Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can Pikes be changed from 26" to 650B?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I’m sure I know the answer to this, but I thought I’d ask anyway. Can I change my 26″ 160mm Pikes to 650B? In my mind all it *should* need is new lowers but I don’t know about fork offset/rake etc and whether all the internal gubbins is the same length.

Anyone know?

haggis1978

You can do this with Fox forks, I know this as I might be doing it. Turns out the only difference is the dropouts and bridge. Sorry if this doesn’t help.

matther01
    Free Member

Heard you can change the 26″ dual to 27.5…making them 150/120 instead of 160/130. Not sure about offset etc tho.

bigjim

If you can find the RS parts pdf you should be able to figure out what is different, at a guess it might just be the lowers. Wouldn’t be surprised if the cost of lowers isn’t far off what the fork retails for at discount though!

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s not just the forks you need to check the rear wheel will fit inside frame and for FS still clear on full travel.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m planning on buying a new frame, and it would be nice if I didn’t have to buy a whole new fork as well.

Or maybe I’m planning on making a “67er”.

Superficial
    Free Member

So from the spare parts catalogue (https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/_vsHOKraQvVdZbP1gLbC3gOoYniUOjbJv1kegx6C93w/mtime:1383143110/sites/default/files/techdocs/2014_rockshox_spc_rev_a_0.pdf), it looks as though everything has its own parts number. Whether or not that translates to physically different parts, I don’t know.

I.e. there is a different parts number for the lowers, uppers, air spring, damper for each of 26/650b/29.

I think mather01 is right though – the 26″/160mm air spring shares a parts number with the 27.5/150mm.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Anything with a different PN is a different part – where shared, they use the same code.

IIRC it doesn’t work out anything like cost effective to swap bits around to change wheelsize

bigjim

the air springs are definitely interchangeable as they say on them the travel at each wheel size

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can Pikes be changed from 26" to 650B?’ is closed to new replies.