Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can i swap hard drives
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

Win 7 motherboard died and i want to copy files off it. Can i put the HD into a Win 8 computer to grab the files. Both Hp laptops (both suck )

Thank you

jekkyl

Yes. Although a laptop may not have a spare sata or ide connector so consider buying an external caddy/dock.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Got lots of external hard drives, just need the files off the evil-stupid-Hp-lump-of-poop laptop.

Thank you Mr Jekkyl 🙂

Cletus

Wot Jekkyl said.

I bought a caddy from Amazon for less than a tenner that has USB3.0 support

[/url]

Far better option than trying to install as a main drive in another system

mrsfry
    Free Member

Oh that type of external 😳 Never knew these existed. So do i just take the hd out of the broken lapto and put it inside? what about the connection cables on the HD?

jekkyl

what about the connection cables on the HD?

if you mean the one you’ve taken out? don’t worry about them. HDs usually have 2 wires, one to provide power and the other to transfer data. The data is stored on the drive and the new caddy will supply both, just plug the drive into it.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thank you. I will order the one from the link. You chaps are awesome 8)

CraigW
    Free Member

If its just temporary, to copy the files off, then you can just a get a SATA to USB adapter. You don’t need a whole enclosure. It would be a bit cheaper and easier.

eg this sort of thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-Year-Warranty-VicTsing-Adapter-Driver/dp/B00GHJJPEK/

squirrelking
    Free Member

Might as well get the enclosure and have a “free” external drive for backups though 😉

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thanks Mr Craig but I have already orders the case off Amazon. Maybe if you spent more time thinking about my needs and wants and less time on your high class lifestyle, maybe you would have answered sooner.

Men!

😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can i swap hard drives’ is closed to new replies.