Can i put tapered forks on 1 1/8" heckler?

Home Forum Bike Forum Can i put tapered forks on 1 1/8" heckler?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Can i put tapered forks on 1 1/8" heckler?
  • bomberman

Hi,

I have a 2003/2004 Heckler and i’d like to slap some fox 34 floats or maybe even some 32 float 150’s, but they all seem to be tapered steerers. I’ve done a bit of research and Cane Creek make a bottom cup:

[/url]

would this solve the problem? Is it a good solution? My LBS seem to think not as it would add too much to the axle-to-crown length and slacken the head angle too much – their solution is to buy some different forks…from them.

Another thing they said might be possible would be to get Mojo to build me some forks but i can’t help thinking this is an expensive way to go.

Has anyone tried this headset solution or know how well it works? I’m not even sure my Heckler head tube has the right diameter for it?

dantsw13

Why not 150 revs with a 1 1/8 steerer? Far cheaper than Fox, probably £300 from merlin or CRC.

JCL

You could run it without a lower bearing but I wouldn’t recommend it.

bomberman

Because i’m a tart and i want them the same colour as they are now which is grey. But i’m taking all advice in.

cbmotorsport can you elaborate? Why can’t i use this cane creek product?

cbmotorsport

I agree with your lbs. The geometry would be ruined.

Get some revs and spray the lowers grey??

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

I can’t see it working without significantly changing the geometry.

Buy some RS Revs and get them or the frame re-sprayed with money you save 🙂

cynic-al

I don’t think that will work – 1 1/8″ does not have 44mm id.

I think there are products that will work, I hate bodges tho and wouldn’t go there.

I ran an 03 Heckler with 150mm forks, rode fine.

shifter

JCL – Member

You could run it without a lower bearing but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Brilliant!

OP – buy Revs. No-one cares if your collars and cuffs match.

I have “mahogany” Revs on my Helius and they don’t look quite as minging as you’d first imagine 😀

warpcow

Hecklers are brilliant with 160mm forks, but there’s absolutely no way to fit a tapered steerer to one of that vintage.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

cynic-al – Member 

………..I hate bodges tho and wouldn’t go there.

😯

bomberman

Hecklers are brilliant with 160mm forks

That’s ultimately what i’m after, but i want to keep it as light as possible so it still climbs as well. I did consider a 1 1/8″ Fox 36 but decided it’d just be a little bit on the lardy side. The new crop of tapered steerer Fox forks are pretty light for the amount of travel.

I don’t think that will work – 1 1/8″ does not have 44mm id.

I wondered about this but couldn’t find the geometry specs. So it definitely won’t fit then? Are there any other similar headsets on the market?

can’t see it working without significantly changing the geometry.

If i could get a headset to fit the solution (which looks like it might not even be possible), wouldn’t just running a bit more sag sort this out?

So complicated lol. Maybe i could get a float 160 and swap the crown/steerer assembly. Or maybe just live with the extra weight of a 1 1/8″ 36. Decisions decisions…

cynic-al

Bregante – “I hate paying for bodges” I should have said – glad to have a follower tho.

OP – I think there is a headset that will work, dunno who makes it tho. It’s bound to raise stack height…if so, why compromise the fork by running it softer? How much lighter is it?

bomberman

OK so let’s talk fork upgrade options.

The whole reason i want to upgrade from my 2009 Talas 140mm is that i ride in the Peaks and want to be able to bosh the bigger stuff. I just feel like i want a bit more plush, and i’d like to try a through axle, but i don’t want to add more weight. My fork weighs about 1900g

So 150mm Rev could be a good one.

LBS offered me a Rock Shox Sektor 150mm, not sure how much that weighs or how well it performs.

Do Fox make a 150/160mm Float/Talas with a 1 1/8″ steerer?

rob jackson

Buy my 2 ride old straight steerer lyriks

bomberman

Buy my 2 ride old straight steerer lyriks

How much do they weigh and how much do you want for them

rob jackson

360 cash, 2.1kg

bomberman

360 is more than i want to pay for a fork upgrade, are they solo air? also i wouldn’t pay cash because of the logistics involved, unless you live near me.

toppers3933

A standard 1 1/8 head tube has in id of 34mm. So that cane creek cup you like to won’t fit. To adapt it to fit May be possible and someone may make a product to do it but as said above your angles are all going to go crazy slack. Especially with a real long fork. Get the right fork for the frame. I think you’ll regret it if you don’t.

rob jackson

360 cash, 2.1kg

bomberman

A standard 1 1/8 head tube has in id of 34mm. So that cane creek cup you like to won’t fit. To adapt it to fit May be possible and someone may make a product to do it but as said above your angles are all going to go crazy slack. Especially with a real long fork. Get the right fork for the frame. I think you’ll regret it if you don’t.

Yep, you’re right. Problem is, which is the right fork? I love my heckler and wouldn’t be able to afford a new frame so it’s staying put for now, it’s still an awesome frame and has a nice wheelset and rides like a beast, i just want a little bit more “downhillability” without forcing it to show its age 🙂

chris36860

What you need is my 2011 Heckler frame that I have forsale to go with those nice Lyriks Rob has forsale!! I ran mine with 36 Talas and built it for the Alps. It came in at 33lb and still climbed well even with 1×10. Just got a bit fitter.

core

Good god man, just buy a fork with 1 1/8″ steerer!

Travel – to suit you!
    Weight – to suit you!
    Coil or air – to suit you!

It’s simple engineering, steerer tubes are designed to run on bearings, inside the headtube, a taper fork will not fit a straight 1 1/8″ headtube, unless you use some bodgy bearing/cup that would make the taper sit below the headtube, thus slackening angles and generally being cack.

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

If your heckler has a standard external 1 1/8 headset, like on Al’s mighty Marin up there there is no way to fit tapered forks.

toppers3933

Shorten the stem will make it a bit more aggressive on the descents but may reduce it’s climbing ability. I ran 150mm on my old heckler and it was ace. I also ran 140 on it and to be honest I couldn’t tell the difference. If I were you I’d get a 150mm rev. Great fork. Sektors are a good fork too. If you can get a 150mm with a 1 1/8 steerer and a bolt through axle they will be pretty good too. If a little more basic. Personally speaking, I wouldn’t fit a fox fork.

bomberman

so what’s the main difference between the rev and the sektor then?

b r

so what’s the main difference between the rev and the sektor then?

Revs are dearer and better.

Sektors are cheaper and no as good as Revs.

Just buy these:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/rockshox-suspension-forks/rockshox-revelation-rl-forks-2013.html

I’ve them on my 456Ti, they work great. Light, strong and well damped.

dan1980

Those forks have a 15mm axle, so make sure they fit your wheels before pulling the trigger.

nwill1

Get 36 Floats with 1 1/8, only a little over 2kg, weight is worth the stiffness.

bomberman

Just to let you know, this is what i’ve got already.

Is a 150mm Rev really going to make any difference?

cbmotorsport

Assuming they are QR forks on your bike – I think you’ll find a set of Revs with a Maxle will be a lot stiffer, and give you a more direct feel from the front.

Not sure if they’ll slacken the bike a bit compared to your Fox, but if they do it’ll improve matters going down.

The Revs posted in the link above are good. I have a set and they were great in the Alps riding singletrack.

dantsw13

Longer Travel Plush Fork
    Cheap
    Light.

All 3 will be problematic. I bought a set of 160 Marz 55 second hand for about £160. They are super plush, but not light!! (2.5kg)

Plenty of straight steerer Lyriks about, I’d go for them rather than trying to faff about. Its a solution that works very very well!

bomberman

They are QR forks yeah with Hope hubs so i could fit a maxle for on there. To be honest though, i don’t believe a maxle/15mm/20mm front axle makes much difference, not as much as the marketing people say it does anyway. At 11 stone i’m not a heavy rider and i’ve never experienced flex with the setup i have now. The main reason for wanting a fork upgrade is to have more big boulder squish, having moved to the Peak District. What i would really like to be able to do is this (fast forward to get to the good bit) without dabbing:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKOPkqVg44[/video]

bomberman

And before anyone says it’s not a footpath it’s a bridelway 🙄

adrec

I’ve got a set of x fusion velvets which I’ve been very impressed with. They’re only 130mm, but the big brother of the velvet is called something like the slant and it’s adjustable between 130-160mm. Lighter than foxes, cheaper and for whatever reason, xfusion seem to import far more straight than tapered steerer versions. And you can get them in white which will look good with the burgundy

deviant

150mm Revs are good forks….before DIRT went 650b/29er mad the Revs used to feature in the DIRT-100 every year, had a set of non travel adjust and they were decent, can be had for £300 now too….dont discount Sektors, they can be had with coil springs with whatever stiffness you want (i run a medium spring and for my 14st its fine), would maybe go to a firm spring if i started racing again….at £250 they are a bargain in this day and age.

Forget ideas of a tapered steerer, your head tube just doesnt have the internal diameter required…to fit one would require the taper sticking out the bottom of the head tube….one can only guess how awful it would look and how shocking it would ride.

150mm forks on a FS will have no problem ploughing through everything in that video.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

you don’t need new forks to help with the Peak district’s rocks, you need more practise.

new forks might make the difference between riding through a section at XX.2kph, and XX.5 kph, they won’t make the difference between dabbing and riding.

dantsw13

A 15mm maxle vs QR on a 150 fork makes a HUGE difference!!! The other thing worth looking at is some offset bushes to slacken the HA by about 1.5 degrees.

Lets be honest though, the problem is more likely to be you than the fork!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Can i put tapered forks on 1 1/8" heckler?’ is closed to new replies.