Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can I do this?
  • philfive
    Free Member

I want to fit a new set of forks on my rocky mountain altitude but was wondering if I can fit a 160 mm fork instead of the 140mm it comes with.

The angles are 68.5*HA and 76*SA.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

rickon
    Free Member

What does the warranty say?

You can do it, but if RM say it’s out of warranty if you do, then it’s probably a bad idea.

ridewiththelocals
    Free Member

Angles will be slacker, and when compressed you would be over the front end a bit more, but I think it will still ride ok.

For the warranty thing I would check with RM before changing. Some brands do refuse warranty when you change the forks for something bigger.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I like “over-forking” frames.
    I did once check on warranty, when I put some 130mm Marzocchis on a 100mm Thorn Raven Enduro.

Andy at Thorn initially said no, but then went to explain that was down to a worry that if you’re fitting long forks, you’re more likely to be riding “DH” and hannering the frame. Once I explained I was using it for normal “trail” riding, but with a bit more bounce, apart from ahndling worries, he was fine with it.

Ran the same 130mm forks on an old (100mm) Heckler, now running 150mm Thors on a (140mm) Voodoo D-Jab

ultimatly, you’ll geta slacker head angle, which makes climbing tricky, (unless they’re height adjustable to get it back down) but it;ll make the downs more fun. It will also raise the BB which has advantages and disadvantages.

philfive
    Free Member

well it’s 2 years old so the warranty is spent anyways. i have asked ritchie at silverfish and he said no, but i’m unsure if it was just because of warrenty issues or if i would actually die.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I guess it depends what kind of riding you’re doing.
    If you’d class yourself as the kind of person who absolutely hammers things, then probably not.
    But if you’re just riding around, I’m sure it’ll be fine. And if you do break the frame, its a good excuse for a new one 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Can I do this?’ is closed to new replies.