Can I trim 5mm off the top of the seat tube?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Can I trim 5mm off the top of the seat tube?
  • mk1fan

As subject really. Need to gain 5mm drop on the seat tube so that the Gravity Dropper will fit.

Any structural reason not to take a saw to my frame?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

carbon frame?

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

I'd only do it to something I wasn't bothered about, but in theory should be OK I'd have thought.

What is it?

PeterPoddy

I can't think of one, to be fair, although I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a seatpost personally.

Bye-bye warranty as well….

coffeeking

Depends how far you have to move the tube split down the remaining part ot get it to clamp up properly again.

Tim

as coffee king says – depends on the length of the seat tube collar, but should be ok really.

Obi_Twa

Explain why you would need to do this – explain it like i'm a 2yr old.

RealMan

I was wondering a bit too, but I'm guessing that…

…obviously the seatpost can only go down so far. Perhaps the guy is pretty short and has a frame too big or something, and can't get it low enough when its at its highest position for him to ride normally?

Obi_Twa

In that case, buy a saddle that has a smaller height to it.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Take a saw to it.

Join the ranks of the fearless frame mutilators….

Just remember when you cut the new slot to drill a round hole at the bottom – stops it cracking.

forge197

Surely MTFU and ride around the problem 😉

mandog

He's probably some sort of freak with the proportions of an Orangutan.

No reason not to do it though. How will you ensure a quality "from the factory" cut and finish?

mk1fan

They're too big to ride around 😉

Thanks for the replies. I've been out earning money for a change!!

I realise I should have given more details so here goes;

The frame is a 2006, medium Cove G-Spot. Aluminium frame. I ride a small of the other Coves. Small G-Spot frames for sale are hens teeth at the best of times – there were 4 on eGay last year. I bought it thinking it was a small (as advertised) but it wasn't.

Not really an issue, I thought, as I'm on the cusp of small/medium. My first Stiffee was a medium and it fitted ok. Built up the frame and it rides just fine – although standover is non-existant it is not an issue on the move.

However, the release pin for the GD stops the post sliding low enough into the frame.

I have a multi-drop GD 1-inch then 3-inch and I want to use the full 4-inch drop (fully up for climbing, 1-inch down for general downs, full drop for techy downs/jumping/dropping/dicking about) I don't want to ride in the 1-inch drop to compensate.

Warranty of the frame is not there so not an issue.

Hadn't thought of extending the tube slot. Thanks.

Obi_Twa, Beaut. Hadn't even thought of sticking on one of the Ti Fly saddles instead of my Bel Air. I'll try it first.

If it doesn't work I'm going to trim it.

mk1fan

your missus knows I'm a freak………

…….. it's really why she doesn't like me!!!!! :mrgreen:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can I trim 5mm off the top of the seat tube?’ is closed to new replies.