Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can I replace a 200 x 50 shock with a 200 x 57 one
  • diz

As above can anyone foresee any problems?

Both are fox the 200 x 50 an rp 3 and the 200 x 57 an rp 23!

Northwind

It’ll be shorter when bottomed out- do you have enough clearance for that? Or will it end up touching parts?

nuke

If you had a 140mm travel bike it will become nearer on 160mm travel…as NW says, parts might hit other bits like tyre on seattube

(Funnily enough as Hemlock owners Cotic actually say, and do the reverse of what you want to do, in the manual you fit a 200×50 instead of 200×57 and make the bike 132mm travel with the long rocker)

mafiafish
    Free Member

Depends on the frame. Some will take it, others won’t. Some bikes will have their geometry ruined by it too. Worth googling to see what other’s experiences have been with that frame.

diz

Thank you, I will have a look at the frame later.

LoCo
    Free Member

What frame is it?

bigyinn
    Free Member

It wont ruin the geometry of the frame as the eye to eye length is the same. But you may have issues with things coming into contact with each other at full compression, as the shock will be 7mm shorter.

gonzy
    Free Member

i changed my shock from a 185×50 to a 190×50 and it seems to be running fine…i do however run it with a little more sag to be on the safe side but it doesnt seem to be touching the frame anywhere and the geometry seems fine…but TBH i think the old shock was shorter than it should have been…and besides it was knackered so my guess is that it used to be a 190×50 in a previous life…
    it will depend on what frame it is going on but like all have said check that the new shock doesnt touch the frame on compression or extension and that it doesnt bugger the geometry…

clubber
    Free Member

What they all said – it might be fine but you really must check first.

Take the current shock out then compress the suspension so that the pivot to pivot distance where the shock would be is 143mm (200-57) plus a bit to play safe, particularly if it’s close at 143mm.

If nothing clashes then it should be ok.

clubber
    Free Member

i changed my shock from a 185×50 to a 190×50 and it seems to be running fine

Longer shocks rarely cause clashing issues – only handling ones – higher BB, steeper head angle.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I run a 200*57 instead of a 200*50 on a 2005 Giant Reign. Geometry has remained the same, just extra travel at the end of the stroke – 170mm now. Luckily on my frame size (16″ – I don’t know about others) there are no issues with contact.

gonzy
    Free Member

Longer shocks rarely cause clashing issues – only handling ones – higher BB, steeper head angle.

i expected this to be the case but the geometry seems the same which leads me to the conclusion that the original shock was 190×50 before it died

tall_martin

I’ve got a 2005 giant reign running 2000*57 instead of 200*50 too. Its fine except on my 21″ frame it will hit the front mech at full travel. I’ve got round this by not having it in the granny any where this is likely to happen.

Troutwrestler what shock do you run and have you tried a 190* 50?

khani
    Free Member

The eye to eye is the same so the static geometry will be the same, but depending what frame and leverage ratio it has the 7mm of extra stroke will give it between 14 and 21mm more travel so might cause clashing issues with the frame…
    You could get a stroke reducer spacer fitted to limit the stroke to 50mm by Loco or Mojo though..

bigyinn
    Free Member

tall_martin – Member

I’ve got a 2005 giant reign running 2000*57 instead of 200*50 too.
    That must make for an interesting ride!

honourablegeorge

As soneone clever said on here before – get a bit of wood/metal, drill two holes 143mm apart centre to centre, and fit it in place of the current shock. If linkage hits linkage or wheel hits frame, 200×57 is probably a bad idea.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can I replace a 200 x 50 shock with a 200 x 57 one’ is closed to new replies.