Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • can i use the old olives when shortening the hoses?
  • alpin
    Free Member

got the old one off but can’t get the bugger back on…..(the ring onto hose)

bit of a bugger to get free too…

Jamie
    Free Member

Also use a new olive. Its the law.

alpin
    Free Member

‘always’ use a new olive…?

bugger. everything is closed tomorrow because of the stupid catholic bavarians cuhurch goverment…..

wait till monday…. 🙁

stonemonkey
    Free Member

ive done it before sucessfully but you have to be very careful chances are you’ll squash the olive but worth ago if its this or nothing

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hope its fine to – shitmano I doubt you can

stoney
    Free Member

What tj said, i have done it with Hopes loads of times.

Jamie
    Free Member

Should have added, I was assuming it was Shimano as never been able to re-usue one. But then my toolkit only consists of hammers.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, Hope are the only ones I know of where it will work.

properbikeco
    Free Member

worth a try – you’ll find out pretty quick if it won’t work and then you’d have to get a new one anyway

ted34
    Free Member

Use a new one if you have some but if not try the old ones and pull the lever fairly hard after to see if its worked. Had a hope one fail once when I reused it

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I did it with a shimano one had to cut the cable out the inside very fiddly but it works

Northwind

I’m pretty sure the shimano olives are designed to be one-shot, they’re hard to get off the hose because they compress under pressure, just like a brake banjo crush washer. No doubt you can reuse them just like you can crush washers, but it’s probably not the best idea.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘can i use the old olives when shortening the hoses?’ is closed to new replies.