Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a decent gumshield/mouthguard?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Maybe one for the martial artists/boxers/rugby/hockey players?

Been though about 3 just now. Started out with a cheap Blitz sport one which is OK but doesnt feel great. Then I went for a £25 Jaco once but it was a double guard and would fit my mouth correctly so had to bin it.

Last one was and RDX gel one which fitted well, but (as with all of them) made me gag.

I have quite a strong gag reflex, but after chipping a tooth last night sparring (without a guard) I am looking for something else.

Tempted to try the RDX once again and trim the backs off each side, but i tried this with the original once after I had already molded it and got sharp edges. Tries to remold and couldn’t get it to refit properly. The RDX one did seem to fit best out of all 3. Wondering whether to get a “Youth” one which will probably be smaller as I think I have quite a small mouth.

So Any recommendations for a new guard or tips to get over my overly sensitive gag reflex?

DezB
    Free Member

Turned out my kid was really fussy about mouth guards for his rugby – turned out the best one was this.
    Very soft when heated up which makes it very mouldable. (I think I might’ve made up a word there).
    At just £9 worth a try?

Don’t get a kids one, it won’t go over your teeth. He’s 10 and kids ones don’t fit.

BoardinBob

Blitz & RDX are both budget brands. I use Opro and Shock Doctors. I too have a horrible gag reflex and as long as I don’t leave the guards in my mouth but not in place, then I’m ok. Have spewed once though in the gym purely through gag reflex 😳

http://www.made4fighters.com/en/store/equipment/protective-equipment/gum-shields/#brands=0&price=18&min=0&max=18&pn=1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    organic355
    Free Member

can you trim the opro and shock doctors? Need to be able to trim the back

Whic opro to go for though, there are so bloody many?

Bad boy one looks good, but I am far from one, Is there one that says “good boy that knows a bit of karate?

DezB
    Free Member

😆

Opro and Shock Doctor were other brands I tried that my kid didn’t get on with. Money wasting brat!

mrben100
    Free Member

In my rugby playing kickboxing days had numerous ‘heat in hot water and bite down’ types.

Ultimately I went to my dentist and had one made – was an NHS dentist and cost about £40 at the time IIRC – a while ago now mind.

EDIT: during the fitting would not help your gag reflex ❗

DougD

have always used one of the decent shock doctor ones for playing hockey.

Had to have plastic surgery to sort out my lip after getting hit in the face with a stick but the teeth were fine. Was half expecting to take out the gumshield and fine all my top teeth neatly arranged inside it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In my rugby playing kickboxing days had numerous ‘heat in hot water and bite down’ types.

Ultimately I went to my dentist and had one made – was an NHS dentist and cost about £40 at the time IIRC – a while ago now mind.

Agreed. However, I found one that was a hard(er) outer shell that was filled with a heated gel. Bite on that, let it cool and it moulded the inner part properly to my teeth. A bit of a trim around the outer shell, and to remove excess gel and it fits a treat. Really impressed. Can’t remember the name of it, though!

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Go to the dentist and get a mould taken. Get one made from that. Should cost £30 to £40 and will give you a gumshield that is actually comfortable to wear.
    That means you’ll actually wear the thing, automatically making it exactly 97% more effective than shop bought ones.

tor5
    Free Member

+1 for the dentist jobs. I’ve used one for rugby since school. (well a couple due to loss and mankyness) Not lost any teeth or vomited everywhere so a win on both counts 🙂

dunsapie
    Free Member

Another advocate for going to a dentist for one. I could never get a shop one to fit so didn’t wear it and broke a number of teeth playing Rugby, so had one made by the dentist who then cut away some of the back to stop my gag reflex. Protected my teeth from an elbow in the mouth during one game. My son is having his fitted today, costing about £50 but worth it considering the time and effort that has been spent getting his wonky teeth straightened out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a decent gumshield/mouthguard?’ is closed to new replies.