Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Can my employer do this legally?
  • Drac

Are you saying BH’s are subtracted from your annual holiday entitlement (in the NHS) or added to it, then taken at a different time?

Depends if you’re a shift worker or not. 9 to 5 Monday to Friday then it’s a days holiday like most people. Shift workers get the hours added to the annual leave as they may have to work bank holiday.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Yes out of the 28 days holiday we get we have to also count bank holiday days in that number.

Suprisingly though this is the frst time in 6 years of working here that I have ran out of holiday days.

But yes it shows the state of the place I currently work.

surfer
    Free Member

It sounds like they are added to your annual entitlement then and not included in it which is the impression I got from the post above.

kittyr
    Free Member

It happens! Not sure if its the whole of the NHS (probably not the highly paid bastards) but my gf is a nurse and has to book bank holidays out of annual leave. Bloody disgusting.

Why is it ‘bloody disgusting’? Your GF will have a total annual leave allowance which includes a credit for the bank holidays. In a way this is better, she can book any day she likes off and go away when it is nice and quiet rather than on a rammed bank holiday Monday.

Do you think hospitals should totally shut down for bank holidays?

The UK stat min is 28 days paid leave. There is no stat entitlement to have these days fall on bank holidays.

tjagain

Quick humblebrag – as a nurse with decades of time served I get 8 weeks a year holidays!

Phil_H

but my gf is a nurse and has to book bank holidays out of annual leave. Bloody disgusting.

Mrs H is a nurse working shifts for NHS Scotland, if she works on a bank holiday she gets paid extra for it and gets to take the bank holiday at another time. I’m not sure what’s “bloody disgusting” about that? More money for the same shift seems like a winner to me.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Can my employer do this legally?’ is closed to new replies.