Can I give my dog anti histamines…?

Home Forum Chat Forum Can I give my dog anti histamines…?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can I give my dog anti histamines…?
  • z1ppy

I’d suggest you check his eye for a seed, pollen grain or such like, & take him to the vet for proper advise, rather than give him that. Your ownership responsibilities don’t end when he gets ill, put your hand in your pocket & deal with it properly (which no doubt you know)

hugor

Agree with above.
    Your dog is in discomfort and you want to mess around asking people around here for veterinary advice!
    Antihistamines can be lethal in the wrong doses.

Premier Icon langylad
    Subscriber

Z1ppy, had a good look at the eye and the swelling is just above (where the eyebrow would be), no sign of anything in his eye and his eyeball is normal. It is looking better and opening up so expecting it to be ok later. I was just wondering whether anti histamines were prescribed by vets, as other ‘human’ prescriptions such as glucosamine are. Not trying to kill my dog or save a few quid as was helpfully suggested by Fuqor

Premier Icon porter_jamie
    Subscriber

i have been giving my lab (human ones from boots) anti histamines for about 12 months, on the advice of my vet. you have to use a specific type, so i would go and see your vet for proper advice first!

hugor

helpfully suggested by Fuqor

You exude greater intelligence with every post! 😀

Premier Icon langylad
    Subscriber

Ben the big daft lab came back from his run in the field yesterday and one of his eyes has swollen up. He keeps trying to scratch it and shaking his ears, i’m presuming he has had an insect bite or rubbed his face somewhere he shouldn’t have. On the plus side it has calmed him down a bit, but he does seem in obvious discomfort. Is there any merit in giving him a piriteze tablet or might it do more harm than good?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Can I give my dog anti histamines…?’ is closed to new replies.