lead whooshed past my ear and embedded itself in the floor.

Close call.. Rats in the ceiling had gnawed it off. Bastards.

Macavity
    Free Member

Warfarin

spacemonkey

Warfarin

AFAIK rather a nasty way to die. Also creates a poisonous food chain.

I don't want to kill the little feckers, I just want to stop them breaking in.

eckinspain
    Free Member

As coffeeking suggested, go to B&Q and buy some wire wool (not wire fencing). It's like brillo pads and they can't eat their way through it. Remember if you can fit a pencil into a gap then mice can get through it, so apply liberally!

spacemonkey

Ok, wire wool and foam it is then.

Cheers all

Macavity
    Free Member

A cat?

pault41
    Free Member

My trick for my rats which come each year is Lace it with poisen as it goes in the hole ,that way they get a dual purpose meal , fills em n nukes Em . 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A cat?

To fill the hole with?

spacemonkey

My trick for my rats which come each year is Lace it with poisen as it goes in the hole ,that way they get a dual purpose meal , fills em n nukes Em .

So when the rat disappears off and dies (probably in agony), his body is eaten by other members of the wildlife fraternity who in turn get secondary poisoning … some of which die as a result and provide more poison for the food chain. Clever 😈

Brooker99
    Free Member

according to our pest control contractor what actually happens is that the rat goes back to his (or her) nest and then dies there. Then cos rats are so nice the dead one gets eaten by the rest of the family.

So yes there is secondary kill – but of more of the target, not different ones…

Problem is if ratty's a bit slow cos he's not feeling very well it's easier for the owls/hawks etc to catch them when they do go out…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I heard they go to water as the poison gives them insatiable thirst, then they drink so much they eventually explode poisonous remains over every surface for over 100 yards, killing all it touches with it's Alien-like acidity.

Possibly.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Err, they eat through that too, hence trying to find something different.<

Your mortar is clearly made of cheese then!

Karinofnine

Maybe you could provide them with a food source outside your shed?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Undoubtedly.

I left a unopened pasta'n'sauce packet inside a lidded saucepan in my shed, something chewed through the aluminum pan to get to it.

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 for cat 🙂

Can you get cat-scent in bottles to spray? Or just find a neighbourhood cat and lock it in the shed with a big bowl of water and wait for it to piss everywhere.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Can rats (or mice) eat through expanding foam?’ is closed to new replies.