Can anyone ID these mushrooms?
Most fungi are likely to be not worth eating, some are very toxic, others will just make you ill. Unless you’ve got little ones who might go investigating them and putting them in their mouths, I’d let them be.
Now, if they were creating a ring on your lawn, and had caps like a pixie hat and beige coloured, you might be able to get a trade going…
Those, it’s really difficult to tell from such a tiny lo-res photo.Posted 1 month ago
Can’t ID them ,but we have the same type in our border at the front of the house,North facing so perfect conditions for fungi this year,and there wasn’t many hard frosts so maybe that’s helped.Posted 1 month ago
really difficult to tell from such a tiny lo-res photo.
If you click it, you’ll get a bigger picture.
I’m happy to lave them be, but just worried if the dog munches a few.. not that I think he would as they don’t smell like cheese, sausage or chicken 😀Posted 1 month ago
Depends on the dog, most won’t eat mushrooms but friends have an Irish Water Spaniel so thick it once eat the sand off a beach and had to go for an emergency collonic jetwash at a nearby vets.Posted 1 month ago
Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150Singletrack Reader Awards - Most De...
If you click it, you’ll get a bigger picture.
You need photo’s all round to ID mushrooms.
After that many require cutting or bruising etc.
Another excellent video from Mike Boyd a couple of days ago. (With resources in the description)Posted 1 month ago
App says Mica inkcap but that’s from a single photo.Posted 1 month ago
It’s a week free trial so perhaps download and take top, side and bottom but treat as toxic
MagicPosted 1 month ago
Cool! I didn’t know the tap on the photo trick! They looked familiar, and ink cap fits the bill, although I’ve never seen them in those numbers. Common ink caps are quite edible, so long as they’re picked fresh before the cap opens and starts to liquify along the bottom. Fried in butter, apparently. Same with puffball fungi, while they’re still young and firm. (Missus).Posted 1 month ago
Thanks all, so not death head, organ destroyers? Good to know, I’ll leave them be then.Posted 1 month ago
My friend came round this eve and suggested they might be ink caps, but he’s not an expert, other than identifying liberty caps 🙂
Mushrooms are scary.Posted 1 month ago
Mushrooms are scary.
No, there a some very dangerous mushrooms, but the majority are harmless and we should stop being so intimidating by them. We’ve just grown up with a “OMG it’s muchroom I could die” culture, which is not terrible for small children but as rational adults, maybe become more educated about them instead?
Riding round mid wales this last weekend, the amount of huge Penny bun/porcini, as well as the more harmful but pretty (& obviously dangerous) Fly agaric was amazing. Though time and time again I kept find ones that are kicked over, just because ppl are scared of them.Posted 1 month ago
reminds me of the time my father-in-law picked some field mushrooms, fried them in some butter, had them on toast.
2 hours later, shit himself inside out in the middle of a round of golf at the furthest point from the clubhouse…Posted 1 month ago
Thanks all, so not death head, organ destroyers? Good to know, I’ll leave them be then.
I like Mike Boyd’s triple system before eating… App + book + google
Mica inkcap apparently teeter between inedible and edible and mildly poisonous to HUMANS ..
doesn’t mean they won’t kill the dog nor pass the 3/3 test.
They are incredibly common though so leaving them isn’t doing a big ecological favour.Posted 1 month ago
There’s one fungi that I’m glad we don’t have here in the U.K., it’s apparently the second deadliest fungi in the world…
The fire mushroom, or Kaentake, has no antidote, if eaten then medical staff will try to make the victim as comfortable as possible while they die. It’s not even safe to touch the damned things!
Just touching a fire mushroom can cause a host of issues, according to the squadron’s safety slide. These include severe itching, sores, red skin, skin shedding, distortion of senses, loss of muscle coordination, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, nose and throat pain, cough, sneezing, difficulty breathing, wheezing, spitting up blood and bleeding disorders.
😳Posted 1 month ago
2 hours later, shit himself inside out in the middle of a round of golf at the furthest point from the clubhouse…
🤣 Marvellous. I do love a good tale where foolhardiness meets its comeuppance.Posted 1 month ago
No, there a some very dangerous mushrooms, but the majority are harmless and we should stop being so intimidating by them.
I was actually thinking along the lines of the Ophiocordyceps unilateralis fungi.Posted 1 month ago
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.
Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.