Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can anyone make me a phone back in carbon fibre?
  • martinwilly
    Free Member

My idiot Sony xperia Z3 compact is decent but has a glass back that I have broken 8 times. Could someone cut me a carbon sheet alternative?

I’ll pay you!

I have looked for these being for sale online as everybody with one of these stupid phones must dream of going a month without cracking the rear glass. Found nowt.

wwaswas

I used a LoveMei case on my Z5 compact – fairly heavy but *loads* of protection.

this is the z3 version https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-Powerful-Shockproof-protective-Makibes-Black/dp/B00P8TYLD0?tag=georiot-giz-21&ie=UTF8&ascsubtag=giz-1151822303-21
    [advert]
    I’m just changing phones so if the Z3 and Z5 are the same dimensions you could buy mine and try that?
    [/advert]

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A rubberised plastic back case would be far more suitable material for that purpose i.e. impact absorbsion. Why carbon? Carbon will just transmit forces straight through to your phone and not prevent the glass from cracking.

martinwilly
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas. I want to avoid an ugly case really but you’re probably right.

Wobbliscott: I’m not talking about adding a protective case or layer. The back of the phone itself is gorilla glass. It cracks under slight pressure because it is not wholly supported by the phone internals underneath. It’s completely rigid. Carbon fibre could be slim enough to replace the glass back but would not suffer cracking from local pressure.

martinwilly
    Free Member

Worth noting that that glass back has cracked even when the phone is in my Snakehive case. It’s just crap: that’s the main problem with Sony’s design here.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Stick in in a case then you dont need to look at the cracked back.

tall_martin

I have had acouple of the tempered glass backs for my Z3.

The replaceable glass has broken without cracking the actual glass back.

Cheapish of ebay.

Less faff than getting a custom cut sheet of carbon?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone make me a phone back in carbon fibre?’ is closed to new replies.