Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Can anything out-Berlingo a Berlingo?
  • Ambrose

I have a tired 14 plate Berlingo XTR that I’m moving on. (Not a stealth ad, I’m PXing). New vehicle must be smaller than a Transit/ VW camper/ Vivaro/ Vito. Is there anything out there better than a Berlingo?

Requirements are internal combustion engine, no rear sill/ lip into the boot, flat loadspace, removable rear seats, air-con and whilst not a deal breaker, SatNav.

My current Berlingo fits two fully built eBikes, two people and two dogs. Alternatively, with front wheels removed from the bikes it will fit two people and camping kit.

So, can anything out-Berlingo a Berlingo?

TIA, Ambrose

DickBarton

Was about to post the same…but a Puggy Partner Outdoor…I think I’m going to look for a newer one, but they aren’t cheap these days.

daveylad
    Free Member

Nissan nv200.

convert

Oh, idly been contemplating similar – only probably a van equivalent.

My perfect vehicle would be a small van that could swallow whole bikes or bucket loads of outdoor kit, long enough to sleep in on occasion (thermarest/sleeping bag style, maybe on a mini platform). The kicker – really want a heated front screen and would love 4wd. And fuel efficient enough to do a regular 25mile each way commute.

tjagain

Skoda Roomster?

Tracey

Tourneo Connect. Daughter has had one since 2016 and ticks all the boxes

northernmatt

I went from a Berlingo to a Dacia Jogger but it has a boot lip and the floor isn’t entirely flat. Also, the middle row of seats isn’t removable.

I think the only new option left is the Ford Tourneo Connect if you want something the same. That or a late model Berlingo with the 1.2 petrol or 1.6 diesel engine.

sing1etrack

IMO no, there’s nothing out there that beats the latest version in LWB flavour as an all round package of practicality, size, quality, purchase cost and running cost. I think it beats it’s stellantis stablemates in looks too, its a bit more funky/quirky than the pug/vauxhall/Toyota equivalents.

RustyNissanPrairie

I have a tired 14 plate

My 19 year old example is still going strong. Being based on a commercial vehicle they are cheap and easy to work on. Rebuild/refresh it?

petrieboy

Is the smaller than a T6 a bulk constraint or footprint? Caddy maxi life looks like it gives you most of the interior length of a transporter without the overall bulk. Can’t imagine it’ll get into a parking space a transporter wouldn’t tho

tthew

Convert, you want a Transit Connect L2.

Heated windscreen ☑️

Efficient ☑️  50mpg on a run no bother.

Sleeping length ☑️ about 2m long in the back even with the bulkhead.

Bucket loads of kit ☑️ got the whole kit to run a decent size cyclo-cross in it once.

No 4×4, but I don’t think anything has had that as an option for ages. Kangoo and transporter only IIRC.

rickmeister

Caddy Maxi Life or Maxi Comfort. The one I have does what you need and it can be had here (Germany) with Haldex 4wd.

Seats out and flat floor and fully lined is good for sleeping. T6 SWB length so full bikes, wheels on, go in. Think of it as a tall Passat type footprint.

chrisdw
    Free Member

My 19 year old example is still going strong.

I miss my 2003 one. Timing belt went and it went to the scrappy. It was a quirky thing, but really liked it. I’ve got some Amdro window shades in the garage somewhere going cheap if anyone needs them! #notsostealthad

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Being based on a commercial vehicle they are cheap and easy to work on.

Mine was scrapped for in its delightfully quirky french way, fixing the clutch pedal was going to be an engine out job.

Some jobs are easy, some jobs just aren’t even possible on a RHD car (anything arround the brake master cylinder/servo/clutch pedal area).

Olly
    Free Member

Had a Doblo at work and it was excellent.

New one had got a grrr face too, if you like that sort of thing.

simon_g

The new Doblo is the same Stellantis small van as Berlingo, Rifter, Combo, Proace City, etc. If you’re looking at new, there’s rumours of petrol hybrids returning to the passenger ranges this year.

I like the japanese import stuff – but auto, petrol (thus ULEZ compliance) was high on our list. Our Honda Stepwgn is as narrow as a Jazz but long enough to sleep in or take bikes. The rearmost seats that flip up can just be unbolted easily and removed for more space, they’ve been living under our stairs for ages.

Where the Berlingo does better is a wider space between the rear arches, and flat sides to the boot. Something like the Amdro boot jump wouldn’t fit in my car, so I’m making my own around the arch intrusion.

How practical is a Stepwagon?

avdave2

My doblo was the best car I’ve owned and I’d be surprised if I ever own anything I like as much again. It got written off when someone drove into me, I’d of replaced it with another but the only petrol ones I could find were wheelchair adapted. I didn’t want to buy another diesel car given I don’t do many long drives.

maccruiskeen

The current / third generation Berlingo is pretty good. A better drive than the second gen ones (nearly as nice as the 1st gen ones) Its only real foible is the engine being small and pretty effiecient mean variations in engine load really effect the output of the cabin heating and you’re constantly having to adjust it up and down in winter – a sort of menopause simulator

The Kangoo is far less popular than the blingo (in the UK at least) but it and the merc badged version are pretty good, def better than the second gen blingo. IIf you’re buying used the merc version tends to have some better equipment that isnt reflected  in the price and can be better value.

Even though we’ve got a caddy and theres a lot to like about  I wouldn’t recommend one – not that great to drive compared to other comparable vans –  and some expensive faults – ridiculously priced sensors – the engine almost lunching itself when the cambelt jumped. All on a young, well maintained, low milage vehicle. We paid a premium for the VW badge but we’re paying more, more often for the VW engine. We’ll likely keep it a long time but wouldn’t buy another one. I’ve got more faith in the 15 year old blingo.

maccruiskeen

Had a Doblo at work and it was excellent.

New one had got a grrr face too, if you like that sort of thing.

the new one is a Berlingo – all the vans that size from Peugeot, Citron, Vauxhall, Fiat and Toyota are the same van- doesnt share any DNA with the previous fiat.

If you’re buying new… Stelianits (who makes them all) stopped marketing petrol / diesel version of the car variants at the start of last year and internal combustion engines are only available in the van variants.

maccruiskeen

The kicker – really want a heated front screen and would love 4wd

the “Grip” spec Peugeot partners isnt 4×4 but is their off-road variant with a bit more ride height, underbody protection and and clever traction stuff for mud, sand, snow and descents. Its not a Landrover but it’ll get you around on soft or slippery surfaced. The French have a pretty good attitude to off-road capabilities for cars focussing on real world application rather than just driving all the wheels.

convert

Caddy Maxi Life or Maxi Comfort. The one I have does what you need and it can be had here (Germany) with Haldex 4wd.

the “Grip” spec Peugeot partners isnt 4×4 but is their off-road variant with a bit more ride height, underbody protection and and clever traction stuff for mud, sand, snow and descents. Its not a Landrover but it’ll get you around on soft or slippery surfaced. The French have a pretty good attitude to off-road capabilities for cars focussing on real world application rather than just driving all the wheels.

Convert, you want a Transit Connect L2.

Heated windscreen ☑️

Efficient ☑️ 50mpg on a run no bother.

Sleeping length ☑️ about 2m long in the back even with the bulkhead.

Bucket loads of kit ☑️ got the whole kit to run a decent size cyclo-cross in it once.

No 4×4, but I don’t think anything has had that as an option for ages. Kangoo and transporter only IIRC.

Thanks all. I’ll get looking. The 4X4 wish is maybe wishful thinking but it’s mainly because our 4×4 yeti with winter tyres has comfortably got around where a FWD golf with the same winter tyres has struggled. This is rural northern highlands with a good dollop of unploughed or gritted roads to contend with. Obviously you’d be daft to take on stuff a landy/pickup/tractor could go – but just making it in on the morning commute on all bar the grimmest of days is the goal. That grip spec Peugeot might be what’s needed.

hainman
    Free Member

Had my Kangoo maxi for 6 years and been faultless
    Has taken 4 bikes to Fort Bill
    Bike park wales and countless other road trips
    No pissing about taking wheels off or anything
    Just a turn of the bars if going 3 or more bikes

RustyNissanPrairie

You can get 4×4 Berlingo/Partner – French company Dangel do a conversion (factory fit only). The Post office have some in the fleet and Foresty Comission(?) Scotland had one that I was having a nosey under.
    They turn up used very occasionally.

https://www.dangel.com/sites/www.dangel.fr/files/Leaflet_Berlingo%204×4%202020_02.pdf

maccruiskeen

This is rural northern highlands with a good dollop of unploughed or gritted roads to contend with. Obviously you’d be daft to take on stuff a landy/pickup/tractor could go – but just making it in on the morning commute on all bar the grimmest of days is the goal. That grip spec Peugeot might be what’s needed.

You’ll prob see you local postie driving second generation Berlingo ‘Trek’ models which have more ride height (but the engine has been lowered correspondingly to help with handling) and a limited slip diff. I think they’re also a Dangel product but again aren’t 4×4

sl2000

Has anyone made a car as good as a multipla? A car with three front seats was perfect for biking.

maccruiskeen

A car with three front seats

the honda f-rv had the same configuration

rickmeister

It uses fuel but is a godsend in winter, if you can find one with a Webasto / Erbespacher

cokie

We need a new car. Wifes health means we need an auto and we have the same criteria as the OP.
    Currently we have a new-ish Quashqai but I’m trying my upmost to push her towards something more practical.
    The Berlingo & Stellantis brothers are perfect, but wife doesn’t want to be seen dead in it.
    How do I convince her? Are there less fugly practical cars? Probably 2018+..

snotrag

Are there less fugly practical cars?

The new shape Tourneo/Caddy (same car different badge) is miles better smarter looking than the older versions and less obviously van-like. Supposedly good to drive, but I wouldnt know as Ford wouldnt let me drive one….

RustyNissanPrairie

How do I convince her? Are there less fugly practical cars? Probably 2018+..

the Citroen versions are the most brash appearance wise – the Peugeot & Toyota are less so. Ultimately though they are based on a van so there is no getting away from that but they are useful practical things.

cokie

This is why I want a Berlingo! Would suit our life style so much better.
    The Qashqai is hopeless in that regard. Big outside & small inside, small and not very useful boot.
    Seats don’t fold flat. 35mpg long term average. It’s actually easier getting a bike in the Polo and UP! than the Qashqai. Wife loves how it looks though and it has all the toys.

cokie

Quite like that, but it’s silly money for a pretty compromised drivetrain.

willard

Have been trying to explain my desire/intention for a Berlingo-esq vehicle to my GF. She’s fine with the idea, but has stipulated that _IF_ we get another vehicle, it needs to have a load area big enough to fit a double mattress. So, the plan for a cheap Berlingo/Partner is now more like a plan for a LWB Connect/Caddy.

I would love another T5, but really don’t need _that_ much van.

DickBarton

The ultimate Berlingo?

That link you shared most certainly isn’t…it looks far too fancy, expensive and ‘badged’…it will carry stuff but in such an awkward way so none of the inside gets marked that it will become impractical. Overpriced thing…I’m sure it would be great to own, but the costs and caring about how it looks isn’t making it the same kind of vehicle as the ultimate Berlingo.

RustyNissanPrairie

The ultimate Berlingo?

https://www.topgear.com/long-term-car-reviews/volkswagen/multivan/report-1

£665pcm!!!!! 3.75months of that would have paid for my Partner/Blingno outright although I accept I’m at the far opposite end of the buying spectrum.

Anyway the Dangel/Rifter 4×4 Overlander concept from a few years ago is the ultimate Berlingo.

damitamit
    Free Member

Having had a gen 2 berlingo for 1.5 years now, I think my ultimate berlingo would be this same one but with less road/cabin noise. We love it for bike/outdoor related activities, plus DIY! Should’ve bought one years ago.

I wonder if I could take it to a car audio place and they could dynamat it enough that it felt like being in a normal car?

jedi

I’m on my 2nd belingo van. Asked about the long wheelbase version this year and they want 26 grand…… mental

honourablegeorge

cokie

Quite like that, but it’s silly money for a pretty compromised drivetrain.

Yeah, pricing is mental.

ta11pau1

Asked about the long wheelbase version this year and they want 26 grand…… mental

That’s a bargain compared to something like a tourneo custom or vito!

I’m still thinking about changing my Superb for something that can take a bike inside, upright. Considered the roof tent route but even with both wheels off I can’t get my bike in upright in my current car, and laying them down is an almighty faff with 2 weeks worth of kit and a 2nd bike.

Currently being tempted by a Peugeot Traveller/Proace Verso/Spacetourer, loadsa room to sleep alongside a bike or 2 for one person, decent spec (rubbish adaptive cruise but I’d cope…), and about £25k for a 2017/2018 model with reasonable miles.

The new Berlingo/Rifter etc in XL are a bit cheaper but much more basic.

Depending on this year’s bonus/payrise I might have to have a look/test drive.

It annoys me having my car sat on the drive not doing anything for a week or 2 at a time, a van would let me go on short overnight trips or even just sling the bikes in the boot and go for a ride without the extra faff of putting them on a boot rack and/or worrying about security overnight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.