Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can i put a Chris King headset on my Dirty Disco??
  • bones76
    Free Member

I am having issues with my On One Dirty Disco and the FSA C-40 Headset it came fitted with.

Basically the headset becomes loose after riding for prolonged periods of time over lets say 3 peak type conditions of terrain.

The headset is a integrated headset that according to Planet X isn’t meant to be attached to the frame and just sits against the race on the top of the headtube, and is held in place by the steerer tube and pressure from the top cap when it is properly tightened up.

I know a little about bikes but not that much either when it comes to certain things, so in my concern when this first happened i got in touch with PX who gladly took the bike back for inspection and came up with the above reason for this happening and after a brief chat with one of there guys returned the bike assuring me that the top cap had been tightened to the above spec that this would not happen again.

Well guess what, after riding the bike yesterday(38 Mile off road) the headset is loose again! I have contacted PX again and as i write this am waiting on a return phone call but have decided just to replace with if possible a Chris king headset and hope that this cures the problem.

So back to the title of my post and with my small but frustrating rant coming to an end, could anyone please advise which Chris King headset would best suit the bike i am hoping to use for the up and coming cross season/3 peaks races ahead??? 🙂

c_klein87

no you can’t

check the carbon plug isn’t pulling out of the fork steerer, happened on my team alu which made the headset loose, the planet x fork bungs are fairly sh#te

igm

If that’s the mechanism by which it loosens then your stem is moving too.

That said these days almost all headsets are preloaded by the top cap and held in place by the stem, much as you described.
    The cups that go into the frame just slot in (ok press in) and hold the bearings – but the bearings just drop in. The cups are part of the frame on the one you’ve got by the sound of it.

Hope do one for both integrated and integral I think.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pjt201
    Free Member

it’ll be your stem slipping. has it got a carbon steerer tube? if so i’d stick some carbon assembly paste on it before doing the stem up.

c_klein87 – Member
    no you can’t

check the carbon plug isn’t pulling out of the fork steerer, happened on my team alu which made the headset loose, the planet x fork bungs are fairly sh#te

if your fork bung is holding your stem on you’re doing it wrong. again, it’s probably slipping because the stem is slipping on the steerer which will then rely on the bung to hold it all together which will definitely slip as it’s only meant for preloading the bearings not holding everything together.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Check the gap between the top of your stem (or spacers above the stem if any) and the top of your steerer. If the gap is small, and the steerer at all uneven, you can sometimes tighten up onto a high spot, but then play is introduced as you ride.

Solution is to make sure there’s enough of a gap, possibly by adding another very thin spacer

MrOvershoot

Just a quick question?
    My DD headset seems fine but have I done something silly by using a standard SFN (installed with the proper tool mind) not a bung?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

^ if carbon steerer tube, then yes, you’ve damaged the steerer.

if alloy, then no problem.

bones76
    Free Member

Thanks for all the reply’s and advice i will have a look at the bike tomorrow and see if this problem can be sorted as it really is a concern with the peaks only a few weeks away.

pjt201 am sure it has a carbon steerer will double check tomorrow but perhaps what you suggest may be the answer.

I will also have a look at Hope integrated headsets and see if they will be any good.

MrOvershoot did you check your steerer to see if it’s carbon or not? and what type of riding are you doing out if interest? am interested as why i’m having problems and your not…

Once again thanks for the feedback

bones76
    Free Member

Oh and am still waiting for Planet X to call me back??!!

bones76
    Free Member

Well it turns out it was the bung in the steerer which has been the problem and hopefully now that is the problem sorted once and for all.

Thanks to everyone for there help and opinions and thanks to a guy called Wayne from Planet X who finally rang me back and helped sort this problem…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can i put a Chris King headset on my Dirty Disco??’ is closed to new replies.