Search the forum using the power of Google

• This topic has 54 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by 5lab.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Can anything out-Berlingo a Berlingo?
  • johnx2
    Free Member

The current / third generation Berlingo is pretty good. A better drive than the second gen ones (nearly as nice as the 1st gen ones)

I still get laughed at for having contributed unwisely to a “cars” conversation, contrasting the driving funness of the bacofoil 1st gen with the relative thirstiness of the more s(t)olid 2nd. Must learn to read the room, but clearly here are my peoples. I very much miss having a berlingo, and the ability to impulse buy the odd sofa.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The other parents mocked ours cause it’s ugly. Meanwhile on wet days when we land back at the car and we have the child and the pram* (in the car whole with no folding) before they have finished folding and dismantling their pram to get it in the boot they see why we have it…..

But can get into multistorys and don’t really have to worry much about rust….no brainer. Don’t give a shit what it looks like – it might as well be a washing machine to me.

*Or trailer or bike or any other large object.

jamesoz

I wonder if I could take it to a car audio place and they could dynamat it enough that it felt like being in a normal car?

Probably. I used some NOCO (Dynamat type stuff) in the back of my car to help with noise. It used to sound like a window was open. Much better now, the original soundproofing was ruined by damp.

Currently on the back doors of the work L2 Connect, I have some magnetic hi Viz stripe things and just those fitted make the rear doors thunk rather than clang when shutting.

Just adding some mass to the big flat panels makes a huge difference.

Kamakazie

I’d second something like a Honda Stepwagon or Nissan Serena.
    The Stepwagon from 2010 (ISH) onwards has rear seats that fold flat into the boot so it can take a huge amount of stuff.

Last weekend I got 2 bikes (front wheels off), a bouldering matt, 4 people and all their gear in, and the kit was barely above the top of the rear seats.

Nice place to be as well, and drives more like a car. CVT gearbox isn’t for everyone though.

maccruiskeen

wife doesn’t want to be seen dead in it.
    How do I convince her?

Tinted windows

ElShalimo
    Free Member

Wouldn’t that make it her hearse?

mjsmke

So, the plan for a cheap Berlingo/Partner is now more like a plan for a LWB Connect/Caddy.

I got a double mattress in my 2019 Standard length Berlingo 5 seater. Might not fit if you’re tall and need to front seats all the way back though.

willard

Yeah, 1.97m tall here, so that may not work out, which is a shame as I wanted a relatively compact van. The longer ones are almost at the stage of just accepting life and buying another T5/Vivaro/etc.

a11y

The longer ones are almost at the stage of just accepting life and buying another T5/Vivaro/etc.

I was surprised to find just how big a footprint the XL Berlingo’s have. Compared to L1/SWB Transit Custom: only 22cm shorter, 16cm narrower and 14cm less tall. Knowing that made me realise the Transit Custom I have is still relatively compact.

Berlingo XL is still smaller than the mid/big SUVs like BMW X5s though.

ta11pau1

And still shorter than a proper sized estate! My Superb is 4850mm. A full 8 seater MWB van MPV (Traveller) is only 4950mm.

a11y

And still shorter than a proper sized estate! My Superb is 4850mm

I didn’t expect that! That’s long indeed. 5339mm for my L2 Transit Custom. Unsure how long a standard car park space is, but shorter than a L2 Transit Custom…

Mrs a11y is showing interest in a Berlingo to replace her Qashqai (I married a good ‘un) but we don’t need two MPV-vans between us.

willard

Get an EV version?

ta11pau1

The EV Berlingo has a woeful range unless you’re doing local miles, realistically it’s got around 120 miles range at 60-70mph.

A small battery (45kwh usable) combined with the aerodynamics of a brick.

beefy

Dunno if anyone has mentioned, but I have a Mercedes Citan crewcab XLWB and it’s mint. Split folding rear seats which fold completely flat.

Fit 3 people and 3 fully built up 29ers with kit no problem. Works as a one person camper. Can fit loads of bikes in without wheels on when seats are up too.

Not to pricey too.

5lab

the citan is (afaik) a rebadged kangoo. doesn’t look like the kangoo is anything other than a van in the UK though

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.