Can anyone shed any light on this Chinese roadie frame.?

Home Forum Bike Forum Can anyone shed any light on this Chinese roadie frame.?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Can anyone shed any light on this Chinese roadie frame.?
  • Conan257

Can’t see the pic at work, but the ID sounds like it’s from:

http://xmiplay.com/

damitamit

Looks like a cross between a FM-028, a FM-066 and something else.

Is this frame based on an existing frame from one of the big boys or is it an original Chinese job.? It is labeled FR-322.

Anyone on the day shift in the know.?

Shibboleth

Is this frame based on an existing frame from one of the big boys

Nope

is it an original Chinese job.?

Yup

HTH

grum

Isn’t it a Cervelo R5 clone? Not identical but looks pretty similar to my untrained eye.

Shibboleth

No, nothing like the R5…

The company that sells them do a couple of Venge tributes and a Chinarello Dogma, but it’s not like an R5 at all – R5 has none of that fussiness on the headtube or seat junctions and box-shaped chain stays.

Definitely not the R5 up front.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Very similar design to an older Madone, hourglass head tube and everything. Not the same though – they were US made except the cheapest ones which came from Taiwan.

I wouldn’t buy into the idea that any of them are actually the same as any of the big brands. I’d definitely have one though.

Shibboleth

I wouldn’t buy into the idea that any of them are actually the same as any of the big brands.

This. The amount of people I hear bragging about their unbranded Specialized Venge/Pinarello Dogma/Cervelo R5 that snook out of the same factory just before the paint shop and cost a 10th of the price amazes me.

They’re perfectly alright frames, you can probably buy that one branded as a Planet X/Beacon/Ribble or some other UK company that import painted versions and sell them as their own.

Looks a bit like a Ribble. Quite alot of gold standard sportive riders claim they’re just as good as a Cervelo/De Rosa/Madone etc.

import

Front end is definitely Deng Fu, but the rear wishbone is different to any of their road frames – but very similar to their FM059 disc cross frame

grum

I dunno, carbon road bikes all look the same to me. I said they don’t look identical – but I don’t see how you can say this looks ‘nothing like’ the one in the OP.

Shibboleth

Quite alot of gold standard sportive riders claim they’re just as good as a Cervelo/De Rosa/Madone etc.

All I can say is not many of those “gold standard” riders have ever ridden a Cervélo!

The Ribble R872 is identical to the De Rosa 838, but that is De Rosa’s bottom of the range carbon frameset and Ribble’s top of the range.

A real Cervélo is a completely different animal.

Shibboleth

Grum, the only part that’s remotely similar is the fork!

It doesn’t have the squoval tube profiles on head/down tubes, or the simple, straight-edged tapered head tube.

The seat tube is “similar” but has a cutaway for the front mech, so I suspect it’s symmetrical. The rear stays aren’t as thin and the bridge looks big and chunky. The dropouts are completely different and the chain stays don’t look as boxy, or asymmetric like on a R5.

grum

I’ll have to take your word for it. I obviously have some kind of carbon road bike racism issues.

Although I have the same issue with steel mountain bike frames – can’t work out why people purr over some identical skinny steel triangles but not others.

Edric 64

That cervelo wishbone doesnt look like its built for a biffer !Is there a weight limit on them ?

Shibboleth

The Cervélo wishbone is there to hold the brake caliper and comply with UCI regs. The strength is in the chainstays. 😉

A real Cervélo is a completely different animal.

To be fair, Cervelo look a bit skewiff these days. They all seem to have inline seatpost and -17 degree stems.

grum – Member

I’ll have to take your word for it. I obviously have some kind of carbon road bike racism issues.

Although I have the same issue with steel mountain bike frames – can’t work out why people purr over some identical skinny steel triangles but not others. The difference is in the material not the shape. Manufacturers tweak the shapes slightly but fundamentaly theyre very similar. The difference is in the materials and layup. A heavily butted 953 frame will feel different to an identical frame from 3mm wall thickness hi-ten steel. Similarly one layup will be different to another inside the very similar looking frames.

MTB Rob

LOL, you should not be asking if it “looks” like a big brand bike,
    you should be asking is it built with the same carbon weave, direction, resin, and layered the same etc.

You can have 2 carbon bike from the same “mould” but if you use dif carbon spec their be 2 total different bikes when riding.

But most just don’t now/see that and just go on price……

atlaz

But most just don’t now/see that and just go on price

Bit like that half-price dictionary eh? 😉

Anyway, it’s definitely not the FM066-SL or the FM066. I’d guess it’s one of the older model chinese carbon copies

MTB Rob, you sounds like you know your stuff. What are the different weaves? I didnt realise carbon was woven!

I_Ache

Blimey that Chinarello is only £260. Can’t even get a decent second hand Allez for that! Hmmmm

compositepro

Blimey that Chinarello is only £260. Can’t even get a decent second hand Allez for that! Hmmmm

yeah and they are made in the same factory as the real ones

DanW

What are the different weaves? I didnt realise carbon was woven!

Not sure if you are serious 😕 A quick Google can help if you are not sure how some (not all) Carbon Fibre is arranged

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

I don’t really see what the big deal is in thinking it’s made in the same factory, or that it looks a lot like some other frame by some big brand. You’ll never really know for sure (unless you take a trip out there I guess) so just consider it on it’s merits for what it is. And as for buying one then badging it up so that people will think it’s some other brand… 🙄

I_Ache

I’m not under any illusions that the frames are anything like the genuine frames but anything is an upgrade from my 1985 Raleigh. All I would need is a crankset, stem bars and leavers as I have upgraded everything else. Its not like I am taking business away from Pinarello or even Specialized (Allez comparison).

I didnt realise carbon was woven!

‘Carbon fibre’ is actualy carbon fibre reinforced plastic, the plastic is very stong in compression, the carbon is strong in tension, mix them together an you get a very strong composite material.

Similarly concrete is very strong in compression, you can build huge towers from it, but it’s rubbish in tension, which is why it cracks if the buildings loaded oddly. To make it stong in tension you add steel bars to the structure inside the concreet, just like the carbon fibres in the plastic.

The Carbon can be in various forms:

Chopped strand mat is like the homeade paper you made in GCSE art class, randomly aligned matting. Only used in big stuff like racing boat boat hulls where the cost/weight makes if favourable. It’s very cheep, but quite heavy as it absorbs lots of resin and isnt very strong (as it’s equaly stong in all directions). The resin can either be pre impregnated into the cloth or applied by the builder (which is less accurate and more likely to induce voids).

Woven fibres are more like a sheet of cloth, and can come in various weavings biasing the threads in different directions, making it very strong in one direction, but with just enough fibres to hold it together in the other direction (called uni directional fibre). This is what’s used for bikes, small boats, F1 cars etc, where weight saving is important and people will pay the cost and the direction the forces are taken van be very carefully controlled to make it flexible in some ways, stiff in others and very strong where needed. The ammount of resin used is less than with CSM but more than ribon, it’s often pre impregnated into the cloth to get the ratio exactly right. In it’s raw state it looks a bit like the decorative 3k/6k/12k weave some manufacturers apply as a last layer to make it look like carbon fibre, otherwise it’s just a flat black colour.

The most expensive way is to use it as a ribbon, but this is only used for things like windsurf masts (and carbon tubes if you’re going for a lugged construction) as you can only make simple tubular shapes. The component is woven direclty onto a blank which rotates and the ribon moves up and down and the resin is metered out accurately onto the carbon fibre. This makes them very light and very strong, but of limited use as you’re limited to shapes you can move the machine arround.

The quality/strength of the fibres is also important, usualy given a number to signify it’s tensile strentgh, commonly Toray fibre would be somewhere between T300 (what most brands would call carbon fibre) and T1000, different brands all call it different things, high modulous in one brand might be 600, another 800, another brand might call T1000 ultra high modulous, etc.

Nano fibres are tinly little fibres formed from tube shaped carbonn molecules that when mixed into the resin add no weight but give the resin tensile strength meaning less matt can be used.

maxlite

Looks more like a Ribble or De Rosa 838, I suppose if you glance at it you might say its similar to an R5.

Its the tube profile’s that give the copy away, they are not squoval…….and the R5 is amazing to ride 😀

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

TINAS… thank you 🙂

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

The company that sells them do a couple of Venge tributes and a Chinarello Dogma

I saw some current product from -‘top-end reputed-brands’- in the same place as a chinarello and a spesh copy a while back. Brand means a lot more over here than there and there’s so many ways to make a carbon bike.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone shed any light on this Chinese roadie frame.?’ is closed to new replies.