Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can I swap internally routed Hope Brakeset to new bike without needing new olive
  • ibnchris

Got a new frame and want to swap brakes from an old frame. Is there any way of doing it without having to get new olive etc?

pacman404
    Free Member

I replaced Hope E4 brake hoses recently, just re-used the original olives etc, and all fine.

footflaps

Normally yes, I swapped a Shimano calliper the other day and got away with re-using the original olive.

ta11pau1

Yeah you only normally need a new one if trimming the hose, be careful amd you might not even need to bleed it.

BearBack
    Free Member

With shimano, almost certainly not.
    There’s little chance the compression nut will go through all the ports, grommets etc so you’ll likely need to chop the olive/barb off to slide the compression nut off to be able to pull the hose through.
    I see hope have a split olive so maybe that can be removed without cutting the hose. I’d probably still choose to use a new one though.
    SRAM use a clever threaded olive’sert thingy which also doesn’t seem to distort and mechanically clamp to the hose on compression.

ta11pau1

Actually, yeah – the issue won’t be the olive, it’ll be the silver threaded compression nut as that will probably be too big to go through the frame ports.

You should have gotten a spare olive/barb with the brakes though.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Hope olives have a tiny split in them. With a bit of care it’s possible to prise them open and slide them off the end of the hose, then you can get the compression nut off.

pacman404
    Free Member

@ta11pau1
    I’m curious about why you say you’d normally need a new one after trimming the hose? I recently butchered an internally routed hope back brake hose whilst stripping my bike right back to the frame, re-used the olive etc with a short cut off piece of hose just to pop the inboard pistons out for a caliper service / seal replacement, then re-used it again after rebuilding the bike with new hose. Also re-used the olive etc after caliper service and hose replacement on the front brake. Both brakes bled okay and seem fine.

prian
    Free Member

Yes, I have reused hope olives a couple of times, they have a split down the side so once you have trimmed the hose you can get a small screwdriver in there and open it up a bit.

twonks

I always factor in the cost of new olives and inserts at least and some times new hoses when changing frames.

Not really worth the trouble faffing with them and throwing hydraulic fluid all over the inside of your nice new frame, and re-using olives is a bit iffy.

It can be done of course but, I’d rather be sure my brakes worked perfectly and got a good bleed and service when changing frames.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can I swap internally routed Hope Brakeset to new bike without needing new olive’ is closed to new replies.