Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • can anyone recommend me a bike lock please?
  • clareymorris

Just something fairly small to pop in my camelbak, for locking the bike in town etc, as I am now a daily bike commuter!!!

Cheers 😀

carlosg
    Free Member

Just something fairly small to pop in my camelbak

the size will depend on how long you want to keep the bike , are you goig to lock the bike in the same place each day? if so then you only need take the lock once then leave it in place .

I've got a Squire Paramount plus which cost me £50 about 8 years ago that I'm very happy with , but I wouldn't want to carry it every day.

clareymorris

Luckily I don't have to lock it at work – and would only pop into town on the odd occasion so would want it with me in my bag really.

clareymorris
    mamadirt
    Free Member

My Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit is still intact (though the school railings didn't fare so well). Not light though but manageable . . . think of the extra training 😉 . That said I carry one of these too and I'm still paranoid 👿 but on days when I can leave my locks behind I really fly 😀

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think you can get pretty short Kryptonite D-locks but they look like it would be a struggle to actually lock your bike to anything substantial with them.

clareymorris

By the way when I say commuter, I mean that in VERY little letters, it is only 1.5 miles!!!!!!

smurf
    Free Member

RiDe mag (a motorbike mag) would be worth a look. I think they still have a section at the back of the mad that lists recommend / tested / best buys.

They test things pretty well so I'd go with the D lock they recommend

Smurf

mamadirt
    Free Member

clareymorris – Member

Would it be worth me looking at something like this?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/Locks-Abus-Steel-O-Flex-950/ABUSLOCK230

No – I can send you a pic of my cropped one if you like 👿

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If all you want is a basic lock to deter casual thieves then a decent padlock and cable is OK. If you want something that has more resistance to bolt croppers it will cost and weigh a fair amount.

MrTall
    Free Member

I posted this up yesterday :-

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-if-youre-in-the-market-for-a-new-d-lock-bargain-at-decathlon

Bit big maybe for a backpack but it does come with a bracket to fix to the bike if you want? Good protection for a very good price.

Failing that i like combination locks so you never have to worry about remembering keys. Protection levels not so good though.

edhornby

kryptonite evolution mini like this but there will be cheaper vendors I'm sure

gcaster
    Free Member

Has anyone got one of the Kryptonite Evo Minis?
    I'm toying with buying one but was wondering whether they fit round most landposts and standard bike stands (like these)?

You can get these for just shy of £30 on amazon or eBay. Cheapest I've found.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Abus Futura Mini. Tiny, light and strong.

coffeeking
    Free Member

None of them will outlast these, trust me (having used them on several types of high Q bike locks)!

But I'd say any hardened steel decent quality chain would provide a decent deterrent. But anything that's easy to carry isn't going to be much of one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘can anyone recommend me a bike lock please?’ is closed to new replies.