Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • can anyone recommend a good travel book
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

reading Long Way Round at the moment but almost finished and not sure what to try next (other than Long Way Down)

Jupiters Travels appealed to me but can anyone rcommend any others?

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I really enjoy Colin Thubron but mostly written a couple of decades ago.

jupiter
    Free Member

Road Fever by Tim Cahill
    Winterdance by Gary Paulsen
    Terra Incognita by Sara Wheeler
    The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Tahir Shah.
    Just to start you off with.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Good vibrations by Tom Cunliffe – taking a couple of Harley's across the states.

Didn't realise it was the same bloke who likes the boats on TV until I just looked it up to check the author.

Tony Hawks books are pretty good for a laugh, any Bill Bryson (Walk in teh woods is one of my fave's)

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux, father of Louis. Modern-era independant Africa-overland trip. Light humour and pretty accurate in just about all of his observations/commentaries.

jackthedog
    Free Member

If motorbike travel is your thing, Lois Pryce is worth a read.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

French Revolutions – by Tim Moore.

Non-cycling Ordinary Joe sets out on a whim to cycle the route of the Tour de France.

Funny and poignant in equal measure – particularly where he describes his ascent of Mount Ventoux and explains the Tom Simpson tragedy.

JulianA
    Free Member

In Xanadu + From The Holy Mountain + everything else by William Dalrymple
    Travels With A Tangerine + Hall Of A Thousand Columns – Tim Mackintosh-Smith
    Everything by Patrick Leigh Fermor

jahwomble
    Free Member

I second Tim Cahill's Road Fever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anything by Bruce Chatwin.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I'm enjoying, Two wheels on my wagon at the moment.

ross980
    Free Member

French Revolutions – by Tim Moore.

What StefMcDef said. Brilliant book.

mrmo
    Free Member

Two books that i read back to back and i think it works, is Bill Bryson notes from a small island and Paul Theroux Kingdom by the Sea. Two very different views of the same thing,

Could try wilfred thesinger, dry verging on sociology rather than dynamic travelog, Colin Thubron, or nicholas crane clear water rising.

cranberry
    Free Member

Also Frost On My Moustache by Tim Moore

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Penguins stopped play.

Brilliant and touching read.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

All of Tim Moores stuff, Down Under by Bill Bryson, and both of Pete McCarthy's books. Also Pies and prejudice by Stuart Maconie.

NZCol

Yep Tim Moore fan here as well, still love reading French Revolutions, always makes me laugh.

falkirk-mark

The world atlas

seven
    Free Member

spy on the roof of the world travel as you wouldn't want to do it 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

2 wheels on my wagon – paul howard, tour divide race

moods of future joy – al humphrys ride round the world

cordillia erik bruntjen – tour divide

if you liked long way round then loose the idiot of the pair and get boormans – by any means – hes by far the better writer out of the pair and by any means is my favorite book of his. –

Long ride for a pie by time mulliner

Kevevs
    Free Member

I liked French Revolutions.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

If you can find them on ebay nick crane and his cousin wrote some great bike adventure books in the 80's, a couple of saracen mtb up kilimanjaro etc. I recently reread 'journey to the centre of the earth' where they take a couple of lightweight (and then take light weight to extremes) bikes to the geographical centre of the eartg.

roper
    Free Member

So am I the only one who found "French Revolutions" to be predictable, mediocre and not very funny?
    I'd read a few pages before buying if I were you.

DrJ

In Xanadu + From The Holy Mountain + everything else by William Dalrymple

+1

Everything by Patrick Leigh Fermor

-1 (for political reasons 🙂 )

Everything by Eric Newby

ross980
    Free Member

So am I the only one who found "French Revolutions" to be predictable, mediocre and not very funny?
    I'd read a few pages before buying if I were you.

I think you might be… 😉 but then books, like most things are subjective. I wouldn't judge French Revolutions on the first chapter as for me it didn't get laugh out loud funny until a few chapters in. I've tried reading another Tim Moore book (the Monopoly board one) and didn't like it at all, I don't think I even made it half way through.

fubar
    Free Member

I know I did read it but can barely remember it so I guess I thought it was mediocre too.

anagallis_arvensis

if you liked long way round then loose the idiot of the pair and get boormans – by any means – hes by far the better writer out of the pair and by any means is my favorite book of his. –

Funny because having watched both series and read both books I know who I'd like to go for a ride or a beer with and its not that tit Boorman. Beside which I dont think either had much to do with writting the Long way books.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bill Bryson.

johnduke
    Free Member

Mountains of the Mind by Robert Macfarlane. Much more than a travel book and totally absorbing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘can anyone recommend a good travel book’ is closed to new replies.