Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a decent chain cleaning device and fluid?
  • Daffy

Preferably an on-bike one, but might be persuaded to buy additional chains and swap during cleaning.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I’ve always used the Park chain cleaner and it has done me well and you can buy replacement brushes when they get knackered to so helps to keep it cost effective over time.

Cleaner wise I tend to buy a bulk bottle of whatever degreaser is on offer in chiggle or my LBS at the time and use that to be honest.

Far more interested in what lube goes on the chain but that opens up a huge can of opinion worms so let’s not go there.

Hope that helps.

James

leffeboy

Park one too.  Seems to work the best of all of the devices I’ve ever used. Just painting degreaser on works as well but the park tool thing is slightly easier

I use finish Line degreaser. Far too expensive but works well

gringo

I use the Fenwicks chain cleaner and a brush. Comes up lovely with minimal effort.

ta11pau1

Fenwick Green cleaner (neat) and an X tools chain cleaner, does a brilliant job.

winston
    Free Member

I can definitely NOT recommend the Ice Toolz chain scrubber.

One of the worst designed tools I’ve ever had the misfortune to use. Luckily it broke on first use so wasnt tempted to use it a second time. Garbage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Park Cleaner with Finish Line Eco degreaser.

Been using that for nigh on twenty years!

timber

Quick link, big syrup tin and degreaser of choice.
    Chain in, lid on, shake up. Hang to dry afterwards.

qwerty
    Free Member

A small deep fat fryer filled with Putoline Chain Wax.

paton
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rock n roll extreme blue.

Never need to clean the chain.

oikeith

I’ve been really impressed with the Peatys drive train cleaner and I use it with two toothbrushes taped together for the chain and a 3rd for the chaining, cassette and jockey wheels

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

soft paintbrush and a bottle of paraffin.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Putoline and a deep fat fryer, cleans, lubes and stops any future cack sticking to it in one.

soft paintbrush and a bottle of paraffin.

A bit of an environmental disaster, all that paraffin has to end up somewhere!

IHN

Then: hot soapy water and a brush

Now: a camping stove and a tin of Putoline chain wax

slowoldman

paton’s video is the way I do it. Wheel off, chain keeper. Of course you could combine that with a cleaning machine.

scotroutes

Stiff brush.

Fairy liquid.

Mostly, I never bother.

Daffy

Thanks for the recommendations. I eventually bought the Park and it’s awesome and oddly addictive.

CheesybeanZ

I’ve got an Lidl/Aldi one and use screwfix degreaser- diluted with water
    Works a treat.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Old water bottle, white spirit, give it a shake and let it soak.
    Rinse with a blob of fairy liquid and then rinse with water.
    Save the white spirit in a jam jar, next time you need to use it all the dirt will have settled to the bottom…

Reusable…

Repeat…

jk1980
    Free Member

I use the Morgan Blue degreaser along with the park chain tool, works a treat

orangepaul
    Free Member

Fenwicks chain sponge(£2 on Amazon)Works great with a decent cleaner

teef
    Free Member
    jodafett

Another fan of the Fenwicks sponge here. Use it with muc-off degreaser and chain comes up perfect every time.

granny_ring

Anyone else have the handle snap on their park chain cleaner?
    It snapped years ago and I did bugger all about it, re warranty as I couldn’t find the receipt.
    It is a good chain cleaner for sure though and their chain cleaning fluid is the best I’ve used but very expensive so when that ran out I just used normal degreaser.

bikesandboots

Rock n roll extreme blue.

Never need to clean the chain.

Thanks for the recommendation Nobeerinthefridge, glad I saw this thread 3 months ago and bought that stuff rather than a chain cleaner.

holmes81
    Free Member

As per the Morgan Blue vid.

Chain keeper on degrease scrub rinse clean dry and lube.

Green-Oil degeaser, cleaner and lube all very good.

Did have a chain cleaner but found it didn’t sort the cassette.

Taking rear wheel out I sort that whilst frame is drying.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I was impressed with Park Chain cleaning fluid when I got some with a chain cleaning mechanism which is a citrus based cleaner. So I got a 5L container of Viro-sol off eBay which is a citrus cleaner & detergent which is pretty cheap – for 5L – and cleans chains brilliantly & certainly as good as the Park cleaner.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

No idea if this is of any use to you mate, but a chinese takeaway box filled with PlusGas always brings my chains up magnificently.
    Also, the electrolyte fluid out of a spark eroder , placed in an ultrasonic cleaner will get a chain absolutely sparkling.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Park & paraffin

[although I have a novel way to hold the Park cleaner]

kula72
    Free Member

I got a Chinese park copy off eBay. Use some cheap 5 L degreaser neat and it’s spotless after 60 seconds of effort.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a decent chain cleaning device and fluid?’ is closed to new replies.