Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can anyone recommend an IP camera for home use?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Morning all, I’m thinking of getting a security camera for my home & I have had a look on ebay & there are loads ranging from about £40 to upward of £500.
    But because I trust you lot & your judgement I would like a personal recommendation from someone who has used one please, I would like to be able to record on a PC/iMac if possible & be able to see the picture on my phone, night vision, alerts etc. I have no idea how much a good one will cost so open on the budget.
    Thanks in advance

Cheers.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I bought one of these –
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wanscam-All-in-one-10-IR-LED-IP-Camera-WPA-Wireless-Internet-PTZ-Dual-Audio-UK-/300906041070

a few weeks back and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Will show on phone and email you pictures of movement etc. +night vision (though I haven’t checked the range of that), nor have I checked for record functionality.

There’s a variety of similar/same ones branded under foscam or wanscam that probably equally good. Foscam is possibly a better bet as I think they are the originator of the design and consequently any firmware upgrades are more likely to work.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks Ian, the newest Foscam is the F19802w but it not available here yet, I may risk getting it from Hong Kong & see if I get stung by customs 😉

BTW have you had problems or are you just being cautious ?
    Cheers.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ian – how do you set up the internet viewing? Using dyanmic DNS forwarder?

Milkie
    Free Member

I have a Foscam IP camera. I think it’s the F19802w, possibly not as I have had it for a couple of years.. Mine does not record video, but does take a photo with motion and email me.

The quality of the photo’s and video is pretty poor (640×480). Night vision will not work through a window. I will check the model when I get home.

You could make a better one with a Raspberry Pi and the new camera they do. 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

@Stoner got static IPs, so just opened a port on the router and forwarded it to the camera’s ip

Martin, just being cautious. I haven’t really used it enough to pass much comment on it. I just stuck it up in the top of a shed to monitor a swallows nest but the little gits haven’t turn up this year.

somouk
    Free Member

I use a D Link 942L and it’s been excellent.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks Ian et al.

Burger

Check Techmoan here for a couple of IP camera reviews.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OK, so I bought the Foscam F19802w, I can see the picture over Ethernet, but I’m damned if I can get it to work with wireless, has anybody seen or know of an easy solution ? I have been trying for a couple of evenings now 🙁
    Cheers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend an IP camera for home use?’ is closed to new replies.