Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can flats be too grippy?
  • geoffj

Moving from spds to flats and I’m struggling with foot position. I’ve got a pair of v12s which are solid enough, but i’m losing confidence, because i’m struggling to get my feet in the correct position.
    If they don’t feel correctly placed, I’m struggling to reposition them because my shoe / pedal combo is almost too grippy.

Yes, I realise its a little bit like walking and chewing gum at the same time, but for those of us that are motorskill challenged, is going back to spds the only answer?

😕

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, just practice,

And V12’s are rubish, wait till you get something really grippy like burgtechs + 5.10s, so grippy you could brobably break a leg before loseing grip!

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Been on a combo of flats and SPDs on different bikes for the last few months.
    It did take a while to get used to the foot position with flats but I was loosing grip due to poor technique.
    Found the ideal position is much further forward with flats compared to spds.
    Tbh find it weird riding in spds now so might go fully flat on all bikes

GSuperstar
    Free Member

DMR Vaults and 5.10s, I actually feel I’m clipped in!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Can flats be too grippy?

for me yes, i once fitted the extra long pins to my dmr pedals.

matched with 5:10’s the grip was just daft, much more than necessary – and at times it was just a pain in the bum.

seanodav
    Free Member

^^^ ahwiles +1 if they are to grippy its hard to repostion foot, especially heading downhill on rocky rough stuff.
    with spds your foot is always locked in correct place, not much fun being locked with wrong foot postion.

Northwind

I took some pins out of my MG1s, to give me a bit more movement. No downside as far as I’m concerned, any decent shoe and pedal provides more grip than you need IMO and sometimes the extra is inconvenient.

geoffj

Thanks for the responses guys – glad I’m not the only one with this issue.
    Taking a couple of pins out is a good idea – I’ll try that.
    The combo of riding bigger stuff than I have before + flats is taking a bit of getting used to. But fun!

mboy
    Free Member

Yes/no/maybe

It’s all personal preference

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can flats be too grippy?’ is closed to new replies.