Can anyone recommend a decent steel hardtail frame for under 350 quid?

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  katsp.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a decent steel hardtail frame for under 350 quid?
  • Hi all,

My previous bike died due to a crack in the frame and the manu has offered me a like-for-like, but they are not sus-corrected. I guess I will probably take the replacement and have to sell it and buy something which is sus-corrected. I have a 100mm travel RockShox – tapered. I’m kinda attached to my suspension now and reluctant to go back to rigid. I looked at Karate Monkeys, but they are spendy as. So far, I have found a Sonder Frontier frame for less than 300 quid, which seems to fit the spec, but not sure, its alu and I prefer steel. Any ideas?

Thanks!

PS looking at 27.5+ …

stevemuzzy

Hmm, how much is a Genesis tarn frame? That would suit.

Genesis say it’s 120-130mm fork only. My Rockshox are basically brand new so not keen to eBay them as I’d lose most of the value.

Premier Icon mickolas
    Subscriber

Which fork? Can the travel be increased? That would open up more options…

Premier Icon spev
    Subscriber

What frame have you broken/been offered?
    Edit
    And what wheel size?

Premier Icon mickolas
    Subscriber

And what axle standard rear wheel?

Onza had some cheap steel on offer

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

I’ve a Cotic Solaris (mk2, pre-Longshot, size large) that I rarely ride and could be convinced to split…

Running HOPE hubs/wheelset, so I understand 135mm can be converted to 148mm (for the Sonder) easily enough. Fork is a 100mm tapered Rockshox Reba (or maybe the one above that, can’t remember, it was about 300 quid). Frame offered is a brand new Genesis Longitude, Medium 27.5+/29er. If it’s the orange frameset featured on their website, it will be hard to part with, as it looks rather lovely. That said, I’m quite attached to my Rockhsox too!

damascus

What riding do you do?

Is 100 mm travel enough?

You could always sell/swop those forks and buy some more with 120 travel which opens up more choice.

Are you sticking with 27.5 because you like it or because that’s the wheels you have got?

Premier Icon mickolas
    Subscriber

I think the reba can be opened up to 120mm for free by removing internal spacers. Others will know better than me. I think not recommended if it’s qr but fine for 15mm maxle.

Mosty bikepacking, X/C stuff. I like 27.5, always had them and had no reason to change. My wheelset was costly too, so not in a rush to change it for an inferior product.

Premier Icon spev
    Subscriber

Marino ? they’ll build it how you want it, just copy whatever geometry you fancy and away you go 🙂

Mbnut

Buy the Frontier.

Go ride.

Sorted.

Steel is real………. heavy, overpriced, overrated blah blah blah.

katsp

Sounds a lot like the cotic bfe 26. There are so many nice parts on a newish geometry hardtail. And it was only 350 quid as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.