Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Can my toenail be saved?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Not as dramatic as some on here, but yesterday I dropped a chair on my big toe. **** me did it hurt. Now there’s some blood under it, it looks like, but it’s not overly bothersome a d doesn’t hurt a lot. Only affects walking a bit.

So will the nail fall off? Is it worth asking a doctor to remove the blood to release pressure?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just leave it, it’ll eventually be lifted off by the new nail growing below. Mrs Nobeer gets them running, and always worries that the nail won’t be replaced and she canny wear sandals, but it does.

scotroutes

If it’s as bad as this then probably not. Thus one hung on for a week and came off this weekend.

Takes a year to grow back apparently.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dovebiker

If there’s blood under the toenail and some pain, you can release it by getting a hot paper clip and burning a hole – I took my wife to A&E when she slammed her finger in a big sliding door and that’s how they dealt with it. (Wincing emoticon)

Yup, it’ll take about a year to grow-out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Takes a year to grow back apparently

Hers first went black in about April, it’s pretty much fully replaced now, but she has tiny nails.

scotroutes

Greg – that reads like it’s happened more than once. Has she tried to resolve it or has she just accepted it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Colin, no, it’s pretty common in ‘new’ runners, it’s the second and third toe, as they tend to move about a bit more, and get a battering running downhill.

Dunno whether it’ll settle down of not tbh.

TheBrick
    Free Member

You can keep it in a jar when it falls off I that helps?

Drac

Probably not but it might if it does it’ll only take a few months for it grow back.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s currently blue.

leffeboy

So will the nail fall off? Is it worth asking a doctor to remove the blood to release pressure?

My daughter did similar a month ago. We left it initially but when it got too sore took it to docs to let blood out. It eventually fell off and is now growing back. No kittens died in the process

Best bit was that she dropped a weight on it which I heard but didn’t see but there was no swearing involved so wasn’t concerned. When saw the toe the next day I was very impressed, I couldn’t have managed that

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

One of my big toe nails ended up with a big bruise and blood under it after a ride ~12 months ago. A new nail grew under the old one, there’s only a tiny sliver left of the old nail now on the left side, after I began attacking it around late June.

highlandman
    Free Member

If it becomes very painful as it sometimes does, try not to trouble A&E by asking them to trephinate for you; it’s easy to do yourself with a very hot (large) needle or straightened out paperclip.

Once the spike is suitably hot, it wil melt through the nail like a knife through butter so don’t lean on it or use force..

mattyfez

Probably lose it.

New nail will grow underneath and force the old one off. If it’s not disturbed it’s pretty painless but the dead nail will remain very attached for some time and be very loose.. That’s the dangerous part is if you get it caught on a sock or something it will hurt like hell.

When it happened to my big toe, when the dead nail became a flappy liability I trimmed parts of it off with some clippers as it was liftable but still really attached .. To minimise the chance of a snag .

allthegear
    Free Member

I managed to peel my big toe almost off. Yes, it hurt.

Grew back pretty quickly, though. Less than 3 months.

Rachel

tdog
    Free Member

Either see GP or drink more milk

Dickyboy

My feet differ by a shoe size, so getting a good fitting pair of trainers or boots is somewhat tricky – my big toe nail is often knackered, it appears to have given up trying to grow back fully now 😞

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s getting much better already.  I can walk normally and the colour is fading.  My wife reckons in her experience that bruised colours under the nail don’t always result in nail loss.

Drac

I’ll cancel the hospital pre-alert for you.

tdog
    Free Member

I was told by my GP to fit a condom over toe to allow the natural moisture to build back the skin and promote nail growth*

* My GP may have been struck off for advice like this although a handy or rather footy tip 😂

molgrips
    Free Member

Although I wasn’t in too much pain it was still swollen so I thought I’d try the needle through the nail thing.  I was worried that I’d stab myself in the nail bed.  But then I thought if there’s a bit of blood behind the nail there’ll be some leeway to stop before stabbing myself.  Well, there wasn’t.  Stabbed myself in the nail bed.  Also, whilst poking about I could feel that the back of the nail is detatched already and wobbling about.  Bugger.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If only there was a thread on here about pulling your own toenails off..

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/diy-toenail-removal-not-for-the-weak-of-stomach/

scotroutes
    BadlyWiredDog

I was told by my GP to fit a condom over toe to allow the natural moisture to build back the skin and promote nail growth*

How long are your toes?

BadlyWiredDog

Although I wasn’t in too much pain it was still swollen so I thought I’d try the needle through the nail thing.  I was worried that I’d stab myself in the nail bed.  But then I thought if there’s a bit of blood behind the nail there’ll be some leeway to stop before stabbing myself.  Well, there wasn’t.  Stabbed myself in the nail bed.  Also, whilst poking about I could feel that the back of the nail is detatched already and wobbling about.  Bugger.

Honestly, once the initial pain goes, it’s really not a big deal going nail-less. The area under the nail kind of toughens up once it’s exposed to the world and a new nail grows over it slowly.

The whole point of relieving pressure with a needle / paper clip is that you do it if the pressure build-up causes pain btw, not if you’re ‘not in too much pain’… a bit late for that I guess.

molgrips
    Free Member

Update, as I’m sure you’re all following this:

Pain went away after a week or so but the back of the nail was still loose.  Forgot about it, but then a couple of weeks later noticed that the nail wasn’t wobbly, it seemed to have reattached itself.  Comparing it to the other toe it had obviously stopped growing, but now seems to have started again.  Remarkable.

dazh

You mean you had the willpower to leave it alone? I’ve now done 3 DIY big toenail removals after stuff like this happening. It’s weirdly satisfying. I even took pictures of the last one I did (not going to post them) which was particularly problematic as only about a 3rd of the nail had come loose.

senorj

I ripped that same toenail off on a carpet room divider thingy. It really hurt a lot.

The toenail grew back but has a wiggly ridge at the top!

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bet on it not coming of. The last time I lost a big toe nail it did all that but still fell of 4 months later !!

molgrips
    Free Member

You mean you had the willpower to leave it alone?

I had a poke around but it was still solid so I didn’t try.  When I was a kid and I lost my thumbnail it started hanging off so had to be pulled, but this one apart from the purple looks entirely normal.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Can my toenail be saved?’ is closed to new replies.