Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a good book about home brewing?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

I’m sure there are a myriad of good websites and forums but this is for my dad and he doesn’t do computers. He’s contemplating converting his shed for home brew purposes so anything that covers the process and maybe a bit of a breakdown of the kit needed.

Thanks

Clobber
    Free Member
    jimjam
    Free Member

Thanks clobber.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gobuchul
    Free Member

I am assuming he’s looking at doing “proper” all grain brewing?

If so, then I would recommend 2 books for starting out:

Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

and Brew Your Own British Real Ale by Graham Wheeler

The first one is a bargain and has very clear step by step instructions and photos. It’s what I followed to get started.

Warn your dad, it’s very addictive and once you get used to the beer it’s hard to drink most of the commercial rubbish.

jimjam
    Free Member

gobuchul

Warn your dad, it’s very addictive and once you get used to the beer it’s hard to drink most of the commercial rubbish.

I think he’s counting on that 😀

aroyalnit
    Free Member

+1 on the Greg Hughes book. I got a little confused by lots of differing resources on the net when planning my first all grain run about a year ago, and it helped get the whole process clear in my head.

I can also highly recommend getting a temperature control fridge setup for fermentation sooner rather than later (the Hughes book doesn’t touch on this too much IIRC). I was lucky with my first couple of brews, but summer hit and the next couple fermented at slightly too high a temperature – cloudy beer and didn’t taste as good as it could have. Got a 2nd hand fridge, heat belt and temperature controller (stc1000), and put it together for <£100. All later brews came out fantastic!

Haze

How to Brew by Palmer

thejesmonddingo

You could download and print Palmer,it’s a good clear guide
    http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a good book about home brewing?’ is closed to new replies.