Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can anyone recommend a cheap hotel in Hong Kong ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Evening all.

Going off to Hong Kong for a few days, at the end of April / beginning of May, and need somewhere to stay. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for hotels or similar. Not too expensive would be ideal, but don’t want to slum it too hard either.

Never been before, so I’ve no idea what I’m looking for, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TheBrick
    Free Member

Take a look around Sha Tin area. Still plenty going on and good connection but no right in the center so cheaper.

tron
    Free Member

Work or fun? Where will you need to be? And how cheap?

TheFlyingOx

airbnb.com
    Used it extensively in Indonesia and Singapore. Lovely places, very cheap. Best deal was a two-building private villa with maid service and pool in Bali, less than £200 for the week. Similarly, 3 nights in someone’s spare room in Singapore for £40 when hotels were double that per night.

iain1775
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend ShaTin after staying there for 3 weeks with work recently
    Yes it’s not central which can be nice as its quieter but last MTR from HK island is at 10.30pm and taxis whilst reasonable can be a PITA, few times I had to get a cross river taxi and then a second taxi back
    Not much to do in Shatin itself other than a shopping centre (full of Chinese mainlanders who come down on the train with huge wheeled suitcases) the Temple of 10,000’s Buddhas, and a museum, both of which are good for an hour or two max

If your only there a few days you really want to be down around TST or on the island rather than wasting 40 minutes each way on the MTR

Fantastic city, loads to see and absorb, Great mountain biking too

nickdavies

Where do you need to be/want to stay? What kind of budget?

Wharney Guangdong is my usual on the island, it’s in the middle of it all and probably the cheapest you’ll get that’s in the centre but not a dump. (Don’t expect much for the £50 a night it’ll cost you though!) Kowloon side the Guangdong in TST is the same. Little bit out from the action on the island you’ll find stuff like the harbour plaza, cosmo and cosmopolitan all decent for not huge money. That’s assuming your on business travel, or only doing a short trip and want to be in the hub of it.

If you want to be a bit further out then north of Kowloon you’ll find decent stuff for less money, but I wouldn’t know where to go up there. I tend to find British Airways are giving the best rates at the moment, i’ve booked the last few trips through them.

fettling
    Free Member

Have stayed at the YWCA (young woman!) which had a pool. About £59 a night.
    Or for a little more £75 a night the Cosmopolitan does a great buffet breakfast and can be found for cheap as part of a BA flights hotels package.
    Both are central enough for the tourist stuff, the cosmopolitan is slightly better placed. I would happily stay at either again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spent a night at the Holiday Inn Express in Sheung Wan recently. Clean, tidy, nicely located. Breakfast was rancid, however.

stewartc
    Free Member

I often suggest the airport hotels to friends staying as the local transportation means it’s a short trip into the tourist spots.
    Do you have a budget in mind as there is a lot of choice?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Hi folks.

Thanks for all the replies. Never been there before, and only going for a few days to see some friends who are working out there, so somewhere central would be pretty good.

Not too fussed about quality, as I’ll only be using it for sleeping, although clean and safe would be nice. Budget wise, between £60 – £100 a night would be ok.

I’ll check out some of your suggestions later on tonight.

Seriously, STW really is the best place to ask these sort of questions.

Thanks again everyone.

Travis

Cosmopolitan near the Football club is good, but I prefer the Charterhouse in WanChai.
    They have good deals going on.
    I have also started using Airbnb as well, stayed on some cool quirky places.

jordie
    Free Member

The Icon in TST is nice some deals online if you book earlish. The Gym has the best views of any gym

brant
    Free Member

airbnb.com
    Used it extensively in Indonesia and Singapore. Lovely places, very cheap. Best deal was a two-building private villa with maid service and pool in Bali, less than £200 for the week. Similarly, 3 nights in someone’s spare room in Singapore for £40 when hotels were double that per night.

Hadn’t seen this before. Great site / app

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ahhhh, Wan Chai!

Used to stay at the Renaissance Harbour View often. Great hotel and pool. Many a happy night out in Wan Chai. Dinner at American Peking, then drinking and RAWK at Amazonia. Happy days!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend a cheap hotel in Hong Kong ?’ is closed to new replies.