Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can I get my bike mojo back?
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve not been on the mtb for months and have been concentrating on road riding. For the last 3/4 months, I have been putting in a lot of time to train for the Fred Whitton. But recently, after a few bads rides (where I felt like I was losing power on the climbs/not improving) and some other stuff, I’ve totally lost my bike mojo and it has become a chore. Even my training in the gym which I’ve always loved has also become a chore.

I’ve tried riding different routes, tried riding on my own, and riding with a road club, but none of that is really helping. Its not good because I’m fitter than I’ve ever been, but just can’t enjoy it.

So my question is, can I get my mojo back and still train* at the same time if I’m hating it? I keep hoping that one good session in nice weather will fix it, but with 2 weeks to the Fred, I’m really not sure I want to carry on or take part in the Fred. But then I think I will be disappointed if I don’t do it!

(*with the fred being so close, I’m pretty much at the tapering stage but still need to do a few rides to keep my legs turning)

And yes, i do realise this is my fault for only road riding and not mtb’ing 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Get the Fred out of your system, then get back to some proper bike riding – for fun. 😉

uplink
    Free Member

it’s only 2 weeks away

I’d stop all the road stuff & go play on a MTB – I wouldn’t have thought you’ll lose much fitness [if any]

GW
    Free Member

just take a complete break from (road)riding this week!

go pop a few wheelies n skids on your MTB if you fancy it but don’t worry about fitness, sounds like you’ve done more than enough already

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Try doing something that really petrifies you. The shock and subsequent adrenaline rush may remind you of how much fun it can be.

We never feel more alive than when we are close to death!

If that doesn’t work try some choclate and a chick-flick.

sofatester
    Free Member

Stretch, rest and play.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get the Fred out of your system, then get back to some proper bike riding – for fun.

That sounds about right. You’ve been riding and training because you HAVE TO not because you WANT TO and so its become a dull chore.

Have a break, then go riding just for fun!

druidh
    Free Member

I somehow doubt your fitness has dropped to a level where you won’t complete/enjoy the FW, so you have to ask yourself if it’s enough to meet whatever target you’d set yourself, and was that target to be obtained at the expense of ruining your cycling fun.

Get one of those bikes built up and away for a spin up the Pentlands or something. Seriously. I couldn’t do the “road training” bit without breaking it up with some MTB riding.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about going out on the mtb or doing something different, but don’t want to injure myself/fall off so close to the fred, so not sure it’s a good idea – I’m bound to be mince after all this time on the road! And to be honest, the thought of any form of exercise is a bit much at the moment…

I’ve already decided I’m not doing the Fred to a target time anymore to take some of the “pressure” off, but its still not helping. I was planning on having time off after the fred and riding if/when i want not, not because i have to, but really not sure i can get through the next two weeks.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m bound to be mince after all this time on the road!

I’ve spent months off the bike & never really noticed any skills drain – although I could be starting from such a low level that it’s immeasurable 😉

but don’t want to injure myself/fall off so close to the fred

If that happens – it happens, you can’t go putting your life on hold for just one day in May

oldgit
    Free Member

I get like that if I focus on an event, thee thing is and I don’t mean to belittle the FW but you could probably go and have a cracking 112 mile ride on your own anytime you want. That constant nagging in your mind about everything being bob on for that one day can be too much, it is for me.
    Now I’ll look at the sun and blue sky and think righto I’m doing a big one. Or if the weekend looks good and my mates ain’t doing anything I might suggest how about doing our own 12 hour?
    It’s a tough one though. I do need something to focus on but after years of feeling bad on the day of a 24 solo I’ve gone back to Road racing and short xc races.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Give it a break for a bit then go out and mince around on your MTB

sharki
    Free Member

Where was your first mtb experience? the one that got you hooked for it all went wrong?

Go there….re live the excitment, go ride a trail you know you always loved…ride it too havefun and not as a training ride, prat about and WOOP and be happy, enjoy the sun and the freedom and ride because you love to and not to just ride.

And Take Chris to slow you down to a fun mincey pace 😉

Be free, be wild, go off road and giggle lots..

And do it NOW!

Enjoy x

MrAgreeable

I’d suggest taking a day off cycling and going shopping instead, preferably at Ikea, B&Q or some other large out-of-town development… you should find your enthusiasm for riding comes back pretty quickly. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about going out on the mtb or doing something different, but don’t want to injure myself/fall off so close to the fred, so not sure it’s a good idea – I’m bound to be mince after all this time on the road! And to be honest, the thought of any form of exercise is a bit much at the moment…

I’ve already decided I’m not doing the Fred to a target time anymore to take some of the “pressure” off, but its still not helping. I was planning on having time off after the fred and riding if/when i want not, not because i have to, but really not sure i can get through the next two weeks.

OMG!! What a drama queen!! take a step back and read that from a normal person’s perspective.. you’ve been riding a bike A LOT.. chill TF out. it’s not even a race you’re stressing out about.. it’s a charity ride.. you should be doing it for the charity.

sofatester
    Free Member

Go and buy some handbags and shoes.

mikey74
    Free Member

Sounds like your best bet is to take a break from all exercise for a few days, maybe even a week, and then head out on the mtb for some fun, rather than serious training.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can I get my bike mojo back?’ is closed to new replies.