Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can I use normal tyres on Mavic Crossmax SLR's?
  • lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Having seen the price of UST tyres I was wondering if I can use regular tyres (say Panaracer XC Pro 2.1) with an inner tube on my Mavic Crossmax SLR?

Coleman
    Free Member

Yep. They’ll be fine. I’ve used normal tyres and tubes for years on mine. Just need to pump them up to about 60+ psi initially to seat on the rim – and wait for pop as they seat – then run at normal pressure.

jedi

wet the tyres with soapy water and they seat perfectly 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Thanks coleman, to be honest I was very surprised at the price of UST tyres (why are they so expensive?) and funds are tight just now plus I have a brand new set of regular tyres ready to fit.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    wet the tyres with soapy water and they seat perfectly

Are they very hard to get on then dry?

jedi

they tend not to sit properly. soapy water is easiest

nicko74

Yes, it’s very tight – by design so that UST tyres will stay on and not leak air.
    However, in my experience, Fire XC Pros are among the loosest tyres in terms of bead, so hopefully it shouldn’t be too tricky for you to get them on.

onandon
    Free Member

you must be mad to buy SLR’s and then fit tubes, totally pointless.

Any tyre will work on them – you don’t need UST.

njee20
    Free Member

Panaracers are usually a sloppy fit, I’d not bother with soapy water unless you need to.

True UST tyres are expensive, but Specialized and Bontrager tyres are tubeless ready, as are 2011 Schwalbes and some Contis – they have a UST bead, with a standard carcass. Lighter and generally cheaper than ‘proper’ UST – which I’d not bother with.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can I use normal tyres on Mavic Crossmax SLR's?’ is closed to new replies.