Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can anyone ID these mushrooms?
  • mattyfez
    Full Member

    Loads of the buggers sprung up on the flower beds, just concerned if they are poisonous?

    CountZero
    Full Member

    Most fungi are likely to be not worth eating, some are very toxic, others will just make you ill. Unless you’ve got little ones who might go investigating them and putting them in their mouths, I’d let them be.
    Now, if they were creating a ring on your lawn, and had caps like a pixie hat and beige coloured, you might be able to get a trade going…

    Those, it’s really difficult to tell from such a tiny lo-res photo.

    fasthaggis
    Full Member

    Can’t ID them ,but we have the same type in our border at the front of the house,North facing so perfect conditions for fungi this year,and there wasn’t many hard frosts so maybe that’s helped.

    mattyfez
    Full Member

    really difficult to tell from such a tiny lo-res photo.

    If you click it, you’ll get a bigger picture.

    I’m happy to lave them be, but just worried if the dog munches a few.. not that I think he would as they don’t smell like cheese, sausage or chicken 😀

    chickenman
    Full Member

    Depends on the dog, most won’t eat mushrooms but friends have an Irish Water Spaniel so thick it once eat the sand off a beach and had to go for an emergency collonic jetwash at a nearby vets.

    Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150

    Singletrack Reader Awards - Most De...
    Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150
    stevextc
    Free Member

    If you click it, you’ll get a bigger picture.

    You need photo’s all round to ID mushrooms.
    After that many require cutting or bruising etc.

    Another excellent video from Mike Boyd a couple of days ago. (With resources in the description)

    sobriety
    Free Member

    I think they might be inkcaps

    Glistening Inkcap

    Woodland Inkcap

    But I’m not even a layman, I just went through that website looking for ones that seemed to match.

    stevextc
    Free Member

    App says Mica inkcap but that’s from a single photo.
    It’s a week free trial so perhaps download and take top, side and bottom but treat as toxic

    eyestwice
    Full Member

    Magic

    CountZero
    Full Member

    Cool! I didn’t know the tap on the photo trick! They looked familiar, and ink cap fits the bill, although I’ve never seen them in those numbers. Common ink caps are quite edible, so long as they’re picked fresh before the cap opens and starts to liquify along the bottom. Fried in butter, apparently. Same with puffball fungi, while they’re still young and firm. (Missus).

    mattyfez
    Full Member

    Thanks all, so not death head, organ destroyers? Good to know, I’ll leave them be then.
    My friend came round this eve and suggested they might be ink caps, but he’s not an expert, other than identifying liberty caps 🙂

    dyna-ti
    Full Member

    Mushrooms are scary.

    z1ppy
    Free Member

    dyna-ti
    Mushrooms are scary.

    No, there a some very dangerous mushrooms, but the majority are harmless and we should stop being so intimidating by them. We’ve just grown up with a “OMG it’s muchroom I could die” culture, which is not terrible for small children but as rational adults, maybe become more educated about them instead?

    Riding round mid wales this last weekend, the amount of huge Penny bun/porcini, as well as the more harmful but pretty (& obviously dangerous) Fly agaric was amazing. Though time and time again I kept find ones that are kicked over, just because ppl are scared of them.

    jam-bo
    Full Member

    reminds me of the time my father-in-law picked some field mushrooms, fried them in some butter, had them on toast.

    2 hours later, shit himself inside out in the middle of a round of golf at the furthest point from the clubhouse…

    stevextc
    Free Member

    mattyfez

    Thanks all, so not death head, organ destroyers? Good to know, I’ll leave them be then.

    I like Mike Boyd’s triple system before eating… App + book + google
    Mica inkcap apparently teeter between inedible and edible and mildly poisonous to HUMANS ..
    doesn’t mean they won’t kill the dog nor pass the 3/3 test.

    They are incredibly common though so leaving them isn’t doing a big ecological favour.

    CountZero
    Full Member

    There’s one fungi that I’m glad we don’t have here in the U.K., it’s apparently the second deadliest fungi in the world…

    https://www.stripes.com/theaters/asia_pacific/2022-09-29/japan-poison-fire-coral-deadly-fungus-7508977.html

    The fire mushroom, or Kaentake, has no antidote, if eaten then medical staff will try to make the victim as comfortable as possible while they die. It’s not even safe to touch the damned things!

    Just touching a fire mushroom can cause a host of issues, according to the squadron’s safety slide. These include severe itching, sores, red skin, skin shedding, distortion of senses, loss of muscle coordination, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, nose and throat pain, cough, sneezing, difficulty breathing, wheezing, spitting up blood and bleeding disorders.

    😳

    configuration
    Free Member

    2 hours later, shit himself inside out in the middle of a round of golf at the furthest point from the clubhouse…

    🤣 Marvellous. I do love a good tale where foolhardiness meets its comeuppance.

    dyna-ti
    Full Member

    No, there a some very dangerous mushrooms, but the majority are harmless and we should stop being so intimidating by them.

    I was actually thinking along the lines of the  Ophiocordyceps unilateralis fungi.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.