Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Can anything good come from buying a frame/bike you haven't test ridden?
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Never test ridden a bike EVER. Nobody has demo bikes for 6’5″ people. 🙁
    Just go by reviews etc that are in mags and internet.
    My dimensions seem to fit most normal bikes. Not into nicheness so off the peg suits me fine.

fasthaggis

Same as him ^^

I found it was better to find out the right size ,and the rest was only ever tweaking bits and bobs .

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I read all the reviews and made up my minds on new bike(s). Then demo-ed them both and really hated them! Demo-ed more and found what suits me (surely this is the point as very few bad bikes these days), so convinced that this is the way forward!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

As above, at 6’4″ you struggle to get a bike to sit on in the shop let alone a test ride. My last few bikes have all been based in estimated guess work on the sizing and all have worked out OK. The road bike has needed some stem and seatpost based tweaking but now fits fine so I can’t complain.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Never have done a test ride, just do your homework. I mean how wrong can you get it, it’s only a couple of triangles welded together (maybe with some bouncy bits too)

AD

Never test rode a bike either – in fairness the first mountain bike I ever bought (a 20″ Diamond Back Topanga back in 92) was probably a bit big but it rode ok at the time… I just do a bit of research on geometry/reach and go from there.
    For interest the list is:
    19″ Kona Cindercone
    L Bontrager Race
    M/L Tomac Revolver
    L Turner Flux
    55 Ellsworth Flight
    56 Kona Paddy Wagon
    All of them have been set up to have about the same reach etc by tweaking the saddle position/stem length

Coyote
    Free Member

Never test ridden a bike. Sat on my first one in the shop (Dawes Tamarak) but apart from that, no.

Only problem was with my Dialled Alpine. I was border line between the two MK I sizes and plumped for the 15.5″. Really wish I’d gone for the 17″.

Northwind

I’m really liking my Camber now, but tbh if I’d testridden one, I’d not have bought it- it took a few rides and some setup changes to get it to work at all for me, the first ride felt horrendous.

titusrider
    Free Member

Two specializeds without testrides
    One ace and one a bit flexy and too light (not sure id have realised on a test ride though)

Titus got a car park demo but I knew the sus action would be v similar to the speCialized it replaced.

Ibis demo bike wasn’t around locally so demoed a dw turner and decided I loved the sus and it was too heavy so the ibis was (and is) perfect.

Cotic simple bought on rep and a chat with cy 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Can anything good come from buying a frame/bike you haven't test ridden?’ is closed to new replies.